Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by OMCA
Went ahead and took everyone's advice and e-mailed the office of the CEO. Page-long e-mail with every step and failure along the way. Included copies of the voucher, my receipt from the Bistro and equally important, the e-mail chain to "Customer Care" where they neatly assigned a case number but didn't do anything with said case.

Within 12 hours I got a call from Utah. I received about 10-12 "I'm sorry..." (I guess the evidence was compelling) and was promised that the property would get back to me to rectify this. HQ was particularly surprised given the fact that the voucher says right on it "member + 1 guest". Less than a day went by and I received an e-mail from the property's Assistant GM, apologizing, stating a credit for the $10 will be issued, 2,000 points as "compensation" for the inconvenience and a commitment that her front desk and Bistro staff will be retrained on the Platinum benefits. The $10 and points are negligible, but the if they deliver on the training I'm happy.

It took a lot of time to go through all that but I'm sure many of you have done similar things to help shape loyalty programs into what we value in them so I'm content to have done my part.

Margarita Girl, I wasn't about to start slicing hairs on the currency issue. I honestly wasn't aware if it's supposed to be $10 US or CDN. I can't see it here: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

Thank you for (a) following up on this issue and (b) keeping us informed! I know its a lot of work for $10 and 2000 points but we all benefit!
Horace, Happy and OMCA like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

I couldn’t find an answer to this question but I figured someone has run into it: I have two rooms booked, one with points and one with breakfast included. Would I be able to get breakfast for 4 (2 for platinum benefit in points room and 2 for the room where breakfast is included)? It’s a LC property although it shouldn’t matter.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I couldn’t find an answer to this question but I figured someone has run into it: I have two rooms booked, one with points and one with breakfast included. Would I be able to get breakfast for 4 (2 for platinum benefit in points room and 2 for the room where breakfast is included)? It’s a LC property although it shouldn’t matter.
It should work that way. Be sure and let them know you will be staying in the award room, even though it shouldn't matter!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by ethernal
The new breakfast benefit needs some serious harmonization across the portfolios (at least by brand tier). It is so inconsistent as to not have any idea what you are going to get without checking each individual property. I've been left both happy and incredibly frustrated over the past few stays (all of the below have been over the past week):

Sheraton Memphis: Lounge was apparently open, but when I asked about the breakfast offering, the check-in agent quickly said "oh, I'll give you vouchers if you want more options.." and gave me vouchers to the restaurant. It was very odd (does that imply that the lounge did not really have breakfast? should I have gotten the breakfast vouchers, or was the check-in agent just being nice)? Very befuddling.
Does this mean there was no evening food in the Sheraton Memphis lounge?

Did you otherwise like this hotel? Also, what was it like coming and going to the airport?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
Did you otherwise like this hotel? Also, what was it like coming and going to the airport?
I was just in Memphis. If you're downtown, the Sheraton's location isn't the greatest compared to the Westin, the Peabody or even a couple of the limited-service properties Marriott has opened or is opening. The Sheraton's location is, however, ideal for the convention center and St. Jude's Hospital.

It's also on the opposite end of downtown from the airport. Still, pretty much any of the downtown hotels are 15-20 minutes maximum from the airport.
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Breakfast benefit for Titanium members at Delta hotels

Do Titanium members get complimentary breakfast at Delta hotels?

The benefits summary I was just reading at marriott.com says "vary by brand" but I wasn't able to find a comprehensive list of hotels where breakfast is an option as a benefit.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:41 pm

The only Delta I've stayed at had a "pantry" for Platinum and higher - basically a room with the fancy coffee machine, cereal dispensers, and bottled water/soda from a lounge as well as some packaged snacks. No seating but you could take whatever you wanted and bring it back to your room.

No idea if that's the brand standard or a one off thing.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Tempe AZ.....first time at a Delta, converted from Marriott. Nice pantry + full breakfast in restaurant.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
This is sooooooooooooo Marriott. From late checkouts options to upgrade possibilities to cancellation policies (the exact time) and more, write them as vague as possible so everyone is confused and hard line properties have an out when they say "sorry, it ain't happening". I used to think they hired english poor majors, now I believe the opposite is true on purpose...
They hired very good lawyers.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Do Titanium members get complimentary breakfast at Delta hotels?

The benefits summary I was just reading at marriott.com says "vary by brand" but I wasn't able to find a comprehensive list of hotels where breakfast is an option as a benefit.
Originally Posted by PrancingPonyGoldMember
The only Delta I've stayed at had a "pantry" for Platinum and higher - basically a room with the fancy coffee machine, cereal dispensers, and bottled water/soda from a lounge as well as some packaged snacks. No seating but you could take whatever you wanted and bring it back to your room.

No idea if that's the brand standard or a one off thing.
According to the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, at non-resort Delta Hotels, the Platinum Elite (and higher) breakfast benefit works the same way as at non-resort properties of four other Marriott-legacy brands — JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels — but with one additional "approved alternative."

At these five brands, breakfast is a function of the Guaranteed Lounge Access benefit (not a Welcome Gift choice). A Platinum Elite (and higher) member plus one guest staying in the same room get access to the Concierge Lounge or Executive Lounge or Club Lounge or Signature Club or M Club Lounge or whatever the hotel calls its lounge. Breakfast is in the lounge. If the lounge is closed, or there is no lounge, then it's a choice of breakfast in the restaurant or points (mandatory points at few properties).

At Delta Hotels, the additional "approved altenative" in the Terms & Conditions is this: "At Delta Hotels properties without a Signature Club Lounge, as the approved alternative the Member will receive access to the Elite Pantry."

I have no personal experience with such an Elite Panty. Here on FlyerTalk, they've gotten mixed reviews.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
First stays under Bonvoy as a PP Ambassador, Renaissance Hong Kong Harbor View and JW Macau. Both have lounge breakfast but at check in was told we could use the restaurant if we chose (me and +1). Both restaurants are buffet style but also ~$300 HKD ~$45 USD. Did not have to select as welcome amenity either.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by scracer14
First stays under Bonvoy as a PP Ambassador, Renaissance Hong Kong Harbor View and JW Macau. Both have lounge breakfast but at check in was told we could use the restaurant if we chose (me and +1). Both restaurants are buffet style but also ~$300 HKD ~$45 USD. Did not have to select as welcome amenity either.
Those are examples of hotels offering more than the minimum required by the Terms & Conditions. Excellent!

Unfortunately, there are also properties that provide only the bare minimum — or less than the minimum.

Please share your lounge/breakfast experiences in the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...worldwide.html so that Sharon (SkiAdcock) can keep the Master List current. I always consult this excellent resource when choosing hotels.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
Unfortunately, there are also properties that provide only the bare minimum — or less than the minimum.
Sadly, true. There are confirmed reports of at least a half-dozen resort-designated properties claiming a muffin or bagel with coffee, tea or juice is compliant with "breakfast."
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Sadly, true. There are confirmed reports of at least a half-dozen resort-designated properties claiming a muffin or bagel with coffee, tea or juice is compliant with "breakfast."
Yes but ... as the OP for the name and shame thread for breakfast violators, there didn't actually seem to be that many reports considering there must be at least a couple of thousand full service properties. Still ... its embarrassing the way some of the higher end resorts are handling this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Yes but ... as the OP for the name and shame thread for breakfast violators, there didn't actually seem to be that many reports considering there must be at least a couple of thousand full service properties. Still ... its embarrassing the way some of the higher end resorts are handling this.
Well, to be fair, many of the worst offenders have been exposed on here, but, as so many others have said before, Flyer Talk isn't necessarily representative of the broader hotel customer base. I'm sure there are lots of people who just take it and don't realize they're being gypped.

An acquittance is in Cancun right now at the Marriott resort. He has titanium status and told me the hotel refused to provide more than than the basic "continental" breakfast he choose over points because the manager said "as a resort they are allowed to exempt themselves from some requirements." He's the type who doesn't push back, ever. If he were a battered wife he would keep coming back for more abuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.