Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
I'm staying at a Sheraton now. At check in I was offered only the points for the Titanium welcome gift, no option of breakfast or amenity. Asked for welcome gift breakfast and was told I would get a continental breakfast in the club. Asked for restaurant breakfast and was told I'd need to pay $24 per person. After three attempts to get the welcome gift, I gave up. Attempted to claim the welcome guarantee compensation through the Bonvoy in-app chat and they passed the request onto the manager. Request was denied and told that they didn't have to offer breakfast since I had club access. Pointed them to the terms and was again denied. Am I missing something? What should my next step be.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Reid
I'm staying at a Sheraton now. At check in I was offered only the points for the Titanium welcome gift, no option of breakfast or amenity. Asked for welcome gift breakfast and was told I would get a continental breakfast in the club. Asked for restaurant breakfast and was told I'd need to pay $24 per person. After three attempts to get the welcome gift, I gave up. Attempted to claim the welcome guarantee compensation through the Bonvoy in-app chat and they passed the request onto the manager. Request was denied and told that they didn't have to offer breakfast since I had club access. Pointed them to the terms and was again denied. Am I missing something? What should my next step be.
Save the screenshots and call Marriott's titanium desk (through the number in your application) to escalate.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, your very next step should be to evaluate the actual lounge breakfast (as opposed to relying on their simple description of it). It might be that they misdescribed it, and it's actually a fuller breakfast reasonably to your liking. (I'm not saying that would be an excuse for not giving you restaurant breakfast, I'm just saying the lounge option might not be as bad as they made it sound.)

Also, get the names of the people you communicated with (including the manager, if you had direction communication with the manager). You may need that later.

If you can get their reason for your denial in writing, that'd be best, as then you'd have something tangible to pass on to Marriott customer service. The final outcome (perhaps weeks later) is that Marriott realized they have to retrain that particular Sheraton's staff, but that's easiest to initiate if they have tangible proof (beyond your verbal account) of the hotel misapplying the T&Cs.

Unless it's a long stay, I'm not sure though whether there's anything more you can do to "fix it" on this stay.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Should not have walked away

Your mistake was walking away. If you feel you are owed the GTD you need to claim it before walking away. If not you ha e accepted your point as the welcome amenity. Don't expect much from Marriwood.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't you let the forum know which Sheraton it is? Here in US or Aboard?

Why do people not post the violator's name?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Can't you let the forum know which Sheraton it is? Here in US or Aboard?

Why do people not post the violator's name?
There is no violation. He got his points and breakfast in the lounge. That meets the T&C.
Newman likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelboy

There is no violation. He got his points and breakfast in the lounge. That meets the T&C.
I thought the restaurant breakfast is among the Amenity options to choose from - and he was denied that option. He was only given ONE option which is the points. He did not want the points but he is not given any other options. Shouldn't this be a violation?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
IMHO, your very next step should be to evaluate the actual lounge breakfast (as opposed to relying on their simple description of it). It might be that they misdescribed it, and it's actually a fuller breakfast reasonably to your liking. (I'm not saying that would be an excuse for not giving you restaurant breakfast, I'm just saying the lounge option might not be as bad as they made it sound.)

Also, get the names of the people you communicated with (including the manager, if you had direction communication with the manager). You may need that later.

If you can get their reason for your denial in writing, that'd be best, as then you'd have something tangible to pass on to Marriott customer service. The final outcome (perhaps weeks later) is that Marriott realized they have to retrain that particular Sheraton's staff, but that's easiest to initiate if they have tangible proof (beyond your verbal account) of the hotel misapplying the T&Cs.

Unless it's a long stay, I'm not sure though whether there's anything more you can do to "fix it" on this stay.
Good points, but the titanium desk (formerly platinum premier) can address it during the stay. I had this happen when I was walked from a property in August or September and the property wouldn't follow the terms and conditions. The agent immediately documented it, put me on hold and attempted to reach the property. This was critical to getting the compensation, which came in the form of a check from the hotel itself a couple of weeks later.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

No, it doesn't. For Sheraton, it's a choice between breakfast in restaurant, 1,000 points per stay, or one amenity per stay.

Originally Posted by Happy
I thought the restaurant breakfast is among the Amenity options to choose from - and he was denied that option. He was only given ONE option which is the points. He did not want the points but he is not given any other options. Shouldn't this be a violation?
It is a violation.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:03 pm

He has to be offered his choice of Breakfast, an Amenity or Points.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No, it doesn't. For Sheraton, it's a choice between breakfast in restaurant, 1,000 points per stay, or one amenity per stay.

Interesting ... hadn't caught that there was a distinction between full service SPG properties with lounges and legacy Marriott properties.St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)
That being said, most of us wouldn't want the restaurant breakfast when a lounge is available -- particularly if they just offered the continental option which would be less than what is available in the lounge
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That being said, most of us wouldn't want the restaurant breakfast when a lounge is available -- particularly if they just offered the continental option which would be less than what is available in the lounge
But in this case the OP has a definite case to ask for and receive the $100 guarantee. And while I have only invoked that guarantee once, it was in a similar situation where the front desk agent argued with me and wouldn't offer the amenity options. So given the OP tried to get them to honor the rules (by telling/showing them) and they still ignored, I would definitely invoke it by calling and opening a case (while still at the hotel of course.)
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hhoope01
But in this case the OP has a definite case to ask for and receive the $100 guarantee. And while I have only invoked that guarantee once, it was in a similar situation where the front desk agent argued with me and wouldn't offer the amenity options. So given the OP tried to get them to honor the rules (by telling/showing them) and they still ignored, I would definitely invoke it by calling and opening a case (while still at the hotel of course.)
Agreed. I don't like playing gotcha but here the OP specifically asked and they refused.

And ... OP should share the name of the property
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Here is a great example of how the breakfast benefit should work, especially at resort-designated properties:

I stayed here Friday. Despite previous pre-arrival emails nothing this time around. I did, however, receive a fruit plate and four cans of Diet Pepsi in my room. No personalized note this time, however.

Unlike many Westin properties, this Westin has a 24/7/365 lounge that serves breakfast. At check-in, I was only offered points or a "local amenity." However, I'm entitled to choose between points, an amenity and breakfast. I chose breakfast. The front desk didn't know what to do because with the lounge nobody does this, they said. After a few minutes a manager emerged and they gave me their business card with "breakfast" written on it and their initials. I asked what it covered and was told anything. So, I had poached eggs with rocket and three glasses of Chandon California sparkling wine. There was no champagne-by-the-glass. It was 100% fully covered, including tip and tax.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30816367-post159.html
EdV likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:32 pm

Bonvoy “continental” breakfast card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.