Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by controller1
I must have had "breakfast" on my mind. This was supposed to have been posted in the Executive Lounge thread. Oh, well.......
LOL. Thanks for posting. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
controller1 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Originally Posted by OMCA

I stayed at a Courtyard in Mississauga, Canada a couple of weekends ago. When I gave the Bistro my voucher one evening, the attendant stated it was for $10 off my bill (there were two of us registered to the room). When I showed her that it says it's for $10 for member + 1 guest, she said she'd have to check with front desk. Front desk agent confirmed the attendant's understanding, so I only got $10 off my bill. When I approached the front desk myself, and asked, why would you say it's $10 for the member + 1 guest if you're only going to over $10 off the bill?! She replied that this is what they have been told...it's $10 off the food bill, regardless of number of people registered to the room.

I took photos of the voucher and photos of my invoice. When I wrote to Marriott on-line to complain, they forwarded my e-mail and said the hotel's accounting office would deal with it. Over a week passed and I did not hear back. A few days ago I replied to Marriott's customer service e-mail, indicating that I would appreciate a reply as I had yet to get one from the hotel and all I've received is radio silence.

It's really not the $10 I'm chasing, it's the non-conformance with the terms and conditions of the program. The principle. What would you do to escalate this? I was an SPG Plat until now, and I would have turned to the Lurker's then to help get this resolved.

The property in question is the CY at 7015 Century Avenue in Mississauga, ON, Canada.
Went ahead and took everyone's advice and e-mailed the office of the CEO. Page-long e-mail with every step and failure along the way. Included copies of the voucher, my receipt from the Bistro and equally important, the e-mail chain to "Customer Care" where they neatly assigned a case number but didn't do anything with said case.

Within 12 hours I got a call from Utah. I received about 10-12 "I'm sorry..." (I guess the evidence was compelling) and was promised that the property would get back to me to rectify this. HQ was particularly surprised given the fact that the voucher says right on it "member + 1 guest". Less than a day went by and I received an e-mail from the property's Assistant GM, apologizing, stating a credit for the $10 will be issued, 2,000 points as "compensation" for the inconvenience and a commitment that her front desk and Bistro staff will be retrained on the Platinum benefits. The $10 and points are negligible, but the if they deliver on the training I'm happy.

It took a lot of time to go through all that but I'm sure many of you have done similar things to help shape loyalty programs into what we value in them so I'm content to have done my part.

Margarita Girl, I wasn't about to start slicing hairs on the currency issue. I honestly wasn't aware if it's supposed to be $10 US or CDN. I can't see it here: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
2,000 points, or about ~$16 these days (and declining quickly)...SMH. Marriott, always so generous.
OMCA likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
Courtyard PPE Breakfast?

I just booked the Courtyard Lebanon/Hanover NH using points. I called the hotel and asked about a breakfast benefit for PPE. They said there is nothing but an arrival gift. Breakfast is only included if part of a package when booked.

Is this correct? I thought Courtyard’s were now part of the tier benefits offered PPE’s?

Thanks for any info anyone has!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
I just booked the Courtyard Lebanon/Hanover NH using points. I called the hotel and asked about a breakfast benefit for PPE. They said there is nothing but an arrival gift. Breakfast is only included if part of a package when booked.

Is this correct? I thought Courtyard’s were now part of the tier benefits offered PPE’s?

$10pppn seems to be the terms or lounge access if there is one.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer

Take a look at the Wiki at the top of the following thread and the ongoing discussion. (Also, it's likely this new thread will be moved into it.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...explained.html

The benefits for Platinum Elite (and higher) at Courtyard, AC Hotels, and MOXY improved on August 18, 2018, but not to extent of providing full breakfast. (The exception is that there are Courtyards in Asia that provide a lounge/breakfast benefit similar to Marriott-legacy full-service brands).

As a Platinum Welcome Gift, you and choose daily $10 USD (or equivalent) F&B credits for member + 1 guest in the same room. That's insufficient for a full breakfast, but you can apply the credits toward breakfast.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The Delta by Marriott Baltimore Inner Harbor has a pantry, but doesn't have breakfast items in there. Instead it provides what it calls a "light continental breakfast" consisting of muffins, yogurt or bagels plus coffee and juice in the restaurant. Property refused to provide more than this and also refused to give the 750 points. Manager says Marriott told them this is the minimum they have to do and the management and ownership have decided not to provide a "more lavish" (his words) breakfast.

If you read the terms, you should get a choice between the "light continental breakfast" in the restaurant or 750 points since they are not providing a breakfast in the pantry. If they provided the "light continental breakfast" in the pantry they would be in compliance.

Another reason to avoid the Delta brand.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 10, 2019 at 8:07 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Delta by Marriott Baltimore Inner Harbor has a pantry, but doesn't have breakfast items in there. Instead it provides what it calls a "light continental breakfast" consisting of muffins, yogurt or bagels plus coffee and juice in the restaurant. Property refused to provide more than this and also refused to give the 750 points. Manager says Marriott told them this is the minimum they have to do and the management and ownership have decided not to provide a "more lavish" (his words) breakfast.

If you read the terms, you should get a choice between the "light continental breakfast" in the restaurant or 750 points since they are not providing a breakfast in the pantry. If they provided the "light continental breakfast" in the pantry they would be in compliance.

Another reason to avoid the Delta brand.
The pantry is an "approved alternative" in the T&Cs. Delta hotels with a pantry in lieu of a lounge do not need to provide breakfast in the restaurant, so that hotel is 100% in compliance with the T&Cs even if you don't like it. The Delta Orlando was very much the same and has made me swear off the whole brand entirely.

Relevant portions from the T&Cs
At Delta Hotels properties without a Signature Club Lounge, as the approved alternative the Member will receive access to the Elite Pantry.
If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The pantry is an "approved alternative" in the T&Cs. Delta hotels with a pantry in lieu of a lounge do not need to provide breakfast in the restaurant, so that hotel is 100% in compliance with the T&Cs even if you don't like it. The Delta Orlando was very much the same and has made me swear off the whole brand entirely.

Relevant portions from the T&Cs
Correct, but they are not providing breakfast in the pantry. They are providing a "light continental breakfast" that isn't even on the menu in the restaurant. So, there should be a choice. Otherwise, stock the pantry with the "approved alternative."
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Correct, but they are not providing breakfast in the pantry. They are providing a "light continental breakfast" that isn't even on the menu in the restaurant. So, there should be a choice. Otherwise, stock the pantry with the "approved alternative."
The pantry is the approved alternative to a lounge. I have no idea what you mean by this bolded part. The pantry offering doesn't have to match what is served in the restaurant. If they're giving you anything at all from the restaurant they're actually going above what the T&Cs state. Whether or not you felt the contents were sufficient is another matter since Marriott mandates nothing here; I certainly didn't think they were in Orlando. I'm not even saying I think this policy is right or just but the property is in compliance with the T&Cs as they are written.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The pantry is the approved alternative to a lounge. ... The pantry offering doesn't have to match what is served in the restaurant.
Delta properties are not exempt from the breakfast benefit.

The terms and conditions are not written to allow a Delta with a pantry to not provide breakfast food in the pantry. A granola bar, cookies and potato chips -- the food stocked in the pantry -- are not breakfast, whether the breakfast is in the restaurant or it's in the "approved alternative" pantry.

By providing a "light continental breakfast" in the restaurant instead of providing something in the "approved alternative" pantry the property is giving up its exemption and has to provide a choice between 750 points and the "breakfast in restaurant."

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:46 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:49 am

Delta properties are not exempt from the breakfast benefit.

The terms and conditions are not written to allow a Delta with a pantry to not provide breakfast food in the pantry. A granola bar, cookies and potato chips -- the food stocked in the pantry -- are not breakfast, whether the breakfast is in the restaurant or it's in the "approved alternative" pantry.

By providing a "light continental breakfast" in the restaurant instead of providing something in the "approved alternative" pantry the property is giving up its exemption and has to provide a choice between 750 points and the "breakfast in restaurant."
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. If you're so certain, have the lurkers open an investigation with the compliance team or email the executive office.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did you ask for the $100 compensation?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The Delta by Marriott Baltimore Inner Harbor has a pantry, but doesn't have breakfast items in there. Instead it provides what it calls a "light continental breakfast" consisting of muffins, yogurt or bagels plus coffee and juice in the restaurant. ...
Absolutely unacceptable for a Marriott Bonvoy full-service hotel.

If a Delta Hotel has neither a Signature Lounge nor an Elite Pantry providing breakfast, then "the property will offer a daily breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per day."

Although the loyalty program terms & conditions do not define "breakfast in the restaurant," a reasonable person would interpret that to mean the type of breakfast that the hotel restaurant serves to other guests. After all, Delta Hotels is one of Marriott's full-service brands. What's acceptable at a TraveLodge budget hotel is not acceptable at Delta Hotels property.

Shame on the Delta by Marriott Baltimore Inner Harbor. Shame on the brand managers for Delta Hotels. Shame on Marriott Bonvoy management.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you ask for the $100 compensation?
Property insisted they were compliant. I did get some points for my issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.