Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Dixon, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dixon, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hphreak
I'm at the Dixon right now.
What's the breakfast benefit? Did they recognize your elite status or give you an upgrade?

Any pictures?

Service mostly good but a little inconsistent, but granted it's a new hotel. Most are very warm and helpful so far, but waiting to hear back from a minor issue I had.
I wouldn't be surprised if they use temp agencies or what the British call zero-hours workers. I've come across a couple of others, including the Marriott London County Hall, that either outsources some services (housekeeping) or uses temp workers for thinks like waiters and waitresses.

After checking in, my bedside lamps had no lampshades, only bare bulbs (and no I confirmed this is not by design). But the real issue is that one of the electricity outlets was missing a face plate, so it's showing bare screws and god knows what that's normally hidden and protected behind a cover, posing as a health and safety hazard. I had a young child guest who may play with these and this is a big danger to them (the height of this socket is right above the bedside table, absolutely reachable). (As an aside, should there be service recovery expectable here? Just wanted an apology hopefully but the manager only said "it's been fixed" but no apologies or acknowledgement that this can be a dangerous issue, which I find a bit rude).
Most duty managers would offer a complimentary drink or a couple thousand points.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I'm at the Dixon right now. Ambiance is eclectic, but the entrance has a grand chandelier with the sweeping staircases that's normal to courthouses. You will definitely feel that it is a converted courthouse. The courtroom bar has a good feel and ambiance, but rooms a little on the small side. Decor is modernist and a bit of Parisian artsy. Most of the marble in the rooms are fake. Most electricity outlets also with USB ports for charging, which is very useful. Not much of a view.

Service mostly good but a little inconsistent, but granted it's a new hotel. Most are very warm and helpful so far, but waiting to hear back from a minor issue I had. After checking in, my bedside lamps had no lampshades, only bare bulbs (and no I confirmed this is not by design). But the real issue is that one of the electricity outlets was missing a face plate, so it's showing bare screws and god knows what that's normally hidden and protected behind a cover, posing as a health and safety hazard. I had a young child guest who may play with these and this is a big danger to them (the height of this socket is right above the bedside table, absolutely reachable). (As an aside, should there be service recovery expectable here? Just wanted an apology hopefully but the manager only said "it's been fixed" but no apologies or acknowledgement that this can be a dangerous issue, which I find a bit rude).

Let me know if you have questions.

How would you rate the hotel, keeper or pass especially for elites when staying in london? I have a back up reservation at county hall, same price. I’ll just miss out on the 5000 bonus points per night which would be great but I put more stock in a nice hotel and comfortable room than bonus points.

Two specific questions
1 are rooms st remains small, those are broom closets and I refuse to stay in that hotel
2 Do do you also know what they do for platinum breakfast?

shame you had problems but this is also their opening weekend so not entirely surprised they missed some stuff, hopefully they iron kinks out quickly. I would have been equally concerned about the plug socket with a little one in the room and yeah they would be the first to put their finger in the hole. An apology and a gesture of a comped drink or something would have gone a long way to win hearts and minds. I do expect the hotel staff though are stressed out beyond all measure

Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Nuhusky, those are two very different locations in London, quite a while away from each other. I’d recommend picking location first...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:55 pm

Unconcerned about location. This is for an upcoming biz trip and both locations equally convientant for me. First and foremost I care about a quality hotel with decent platinum benefits and breakfast.

I frequent Marriott grosvnor sq most times when in london but on this trip will benefit from river proximity. I have one event at county hall and another event to attend near the tower. Either case I use Uber to move about town so it really boils down to hotel
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Unconcerned about location. This is for an upcoming biz trip and both locations equally convientant for me. First and foremost I care about a quality hotel with decent platinum benefits and breakfast.

I frequent Marriott grosvnor sq most times when in london but on this trip will benefit from river proximity. I have one event at county hall and another event to attend near the tower. Either case I use Uber to move about town so it really boils down to hotel
The Marriott London County Hall does not have a good breakfast. My last two trips they've stopped serving breakfast in the M Club lounge and instead have you eat the buffet in the restaurant, which is quite limited even compared to other Marriott properties in London. Also, unless things have changed, they limit you to three, one-piece canapes at night in the M Club. If you want any additional food you have to pay.

Additionally, again unless things have changed, they have also outsourced housekeeping and you really notice the inconsistencies.

I would avoid.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:35 am

Thanks, sounds like county hall has gone downhill. Heres to hoping Dixon looks after elites.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:56 am

Looks like the Dixon does not have a lounge and offers elites a continental breakfast for 2 in the restaurant. Unsure what’s entailed in that but that is disappointing
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Alright some updates.

Firstly, to answer the two specific questions:

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
How would you rate the hotel, keeper or pass especially for elites when staying in london? I have a back up reservation at county hall, same price. I’ll just miss out on the 5000 bonus points per night which would be great but I put more stock in a nice hotel and comfortable room than bonus points.

Two specific questions
1 are rooms st remains small, those are broom closets and I refuse to stay in that hotel
2 Do do you also know what they do for platinum breakfast?
1. Are the rooms small? Yes. Normal deluxe rooms are absolutely nothing to write home about, contains a queen/double bed with about 1-2 feet of room on either side, and then an armchair on one of the sides. It was underwhelming so didn’t even have a photo with me, but I can upload on request, it’s on my big camera. The next room category (don't even know the name of it) is bigger, maybe 5 feet of extra room and TWO armchairs with larger bathrooms. Bathrooms have no tubs for the two rooms, but are comfortably/cosy sized. Sliding door to open/close. No good views to speak of. For one person, it’s cosy. For two? Maybe a bit TOO cosy. After seeing the lobby, the rooms are underwhelming, but not uncomfortable. County Hall has larger rooms than Dixon (when comparing lowest category rooms). Maybe similar to Grosvenor square size. No desks available in room, just an end table.

2. Plat breakfast and recognition is there. Plat breakfast includes continental spread, see below photos. Even without plat, staff were very friendly. I’m there for four nights, so familiar staff addressed me by name. No lounges. I'm not a plat so no upgrade for me.

One thing - most staff here are recently trained. I would say most I have come across are VERY helpful and friendly, and has a boutique feel to the service. Proactive offering of service, asking if they could “help with anything at all”, and glass of water offered upon checkin since there was a long wait. Some even had complimentary drinks at the bar, including myself.

Regarding my issues - my original room’s bathroom ceiling was leaking water from upstairs. I had a chat with two managers about it, and they originally offered me a same category room, but I politely said that’s not acceptable because what’s the point of staying in the same hotel when I had to spend an hour to pack and unpack and move rooms again? And not to mention I don’t know what was dripping onto me while I showered? So, that’s as fixed albeit with some delays with upgrade to next category (the room the offered me was occupied! Thank god I didn’t walk in to any Pre NYE celebrations :P) Drinks at the bar was also taken care of. No points proactively offered, but I’m not one to push. All in all I spent 2 hours dealing with all the above (including previous issues). I dare say these issues will be ironed out after opening so I think subsequent visits will be better. Note only one elevator is operating at the moment, and that elevator’s floor display isn’t working properly yet.

I had dinner at the same restaurant, and the food was good, but service was subpar. 5 courses took over 2 hours after seating at 7:45, and had one waitstaff with rude service, and the F&B manager tried to make excuses for him, saying it was “cultural differences” and I was misunderstanding him. Right, slight jab of being racist? Anyways. All other waitstaff was helpful and friendly, so there’s that.

English breakfast not part of the continental breakfast, included on New Years Day

Continental buffet

Continental buffet

Last edited by hphreak; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:56 am Reason: Add details
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:54 am

Alright some updates.

Firstly, to answer the two specific questions: 1. Are the rooms small? Yes. Normal deluxe rooms are absolutely nothing to write home about, contains a queen/double bed with about 1-2 feet of room on either side, and then an armchair on one of the sides. It was underwhelming so didn’t even have a photo with me, but I can upload on request, it’s on my big camera. The next room category (dont even know the name of it) are bigger, maybe 5 feet of extra room and TWO armchairs with larger bathrooms. Bathrooms have no tubs for the two rooms, but are comfortably sized. Sliding door to open/close. No good views to speak of. For one person, it’s cosy. For two? Maybe a bit TOO cosy. After seeing the lobby, the rooms are underwhelming, but not uncomfortable.

2. Plat breakfast and recognition is there. Plat breakfast includes continental spread, see below photos. Even without plat, staff were very friendly. I’m there for four nights, so familiar staff addressed me by name. No lounges.

One thing - most staff here are recently trained. I would say most I have come across are VERY helpful and friendly, and has a boutique feel to the service. Proactive offering of service, asking if they could “help with anything at all”, and glass of water offered upon checkin since there was a long wait. Some even had complimentary drinks at the bar, including myself.

Regarding my issues - my original room’s bathroom ceiling was leaking water from upstairs. I had a chat with two managers about it, and they originally offered me a same category room, but I politely said that’s not acceptable because what’s the point of staying in the same hotel when I had to spend an hour to pack and unpack and move rooms again? And not to mention I don’t know what was dripping onto me while I showered? So, that’s as fixed albeit with some delays with upgrade to next category (the room the offered me was occupied! Thank god I didn’t walk in to any Pre NYE celebrations :P) Drinks at the bar was also taken care of. No points proactively offered, but I’m not one to push. All in all I spent 2 hours dealing with all the above (including previous issues). I dare say these issues will be ironed out after opening so I think subsequent visits will be better. Note only one elevator is operating at the moment, and that elevator’s floor display isn’t working properly yet.

I had dinner at the same restaurant, and the food was good, but service was subpar. 5 courses took over 2 hours after seating at 7:45, and had one waitstaff with rude service, and the F&B manager tried to make excuses for him, saying it was “cultural differences” and I was misunderstanding him. Right, slight jab of being racist? Anyways. All other waitstaff was helpful and friendly, so there’s that.

English breakfast not part of the continental breakfast, included on New Years Day

Continental buffet

Continental buffet

thanks for this write up. Breakfast looks more than adequate. I will provide my report too from my Jan stay
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:42 am
Suspended

What was the issue at dinner? I'm always surprised when there is a noticeable difference in service between dinner and breakfast. Normally, it's the reverse of your experience; breakfast service is quite bad, if nonexistent. It's one of the reasons why a friend of mine, who has been the general manager of several independent hotels, says his properties never offer breakfast in the dinner restaurant.

Continental buffet

Continental buffet

The continental buffet would be fine for an executive lounge, but it's pretty basic for a restaurant buffet when they're presumably charging at least 15–20 British pounds for it. No fresh berries and no oatmeal, either. It's very unusual to see a "continental breakfast" at a legacy Marriott brand without oatmeal since Mr. Marriott purportedly eats oatmeal every morning.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 1, 2019 at 5:48 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What was the issue at dinner? I'm always surprised when there is a noticeable difference in service between dinner and breakfast. Normally, it's the reverse of your experience; breakfast service is quite bad, if nonexistent. It's one of the reasons why a friend of mine, who has been the general manager of several independent hotels, says his properties never offer breakfast in the dinner restaurant.

The continental buffet would be fine for an executive lounge, but it's pretty basic for a restaurant buffet when they're presumably charging at least 15–20 British pounds for it. No fresh berries and no oatmeal, either. It's very unusual to see a "continental breakfast" at a legacy Marriott brand without oatmeal since Mr. Marriott purportedly eats oatmeal every morning.
We had wine with our meal, and our waiter thought we had finished ours, when we in fact did not. I asked him to check with the manager, upon which he did and returned to pour the wine. This in itself was not the issue, but the staff started to stare me down while condescendingly and provocatively repeating "I'm sorry, SIR" (emphasis his). I asked for his manager to speak to regarding the attitude, and the manager not only defended the waiter, but said it was due to cultural differences that we misunderstood his apology, and when we asked if it was because we were asian (ethnic Chinese, but we were educated in US/Canada/UK education systems most of our lives) and thus mistook the Italian waiter's supposed over-friendliness as provocative, to which the manager replied yes. I was speechless, but did not get into further arguments, but plan on writing to Marriott regarding this. To me, this seems to borderline be discrimination and amounts to racists comments. What our colour is have nothing to do with our understanding of the provocative and condescending tone. To the waiter's credit, he came by the next morning's breakfast to ensure I had everything I need, while the F&B manager did not do anything at all.

All other staff at breakfast were friendly and went the extra mile and deserves commendations.

And indeed agreed the breakfast spread is dismal even by European standards. I think porridge is available as well.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:48 pm
Suspended

We had wine with our meal, and our waiter thought we had finished ours, when we in fact did not. I asked him to check with the manager, upon which he did and returned to pour the wine. This in itself was not the issue, but the staff started to stare me down while condescendingly and provocatively repeating "I'm sorry, SIR" (emphasis his). I asked for his manager to speak to regarding the attitude, and the manager not only defended the waiter, but said it was due to cultural differences that we misunderstood his apology, and when we asked if it was because we were asian (ethnic Chinese, but we were educated in US/Canada/UK education systems most of our lives) and thus mistook the Italian waiter's supposed over-friendliness as provocative, to which the manager replied yes. I was speechless, but did not get into further arguments, but plan on writing to Marriott regarding this. To me, this seems to borderline be discrimination and amounts to racists comments. What our colour is have nothing to do with our understanding of the provocative and condescending tone.
You might try the actual owner and operator, as Marriott doesn't manage this hotel. https://www.dominvsgroup.com/hospitality-portfolio

To the waiter's credit, he came by the next morning's breakfast to ensure I had everything I need, while the F&B manager did not do anything at all.
After he spit in your food. I tend not to go back to restaurants after I've complained.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Staying here this week for some variety from Marriott West India Quay/Canary Wharf, and to take advantage of the 5000 points per night bonus.

Experience is mostly consistent with above - staff friendly but obviously inexperienced; room is small (even for london); breakfast is limited in range but good quality. The design looks good, but some obvious impracticalities - e.g. odd sliding door shared between wardrobe and bathroom that slams against the safe door every time you move it; difficult to find a space to use the ironing board. Room service menu is very limited, with only 3 real main course options that I could see (though again quality was good).

More of a hotel for personal travel than business really, but would find the entry level rooms too small to share.

On plat benefits - recognised at checkin and explanation of point option and breakfast instead of lounge, etc, though seem very reluctant on upgrades, with an automatic “already checked the system” answer which came across like they had been instructed to say. Full availability of other room types showing on app.

Have reservations for the next 3 weeks, not decided whether to keep them or not yet - though that is more on whether the extra journey time to walk to tube stations and go 2/3 stops is worth it.

Last edited by ao40; Jan 15, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ao40
The design looks good, but some obvious impracticalities - e.g. odd sliding door shared between wardrobe and bathroom that slams against the safe door every time you move it; difficult to find a space to use the ironing board.
I swear that some of the people who design hotels have never actually stayed in a hotel.

On plat benefits - recognised at checkin and explanation of point option and breakfast instead of lounge, etc, though seem very reluctant on upgrades, with an automatic “already checked the system” answer which came across like they had been instructed to say. Full availability of other room types showing on app.

Have reservations for the next 3 weeks, not decided whether to keep them or not yet - though that is more on whether the extra journey time to walk to tube stations and go 2/3 stops is worth it.
Did you kindly remind them better rooms available? If you have three weeks' worth of reservations at this property they should be giving you more than an upgrade. Maybe a bottle of wine or a complimentary daily drink.

Does the hotel offer turndown service, a bellman and newspaper delivery?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Did you kindly remind them better rooms available? If you have three weeks' worth of reservations at this property they should be giving you more than an upgrade. Maybe a bottle of wine or a complimentary daily drink.

Does the hotel offer turndown service, a bellman and newspaper delivery?
I made passing reference to it with a smile, but the clerk already seemed rather nervous and fumbling about so did not question further - it seemed like it was either a standard excuse she had been told to say, or she just did not know how the system worked, neither option was worth the hassle.

Have not seen any of these, but are not things I would use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.