Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Dixon, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening Nov '18. No category yet. Has 30 suites/163 rooms.

Hotel website:

The Dixon, Autograph Collection: London Unique Hotels

"The Dixon sits at the heart of London SE1. Minutes south of Tower Bridge, this is a vibrant neighbourhood, filled with the sights and sounds of art, theatre and music, where London’s historic landmarks vie for attention with its shiniest new sights.

Occupying an awe-inspiring building that dates from 1906, when it served as the Tower Bridge Magistrates Court, The Dixon is a new hotel that captures all the culture, creativity and variety of London SE1. Named after John Dixon Butler, the Grade II-listed building's original Edwardian architect, The Dixon is steeped in history but inspired by the contemporary character and culture of its vibrant neighbourhood. Its 193 rooms and suites, lounges and restaurant enjoy an edgy, eclectic design aesthetic and a boutique vibe. Tactile materials, surprising bursts of colour and finely-crafted details effortlessly complement the authentic original features. This place exudes style and charisma, from top to toe – with staff who'll treat you as the individual you are. The welcome is warm, the cocktails cool and the food flavoursome. Thanks to its landmark location in one of the world's most cultural postcodes, London's greatest cultural experiences – from the Tower of London to Tate Modern are just a heartbeat away."
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Lobby.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Google Earth 3D Projection (current):

Google Street View (current):

Guess it will be time to update the London properties again!

David
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
More views - backside of property:

portrait view of backside - includes rail lines to the south (top of frame):

view to southwest - Tower Bridge is in the lower right and property is boxed in yellow:

view to southeast - Tower Bridge now to lower left and property again boxed in yellow:

map view - includes property in red trapezoid, closest 3 tube stops (London Bridge, Tower Hill and Bermondsey), closest Hilton competitor and proximity to Tower Bridge and Tower of London:

David
unclepants and HawaiiO like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Since the hotel is being billed as a 4-star hotel I would imagine this will be a category 8 property, though category 7 would be fantastic.

Pictures and renderings: The Dixon, London - McAleer & Rushe.

This is the hotel's owner: https://www.dominvsgroup.com/hospitality-portfolio. Most of their other properties are IHG, namely Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express. That's a little discouraging, if only because that means they aren't necessarily used to providing a lot of elite benefits.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
From The Dixon, London - McAleer & Rushe (same link as from hockeyinsider):

Design and build hotel conversion, situated between Tooley Steet & Queen Elizabeth Street within the Tower Bridge Conservation Area. This project includes the conversion of the Grade II listed 1906 John Dixon Butler police station & magistrates court with the addition of a newbuild extension to the rear.

The new development will consist of a 193 bedroom 4-star plus standard hotel, restaurant and conference facilities.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:34 am

Anyone know when this place will open? Site says autumn 2018.. Ha
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by atojbk
Anyone know when this place will open? Site says autumn 2018.. Ha
Marriott.com is currently taking reservations for check-ins beginning December 27, 2018.

Sometimes, new hotels actually open sooner than what Marriott.com shows — or they delay their opening, despite having taken reservations.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
I have booked Dec 29-Jan 2.

I am also quite new to the whole SPG programme and benefits. Any tips from members?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Anyone have upcoming stays here? To encourage stays during their opening period, for those interested they have a special rate offering 5000 bonus points per night
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Anyone have upcoming stays here? To encourage stays during their opening period, for those interested they have a special rate offering 5000 bonus points per night
Per night or per stay? If per night, that's a great bonus, assuming the cash room rates are reasonable.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:18 am

Offer valid until feb

Rate Details

Member Exclusive Offer, 5000 Bonus Points per night

Additional Information

• Rate includes 5000 bonus points per night.
  • Valid for stays until 10th February, 2019.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:19 am

Rate during these dates is around 230 pounds a night which is pretty good for London
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Rate during these dates is around 230 pounds a night which is pretty good for London
The Marriott London Maida Vale often has cash rates of under 150 pounds per night that come with 10,000 bonus points per stay.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
I'm at the Dixon right now. Ambiance is eclectic, but the entrance has a grand chandelier with the sweeping staircases that's normal to courthouses. You will definitely feel that it is a converted courthouse. The courtroom bar has a good feel and ambiance, but rooms a little on the small side. Decor is modernist and a bit of Parisian artsy. Most of the marble in the rooms are fake. Most electricity outlets also with USB ports for charging, which is very useful. Not much of a view.

Service mostly good but a little inconsistent, but granted it's a new hotel. Most are very warm and helpful so far, but waiting to hear back from a minor issue I had. After checking in, my bedside lamps had no lampshades, only bare bulbs (and no I confirmed this is not by design). But the real issue is that one of the electricity outlets was missing a face plate, so it's showing bare screws and god knows what that's normally hidden and protected behind a cover, posing as a health and safety hazard. I had a young child guest who may play with these and this is a big danger to them (the height of this socket is right above the bedside table, absolutely reachable). (As an aside, should there be service recovery expectable here? Just wanted an apology hopefully but the manager only said "it's been fixed" but no apologies or acknowledgement that this can be a dangerous issue, which I find a bit rude).

Let me know if you have questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.