Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
At a certain point, what's the difference between a "full service" Marriott with limited services and Airbnb?
As someone who stays frequently at both, I'll give you my perspective of the additional services Marriott offers, that I take advantage of -- of course, this differs by the Marriott brand, so you have to choose your brand appropriately.

- Security far beyond the normal AirBnb
- Restaurant, bar, or several of each in the hotel (regardless of room service)
- Free internet (although that's many AirBnb as well)
- Breakfast (I have actually had that unexpectedly included at my AirBnb in Playa del Carmen)
- A mostly consistent experience in the room -- bed, bathroom, etc. This is important to me when I travel for business.
- Concierge lounges
- A concierge
- Parking
- Someone to answer my questions or help me 24 hours a day. I'm fortunately I've never lost my key at an AirBnb!

I could go on. But I understand the point you're trying to make, that Marriott is losing a competitive advantage by eliminating services. That may be true in some cases, but I don't believe it's true when they change or eliminate room service. It's the way the whole industry is going. Honestly, if you want someone to deliver a higher quality meal to your room, for half the price of room service, why not use UberEats or a similar service? Because the only value of room service vs. going to the hotel restaurant is the delivery right?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by GoPhils
To each their own of course but I don’t really get the outrage over the fact that the food comes in a box. As long as the food is better or less of a ripoff. But I don’t think either of those are true.
Try ordering French Onion Soup via the Fresh Bits menu.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
And yet another "Marriott sucks; SPG had all the best hotels in the universe" overreaction. *sigh*

Am I the only one hoping all the spoiled, self-entitled, wool-pulled-over-their-eyes SPG blind loyalists leave Marriott as soon as possible and take their crappy attitudes to some other hotel chain where it will become their problem?
Marriott has also removed all lawns from their properties so "these kids" will stay off of them. :-)
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I wasn't trying to say all the millions of former SPG members are like that, I was trying to say that I hope the ones who ARE like that leave for perceived greener pastures. Thanks for helping me clarify that!
Sometimes I think we need a "I hate Marriott because .... " subforum

As for greener pastures, grab and go is an industry trend, There's always better food at the restaurant, the hotel loses money on the $30 hamburger, and there are zillions of choices with UberEats, Amazon Eats, Grubhub, etc. So ... you can go to Hilton or Hyatt but it will follow. So, the hotel tries to come up with something that works ... even though it doesn't work for me, as a legacy MR member. But, I'm not going to stay at Starriott properties because I have a poor experience at a particular legacy SPG property ... which I have.

As for the OP's situation, the options in the Baltimore Inner Harbor area are a Ren, a Marriott, and a Sheraton. There must be a convention because the Ren and the Marriott are sold out and OP was paying $400 a night. There's also a reason the Ren and the Marriott were sold out while the legacy SPG property had rooms available for $190 ... which probably doesn't fit the self perception of some legacy SPG folks here.
DJ_Iceman, phltraveler and JBord like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'd love a "I hate MaRiot" thread! Go for it, guys!
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I lived in Baltimore for a few years. Wasn't a fan but they did have some good food. The Marriott Waterfront is literally smack in the middle of tons of different places to eat or get something to eat, ordering room service seems insane.
C17PSGR and JBord like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

And this is why there is a clash of expectations - Marriotts used to excel at cheap local partial service hotels often with lounges and lots of points towards free hotels, whereas Starwood had a reputation for full service hotels with things like room service and concierge as well as great recognition for its elites. In the merger of the programmes and the mid tier consumers are finding it is difficult for both of these things to be true.

Beyond its brands Starwood had its own distinct brand persona world’s away from the very US corporate very Utah persona of Marriott. This is ultimately where all the “our people are better than your people” stuff comes from.

If I’m paying $300 or so for a hotel for either a business stay or a weekend break I expect the option of room service and would be put out by it arriving with plastic cutlery. I find plastic cups in a room offensive enough, and that’s a direction lower end US Starwoods have already gone down.
Interestingly enough, most of my nights in the run to 800 were in full service hotels ( both Marriott and Starwood as I was plat in both) in major market areas. (I had more stays in NYC hotels than all other cities combined.)

There were so many places to choose for great dinners that I rarely had room service. But I agree, a full service hotel should have more than just boxed dinners.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by copyright1997
There were so many places to choose for great dinners that I rarely had room service. But I agree, a full service hotel should have more than just boxed dinners.
Agreed. Even if the food sucks, at least plate it! That's still standard practice at my office for business meetings w/execs involved. Even Subway sandwiches are put on plates before being brought into the conference rooms.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by copyright1997

But I agree, a full service hotel should have more than just boxed dinners.
I agree with this too. They should have a restaurant or some sort, but delivery to your room can be accomplished in many other/better ways than room service these days. Even the one time I had dinner at a Courtyard Bistro, it was an Asian salad that came in a real bowl. I'd expect a full service hotel to offer more though.

I don't eat dinner in my bedroom at home, I don't want to do it at a hotel either. If I don't want to leave the building, I want a restaurant available.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:03 pm

Marriott Marquis Chicago has the boxed meals. Given the price I was surprised when a guy showed up at the door with a bag.

No other real meal options within an easy walk late night so it's better than nothing but still..................
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've very rarely ordered room service. Actually, in my recollection, I've done it twice in the last decade. One time involved extreme exhaustion from travel, while the other time involved getting to my hotel at about 0100 after a marathon of flights due to IRROPS which had left me unable to get food after early afternoon. Notably, both incidents were at the same hotel (it wasn't a Marriott).

However, the underlying point that sits here is that when you need room service, you need room service.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdix
Marriott Marquis Chicago has the boxed meals. Given the price I was surprised when a guy showed up at the door with a bag.

No other real meal options within an easy walk late night so it's better than nothing but still..................
Another example of fresh bites showing up at a property operating in a city with high labor costs, thanks in part to trade unions.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
And who was the idiot in senior management who decided to do away with room service and hotel restaurants, and go with take away food in a bag that you have to leave your room and pick-up at a counter, because, and I quote a Marriott hotel rep, "The Millennials like eating food from Grub Hub"
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Zobieee
And who was the idiot in senior management who decided to do away with room service and hotel restaurants, and go with take away food in a bag that you have to leave your room and pick-up at a counter, because, and I quote a Marriott hotel rep, "The Millennials like eating food from Grub Hub"
In Marriott's defense, I have only seen the "fresh bites" concept -- the replacement for traditional room service -- being used at properties in markets with high labor costs.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Zobieee
I refuse to stay at a property that offers Fresh Bites, but I thought they delivered in addition to you picking up. Delivery is still in the stupid bag & not true room service service.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.