Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Midwestgirl22
Does anyone know how far of a cab or grab ride this place is from any of the main action? (bars/restaurants)
Just a heads up that the reason many of us are so focused on BTS is we don't like taking cabs in Bangkok. The traffic can be really awful and the experience itself can be difficult due to drivers not speaking English and/or attempting to charge off-meter. It's usually okay from the hotel, getting back is the challenge.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bluestrudels

If you are a fan of night markets/street food/wholesale shopping malls like us, try researching the Novotel at the Platinum Mall. ... It's also beside the canal where you can take a 100 baht boat ride to the main river that takes you to Chao Phraya River.
Not to be too pedantic but it's either 200 THB on a private concession boat which runs from Banglampoo (close to the river pier Phra Athit) OR 14 baht on the regular Saen Saep ferry which ends at Saphan Pan Fa (bridge).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just a heads up that the reason many of us are so focused on BTS is we don't like taking cabs in Bangkok. The traffic can be really awful and the experience itself can be difficult due to drivers not speaking English and/or attempting to charge off-meter. It's usually okay from the hotel, getting back is the challenge.
Thank you. Does the GRAB (uber) app work well?

We would be here one night. Taxi/Grab to property, relax at pool, rooftop bar, lounge, then maybe taxi/GRAB to dinner and a bar then back, but after two days of international travel I'm guessing we'll be exhausted and stay in or lay low.This would be for a long overnight layover. We are returning to Bangkok the following week for 2-3 days of exploring.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
This property is a great off-location hotel with the infinity pool and all the slightly nicer perks you don't really get with the other hotels. Most importantly the property is still new, so the staff are very willing to go an extra mile to accommodate to guests, especially elite folks.

Depends on what you value and what you want to do? BKK is a big city, there are many districts offering a different atmosphere. Most people stay at the chitlom/saladaeng strip along the BTS because it's where all the mega malls are concentrated at, and all the 5 stars chain hotels all set up shop there, and you literally do not need to cross the streets on the ground, they have skywalks that links you from malls to malls, which is extra helpful in the sweltering midday heat.

If you are a fan of night markets/street food/wholesale shopping malls like us, try researching the Novotel at the Platinum Mall. It's a little far from the BTS (say 10 min walk), but you are in the middle of literally everything. They have night markets that go from 6-7pm to 1am, and another group set up shop from 4-7am, you also get the regular street vendors spread through everywhere through the day as well. It's also beside the canal where you can take a 100 baht boat ride to the main river that takes you to Chao Phraya River.

Back to your question, depends on what kind of action. The nightlife and bars at Silom are about 15 min cab away. If you want to go to those fancy restaurants in Sukhumvit, can take up to 30 without traffic, sometimes an hour or more during peak hours.
This is so helpful, thank you!

Still can't decide between this property, Athenee, or Marriott Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit

We would stay at a different property on our 3 days in BKK two weeks later. Just looking for a comfortable, pampering layover where we could go out if we desired.

My husband is lifetime plat with Marriott so we would have lounge access and a potential (although never counting on it) upgrade
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I would recommend staying anywhere but the Surawongse for your first time in BKK. Honestly, with that location, I wouldn't stay there if it was free. Stay at one of the places in Ratchaprasong - the Athenee is one - or along Suk. Marriott Suk 57 (Bangkok Marriott) is fine as well.

As for transportation, taxis to/from the airport are fine, but otherwise, avoid them. Tuk-tuks are the same. Uber/Lyft/GRAB are bad options as well. Any vehicle on the street that's not a motorcycle will take you way more time than you expect to get anywhere. Use public transportation whenever possible and hoof it the rest of the time.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Some
Currently lounging by the pool at Marriott The Surawongse, there are quite a few Chinese here but no large tour groups and this is probably the nicest Marriott I’ve ever stayed at (taking the crown from Marriott Taipei). If you can put up with the location, it might be time to decamp here. Service has been excellent and I was upgraded to a Two Bedroom Residential Suite on top of that. Currently this hotel is pricing above all the other Marriott options which appears to be keeping the tour groups away. Just a question of if you can handle the location.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
... this is probably the nicest Marriott I’ve ever stayed at (taking the crown from Marriott Taipei). If you can put up with the location, it might be time to decamp here. ... Just a question of if you can handle the location.
How did you find the location? According to Google Maps, it's a 19 minute walk to BTS Saphan Taksin, 17 minute walk to BTS Sala Daeng and a 15 minute walk to MRT Sam Yan. Consistent with your experience? I'd like to try the hotel, but adding 30-40 minutes (round trip) every time I walk out the front door doesn't really work for me.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 6, 2019 at 2:09 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
How did you find the location? According to Google Maps, it's a 19 minute walk to BTS Saphan Taksin, 17 minute walk to BTS Sala Daeng and a 15 minute walk to MRT Sam Yan. Consistent with your experience? I'd like to try the hotel, but adding 30-40 minutes (round trip) every time I walk out the front door doesn't really work for me.
Yes, can't get away from the negative of the location I'm afraid - it worked for me because I was looking to chill out by the pool mostly and I also typically rely on Grab rather than the MRT if the traffic doesn't look too bad. They definitely are aware the location is a negative and it feels like the hotel generally is trying to compensate for this in other ways (there is a half hourly shuttle service to the MRT all day as well, although this obviously restricts the times you can leave). Probably won't work so well for a first time tourist or someone who has meetings all over Bangkok whilst they are here.

Should also add caveats that i) I actually quite like the location of the W vs. Sukhumvit so probably more comfortable with this location than most and ii) I'm not sure I'd be so happy with the location if it was April and maximum humidity, but at this time of year it's completely fine in my opinion.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The nearest BTS is Chong nonsri, which will take about 10-15min of walking. For the above stations you mentioned, adding 10min to account for the hot and humid Bangkok weather seems about right.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 6, 2019 at 2:11 am Reason: Post move cleanup
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by shevboyz
The nearest BTS is Chong nonsri, which will take about 10-15min of walking. For the above stations you mentioned, adding 10min to account for the hot and humid Bangkok weather seems about right.
Google Maps says about 14 minutes to Chong Nonsi. So a half hour round trip. As you mentioned, the location is going to be a problem for me, so I'll give it a pass for now.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:19 am

Google Maps says about 14 minutes to Chong Nonsi. So a half hour round trip. As you mentioned, the location is going to be a problem for me, so I'll give it a pass for now.
I don't really recommend the location on a weekday because of the bad traffic around there during work days.
for weekend or public holiday, just use the grab app to travel around, it's inexpensive.
Location is by far this property main weakness.
​​
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I thought the property was amazing and the staff were great. I'm a frequent traveler to Bangkok, so I wasn't bothered by the location, but if it was my first time and I was looking to do touristy stuff, I could see this as a bit annoying. I used Grab to get here and travel around from here without any issues (I had one friend who said they had Grab drivers who had problems finding the hotel, but I never had that issue). If you want to do things in Silom, the main action is about a 15 minute walk up the street.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:53 am

Stayed here more than 10 times in 2018 and have always been treated extremely well. Lounge is amazing and can be a dinner replacement. They have a rotating menu and there was one night, they were serving sashimi. Breakfast is also top notch with freshly sliced mangos, baby coconuts and tons of protein. Other than perhaps the weird lobby smell, i absolutely love this Marriott property!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:58 am

Agree with Jerremy that the evening lounge spread was probably one of the most impressive I’ve ever seen and if this wasn’t Bangkok could definitely be a meal replacement. Loved it mostly because of the sheer variety of healthy options rather than it being mostly fried things - about 10 different kinds of roasted vegetables, sun dried tomatoes, nuts, fruits, etc.

Breakfast was less spectacular (certainly a big step down from, say, having access to the full restaurant breakfast at The Athenee) but is still very good for a lounge.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Agree with Jerremy that the evening lounge spread was probably one of the most impressive I’ve ever seen and if this wasn’t Bangkok could definitely be a meal replacement. Loved it mostly because of the sheer variety of healthy options rather than it being mostly fried things - about 10 different kinds of roasted vegetables, sun dried tomatoes, nuts, fruits, etc.

Breakfast was less spectacular (certainly a big step down from, say, having access to the full restaurant breakfast at The Athenee) but is still very good for a lounge.
​​​​​​The last time I was there , breakfast can be taken at the restaurant for platinum and it was very good. Did this change ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.