Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by miket
Am Titanium and have a few SNA’s left. We booked here for January 24-29 using cash, it says this reservation isn’t eligible for Suite Nights awards. I see people saying they used SNA’s.
As you say you have "a few SNAs left", maybe your SNAs expire on 31 December 2022? Are you trying to use SNAs that are currently valid in 2022 but expire before the actual stay in 2023 so you cannot apply them? Possibly the case. If so, then you cannot do that. They have to be used within their validity period.

If your SNAs were earned this year, during 2022, and expire on 31 December 2023 then the message you're getting means you're out of luck. Possible reasons: (a) the hotel hasn't allocated any rooms to the SNA pool; (b) the SNA quota is already taken. Either way, it doesn't hurt to to keep checking to see if the situation changes.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky
Any update here? Also, if there is a surcharge, what is it? Considering a stay there early next year.
Here now and free breakfast benefit back in the restaurant, way better than the lounge.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
https://www.facebook.com/marriottsurawongse/

https://www.facebook.com/prayakitchenbangkok/

https://www.instagram.com/marriottsurawongse/?hl=en

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 30, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ARLT
Here now and free breakfast benefit back in the restaurant, way better than the lounge.
Great news. Forcing breakfast in the lounge was one of the few weaknesses of this hotel
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Curious if the breakfast at the Surawongse is currently the best in terms of Elite Breakfast? Been trying to decide between Surawongse, JW and the SGS based on that.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:30 am

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ARLT
I just checked out of the hotel and I can confirm that the policy has changed back for the worst. Elite Breakfast is only in the M Club Lounge. It's a 350 baht per person addition if you went to dine in the restaurant.

The FD Agent was very nice when I told her that at end of January, I emailed the FD and they confirmed that you still got a choice of where to have breakfast at that time so they waived the fee. It sounded like it was a recent change. Maybe it's due to occupancy since they did say they were running at 90%+ the whole week.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm not sure if I came into the Surawongse Marriott with overly high expectations - while it was nice, the property felt imperfect, especially for a recent build (maybe I'm only into old hotels - hah!). The lounge breakfast restriction is especially a bummer. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded a few days before my stay to a M Suite, which was a full suite with separation
  • Nice view towards the King Power skyscraper
  • The room is attractive - maybe a bit generic - very similar to the JW
  • Bed was comfortable - plush pillows, just-right slightly plush mattress, good cover thickness
  • Shower pressure from the rainfall head was fantastic
  • Furniture was generally comfortable
  • The pool on the 18th floor is beautiful
  • Tasty Mai Tai at evening service in the lounge
  • Breakfast made to order lounge omelet was good
  • Offered 4 PM late checkout proactively
Neutral:
  • Brought a welcome gift of coconuts and salty snacks - a bit surprised there weren't any sweets - not a fan of coconut water or salty snacks - but the thought counts
Cons:
  • No option to take restaurant breakfast offered - not a fan of the selection at lounge breakfast, and the croissant had a bad flavor
  • Not a fan of the dessert quality at lounge evening service
  • No Internet steaming options on the TVs
  • WiFi was flaky and poor performing, especially on my iPhone
  • Lobby smelled kind of bad - like a bad smell masked by too much scent
The good bed and shower were nice, but the Surawongse Marriott has room to improve to be more competitive with other offerings.

Photos:

Old May 26, 2023, 1:33 am

Programs: Some
It’s funny how most of the things you view as a weakness I view as a strength! Has been a while since I stayed here but this is one of my favourite evening lounge spreads precisely because it includes loads of marinated vegetables, dried fruits, nut varieties etc rather than the usual cakes and fried food. Same with being given a welcome gift that is not macarons! The gym is also very good. Lack of restaurant breakfast I agree is unfortunate.

I agree this hotel feels pretty similar to the JW, which is ironic as the JW is theoretically supposed to be a cut above. I do think quality dropped a couple of years ago after the manager changed, though.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It’s funny how most of the things you view as a weakness I view as a strength! Has been a while since I stayed here but this is one of my favourite evening lounge spreads precisely because it includes loads of marinated vegetables, dried fruits, nut varieties etc rather than the usual cakes and fried food. Same with being given a welcome gift that is not macarons! The gym is also very good. Lack of restaurant breakfast I agree is unfortunate.

I agree this hotel feels pretty similar to the JW, which is ironic as the JW is theoretically supposed to be a cut above. I do think quality dropped a couple of years ago after the manager changed, though.
Yes, I often focus on desserts at evening service as I usually eat a combined lunch and dinner around 4 PM or so and then go to the lounge for dessert before a nice nap.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:48 am

These reviews from ElevatorEnthusias,are starting to show how one-night stays in hotels can skew opinions about them.
I agrre with lost_in_translation, this lounge is pleasant and have perfect service.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by HHQX888
These reviews from ElevatorEnthusias,are starting to show how one-night stays in hotels can skew opinions about them.
I agrre with lost_in_translation, this lounge is pleasant and have perfect service.
Unsure how the breakfast offering or evening service offering would have changed had I stayed multiple nights.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Unsure how the breakfast offering or evening service offering would have changed had I stayed multiple nights.
You're showing a lot of ignorance in that statement. The most important thing is that regardless of the number of days you stay, TV app streaming will not change.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by HHQX888
You're showing a lot of ignorance in that statement. The most important thing is that regardless of the number of days you stay, TV app streaming will not change.
The original response posted had nothing to do with the TV app streaming. Still very unclear why denigrating someone for staying one night is appropriate.

David
Old May 27, 2023, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
The original response posted had nothing to do with the TV app streaming. Still very unclear why denigrating someone for staying one night is appropriate.

David
Thank you, David - I'm also unclear how staying a different number of nights would have made my review "not skewed" - was I supposed to have more time to reflect on the lack of TV app streaming? Hah!
Old May 27, 2023, 6:51 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Seems pointless to get upset over someone just sharing their experience. Nowhere does he claim that this a typical experience at the hotel (an impossible claim to make), just his experience.

Also, different people obviously value different things. EE clearly values things like hotel breakfast and lounge quality whereas other people may value other factors like gym and spa quality more highly. The rankings are so subjective. It’s silly to get hard pressed over someone else’s hotel preferences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.