Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum

anyone have any experience here, i am checking london stay options
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lehms
anyone have any experience here, i am checking london stay options
I'd love to hear if you do stay. It looks wonderful...and a far cry better luxury experience than the overrated Park Tower nearby.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:37 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd love to hear if you do stay. It looks wonderful...and a far cry better luxury experience than the overrated Park Tower nearby.
I will be looking forward to reports as well. At this point I don't want to switch over my stay at the Park Tower since I have all of my SNAs pending for awhile and in my experience that helps with them clearing.

We did just watch a few YouTube videos on the Wellesley and it looks very nice.

At the very least I think my husband and I will have a drink there when we are in London to check it out.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:25 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
I will be looking forward to reports as well. At this point I don't want to switch over my stay at the Park Tower since I have all of my SNAs pending for awhile and in my experience that helps with them clearing.

At the very least I think my husband and I will have a drink there when we are in London to check it out.
We stayed last Oct at the Park Tower and had SNAs clear to a Panoramic Suite. It was a very disappointing suite and a disappointing stay on many levels. I'd never stay there again. To me, it's just a very nice Sheraton masquerading as a luxury hotel. It is not a luxury hotel at all.

If I were you, I'd cancel the SNAs and book immediately for the Wellesley. SNAs pending for more time at a property which is extremely disappointing aren't worth wasting there IMO. I'd much rather take a chance for the Wellesley now based solely on the photos and its far more impressive design and equally good location.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

I looked up reviews on TripAdvisor and found an interesting offer: 3 nights for the price of 2 when a junior suite or better is booked for a stay from May 27 thru June 25. You get a complimentary Rolls Royce drop off within 1.5 miles of the hotel.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We stayed last Oct at the Park Tower and had SNAs clear to a Panoramic Suite. It was a very disappointing suite and a disappointing stay on many levels. I'd never stay there again. To me, it's just a very nice Sheraton masquerading as a luxury hotel. It is not a luxury hotel at all.

If I were you, I'd cancel the SNAs and book immediately for the Wellesley. SNAs pending for more time at a property which is extremely disappointing aren't worth wasting there IMO. I'd much rather take a chance for the Wellesley now based solely on the photos and its far more impressive design and equally good location.
We've actually stayed at the Park Tower 4 or 5 times and have had a pretty good experience. I agree that it is not comparable to our favorite Luxury properties, but they have typically treated us well. We like One-o-One and we like the views (we have always enjoyed staying on higher floors) We may be sentimental too, since it was the first hotel we ever stayed at in Europe. The location is awesome, near to shopping, near the Tube and since we plan to dine at Dinner by Blumenthal- we like being able to just walk across the street.

We are intrigued by the Wellesley though, and it may be time for a change.
We will definitely check it out on this trip.

My husband hates changing hotels (PTSD I'm afraid from my early days in the hotel game when we qualified on stays instead of nights If he wasn't so averse I would split our stay 2/5 since we are there for 7 nights, but he would kill me. I most recently made him hotel hop last year qualifying for the Dashboard challenge and although he enjoyed trying new places he was not a happy camper.

I'm one of the few SPGers (I think you may be another) who has had total success with my SNAs clearing. I will report back after our stay (not until October)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

We've actually stayed at the Park Tower 4 or 5 times and have had a pretty good experience. I agree that it is not comparable to our favorite Luxury properties, but they have typically treated us well. We like One-o-One and we like the views (we have always enjoyed staying on higher floors) We may be sentimental too, since it was the first hotel we ever stayed at in Europe. The location is awesome, near to shopping, near the Tube and since we plan to dine at Dinner by Blumenthal- we like being able to just walk across the street.

We are intrigued by the Wellesley though, and it may be time for a change.
We will definitely check it out on this trip.

My husband hates changing hotels (PTSD I'm afraid from my early days in the hotel game when we qualified on stays instead of nights If he wasn't so averse I would split our stay 2/5 since we are there for 7 nights, but he would kill me. I most recently made him hotel hop last year qualifying for the Dashboard challenge and although he enjoyed trying new places he was not a happy camper.

I'm one of the few SPGers (I think you may be another) who has had total success with my SNAs clearing. I will report back after our stay (not until October)
To each, their own! But I'll be curious as to what you think if you do visit for a drink or meal or even to tour and see some rooms/suites. (Hint, hint.)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I think we will do that! It's another way to gauge the service at a hotel. I remember when we stayed at the Imperial and a manager at the Bristol gave us an amazing tour. They were so gracious and kind it made us want to switch 😊
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:17 am
Suspended

since we plan to dine at Dinner by Blumenthal- we like being able to just walk across the street.
I can't tell you how disappointed we were with Dinner...so I hope your experience is a lot better. Keep in mind that it's been plunging down the ranks of the World's Best Restaurants since its first appearance...and horribly negative reviews from us and so many others may be a hint as to why that is. I far prefer The Ledbury if you haven't been.

We even had negative service experiences at the bar area outside Dinner...and in the MO property in general. We don't ever plan to return.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:05 pm

I enjoyed my lunch at Dinner recently, and a better value.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!

i asked in the park tower thread but no one had any relevant experience - how do you get suite night awards to clear there? Is there any length of stay or time of year that you have found is most likely to get an award to clear? I've stayed at the park tower maybe 20 times and never got a SNA to go through. No problem at the le meredian, even for longer stays, and there I normally get executive suits, not just junior suites

TIA
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stant
i asked in the park tower thread but no one had any relevant experience - how do you get suite night awards to clear there? Is there any length of stay or time of year that you have found is most likely to get an award to clear? I've stayed at the park tower maybe 20 times and never got a SNA to go through. No problem at the le meredian, even for longer stays, and there I normally get executive suits, not just junior suites

TIA
My only attempt was a mid-Oct weekend last year, and the SNAs cleared. To be honest, I don't think you're missing much...and I'd never waste SNAs there again. I'd absolutely try the Wellesley over the PT even without any more info...as I know the PT completely underwhelmed me.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
My only attempt was a mid-Oct weekend last year, and the SNAs cleared. To be honest, I don't think you're missing much...and I'd never waste SNAs there again. I'd absolutely try the Wellesley over the PT even without any more info...as I know the PT completely underwhelmed me.
My girlfriend and I are particularly partial to the park tower as we met there. Besides for the dates I'd looked at, the lowest cost room at the Wellesley a room of only a little over 200 sq ft - was the same cash price as the suites at the park tower (not the top floor suites obviously) so I'm left wondering if it's worth the extra money. Maybe if it gets some favorable reviews here I'll give it a try.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:21 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I can't tell you how disappointed we were with Dinner...so I hope your experience is a lot better. Keep in mind that it's been plunging down the ranks of the World's Best Restaurants since its first appearance...and horribly negative reviews from us and so many others may be a hint as to why that is. I far prefer The Ledbury if you haven't been.<br /><br />We even had negative service experiences at the bar area outside Dinner...and in the MO property in general. We don't ever plan to return.
<br /><br />Thank you for the tip. We probably should move this to the dining thread but I am surprised about Dinner. We have only dined at 3 restaurants on the current 50 best list and all 3 experiences were memorable and worthwhile. This is an important trip for us (celebrating 40 years) so we want something special. Will check out the Ledbury.<br /><br />Even more off topic (but relevant I guess to any London thread) does anyone know of a legit secondary market for theater tickets? We had discounted trying to get King Lear tickets with Ian McKellen when they went on sale in March because it's out of town and then thought today - it's just a train ride-- but sadly they are totally sold out.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not new hotel, sounds like they recently signed franchise agreement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.