Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:46 pm
kkl

30 pounds up charge for full breakfast per person seems steep.

Any restrictions on the 1.5miles rolls chaffeur?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kkl
30 pounds up charge for full breakfast per person seems steep.

Any restrictions on the 1.5miles rolls chaffeur?
Only restriction i met was no luggage. And the driver is used to posing for photos as part of the ride ;-)

I also found the 1.5miles to be pretty relaxed. I got a ride to Oxford/Regent street intersection, which I think is slightly more than 1.5miles.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
... I remember going there when it was a Pizza Express!

HUH WHAT?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by raunow
Only restriction i met was no luggage. And the driver is used to posing for photos as part of the ride ;-)

I also found the 1.5miles to be pretty relaxed. I got a ride to Oxford/Regent street intersection, which I think is slightly more than 1.5miles.
I've booked the hotel for 5 nights in November. What would be an appropriate tip to the driver when using the Rolls Royce service?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Looks very nice. I remember going there when it was a Pizza Express!
Is it above where Pizza on the Park was, just up from the Lanesborough? That would make sense from the pic of the Hilton Park Lane in the distance.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
My 5 day stay there mid September was enjoyable. My Suite Upgrade certificates cleared. Upon arrival late evening the suite assigned, while nice, had practically no windows - the one Window faced a brick wall. I was initially told this was the only option. No natural light. I asked to be downgraded to a room with windows or moved to a different property. While in the lobby, I was checking on my phone for alternate hotels (and contemplating the dispute over the 1st night charge) when a different suite, this one with windows and limited view to the park, became available - and the room was lovely. (FYI - avoid the "Ella Fitzgerald Suite" if you like natural light)

The staff of the hotel is very friendly and helpful . The location next door to the underground superb. However UBER drivers cannot find the entrance to the hotel (their navigation takes them to the Lanesborough driveway).

I did not use the Rolls Royce's from the hotel. Everywhere I was going was further than their service area.

The Platinum breakfast is continental only (Toast, sweet rolls, juice and coffee). You cannot pay to upgrade the breakfast, but of course can add on a la carte. I did not dine at the Hotel, but ordered one night via room service the most expensive single scoop of ice cream I have ever ordered (and paid for laundry handsome sums).

Bottom line - I would gladly stay there again (making sure that I get a room with a view).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any more recent updates? Considering staying in the spring, can take advantage of Cat 7 booking rates before it permanently jumps up to a Cat 8. Other than being more boutique sized than others...what exactly makes this a Cat 8?

Continental breakfast alone is kind of a disappointment...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any more recent updates? Considering staying in the spring, can take advantage of Cat 7 booking rates before it permanently jumps up to a Cat 8. Other than being more boutique sized than others...what exactly makes this a Cat 8?

Continental breakfast alone is kind of a disappointment...
I stayed at the Park Tower Knightsbridge nearby in May and was surprised to see construction at this property- I had considered staying there. I would email the property first. I really don’t know the extent of the remodel, but scaffolding covered up the entrance.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The continental breakfast is a dealbreaker for me too
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Booked on points for between Christmas and New Years. The booking puts you into a Queen Accessible room, and then I received an email the next day from the front desk confirming that is the room that points bookings are put into.

Has anyone booked on points, and if so, what room did you receive?

Not thrilled about being forced into a tiny accessible room. Availability looks fairly tight around Christmas, so considering switching to another property.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:01 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's obviously impossible to say which location is better. Knightsbridge has become a theme park for rich Russians, Arabs and Americans and so you will almost never see anyone who lives in London going anywhere near there. It's fascinating, but in a pretty awful way.
Though I understand your point, someone considering staying in Knightsbridge should know that plenty of Londoners do still frequent this area. We stayed there for over a week in 2017 and used the wine and deli shop at Harvey Nichols since it was so convenient for us where we met several helpful locals who gave us great restaurant tips. I do recognize that locals have been priced out of the real estate market for the reasons you cite (prices are obscene) but my understanding is that many of those luxury homes sit vacant for most of the year. 😟
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
We stayed there for over a week in 2017...
Did I somehow miss that you stayed at the Wellesley or was this when you stayed at my-not-preferred Park Tower Knightsbridge?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:38 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Did I somehow miss that you stayed at the Wellesley or was this when you stayed at my-not-preferred Park Tower Knightsbridge?

Yes- by “there” I meant Knightsbridge. We were at PT. 😊

I know you are not fond of it, but we’ve always had very nice stays. One of our very few differences of opinion on hotels.
We don’t have many.

(OT aside—FWIW I don’t even consider our different experience at the Imperial to be a judgement of the hotel. I think my husband and I just had very bad luck when we stayed there. )

Back on topic- we didn’t have a chance last visit to check out Wellesley but when we visit London in March we’ll at least try to have a drink there. It looks interesting and we want to consider it since we pass through London often.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88

Yes- by “there” I meant Knightsbridge. We were at PT. 😊

I know you are not fond of it, but we’ve always had very nice stays. One of our very few differences of opinion on hotels.
We don’t have many.

(OT aside—FWIW I don’t even consider our different experience at the Imperial to be a judgement of the hotel. I think my husband and I just had very bad luck when we stayed there. )

Back on topic- we didn’t have a chance last visit to check out Wellesley but when we visit London in March we’ll at least try to have a drink there. It looks interesting and we want to consider it since we pass through London often.
I feel better! I was hoping I hadn’t missed a report on this one. I definitely will look forward to your thoughts particularly because we tend to agree so often on the higher end properties. Until then, we likely will continue to stay at the Halkin by COMO which always treats us so well.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Staying over MLK weekend. Figured it's worth a shot at the 60K/point level.

Below is what my rez booked into. I will not be happy if I end up in a Queen accessible...I am currently waiting w/SNAs. Will be tempted to switch actually to a different hotel if I see SNA availability somewhere else.

Room Description
Deluxe Non-smoking: King Bed•215 sq ft/20 sq m - 269 sq ft/25 sq m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.