Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Staying over MLK weekend. Figured it's worth a shot at the 60K/point level.

Below is what my rez booked into. I will not be happy if I end up in a Queen accessible...I am currently waiting w/SNAs. Will be tempted to switch actually to a different hotel if I see SNA availability somewhere else.

Room Description
Deluxe Non-smoking: King Bed•215 sq ft/20 sq m - 269 sq ft/25 sq m
Good luck! Please do keep us posted if you do stay.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Short summary - amazing service, great location, probably wouldn't pay Cat 8 points

Had a good stay overall here, just came back from three nights. SNA cleared though I annoyingly had to fight for it a bit at check-in (Marriott making my reservation disappear from me, even though my Amb/rep could see it, only compounded the issue). To summarize:

Pros:
  • Impeccable service (light occupancy helped), it felt like a 1:1 ratio between guests and staff
  • It is definitely a boutique property - nice if you don't want to see hundreds of other guests roaming around
  • Good location right by the Hyde Park Corner tube / bus stop, can take the Piccadilly straight from LHR for cost savings
  • Having the butler service is nice - wake-up coffee/tea every day. Didn't use any other services.
  • Free ride in a 7-series within 1.5 miles - driver was great, nice guy
  • Finishings of the room are quite nice; bathroom was fantastic and almost as big as the room
  • Didn't use them, but have a nice cigar bar / regular bar
  • SNA did clear to a Jr. Suite w/ a Hyde Park view
Cons:
  • Breakfast is similar to PDG (maybe a bit more) - continental (fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins/pastries, cereal, etc.) but nothing hot. Complies to the letter of the law, but not going above and beyond.
  • No gym - they will drive you to a local one but you have to pay the 25 GBP on your own
  • Rooms are tiny...base is 250-280, my upgraded Jr. Suite was 330, even the full 1BR suite is 420. So don't go expecting space.
  • I know SNAs are out of the hotel's hands...but 3 suites / suites with a park view (different categories) were bookable for the full 3 days each at check-in, and I know they were available for a further cash upgrade...whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and I am one who has been highly successful and happy w/SNAs since they launched
  • Location is "central" but you're a 5 minute walk from any shops/restaurants (which is not far)...I think I'd rather just stay in Mayfair/Marylebone/Fitzrovia or thereabouts next time to be more in the action (but YMMV)

Was a great chance to try out for 60K points/night, but I'm not paying 85K in the future when there are so many other good Cat 7 properties.
SanDiego1K and l380 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Short summary - amazing service, great location, probably wouldn't pay Cat 8 points
  • I know SNAs are out of the hotel's hands...but 3 suites / suites with a park view (different categories) were bookable for the full 3 days each at check-in, and I know they were available for a further cash upgrade...whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and I am one who has been highly successful and happy w/SNAs since they launched
Thanks for the summary review!

As for the lack of upgrade beyond your SNA junior suite, I’d say that’s a bigger issue for the hotel recognizing your Ambassador elite status than with the SNA process. It’s perfectly appropriate IMO for a small boutique hotel like this to keep its top end suites unavailable for the general SNA and complimentary Platinum upgrade pool, especially since giving one of those away on the first of 3 nights precludes such a small hotel from selling those suites for 3 nights. For your average Platinum guest, that’s more than appropriate to my mind.

But for someone with Ambassador status, one might expect a little better elite treatment and special priority for such an elevated upgrade. That this hotel doesn’t seem inclined to treat an Ambassador guest any better would preclude many from bothering with this hotel as an option.

Between the very small size of the even upgraded rooms and junior suite and the lack of better Ambassador treatment with better suites available, I likely won’t bother here and probably will stick with my London favorite: the nearby Halkin by COMO.

A shame. But the hotel is entitled to do what it sees best, just as elite cusomters can do the same. We have to vote with our wallets and hope the hotel management thinks differently in due course.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I blame Marriott somewhat for the IT CF with the SNA, that is on them. I think I was penalized there.

But I was also a bit disappointed at the lack of any Ambassador guest recognition or the like.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia

Had a good stay overall here, just came back from three nights. SNA cleared though I annoyingly had to fight for it a bit at check-in (Marriott making my reservation disappear from me, even though my Amb/rep could see it, only compounded the issue). To summarize:

Pros:
  • Impeccable service (light occupancy helped), it felt like a 1:1 ratio between guests and staff
  • It is definitely a boutique property - nice if you don't want to see hundreds of other guests roaming around
  • Good location right by the Hyde Park Corner tube / bus stop, can take the Piccadilly straight from LHR for cost savings
  • Having the butler service is nice - wake-up coffee/tea every day. Didn't use any other services.
  • Free ride in a 7-series within 1.5 miles - driver was great, nice guy
  • Finishings of the room are quite nice; bathroom was fantastic and almost as big as the room
  • Didn't use them, but have a nice cigar bar / regular bar
  • SNA did clear to a Jr. Suite w/ a Hyde Park view
Cons:
  • Breakfast is similar to PDG (maybe a bit more) - continental (fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins/pastries, cereal, etc.) but nothing hot. Complies to the letter of the law, but not going above and beyond.
  • No gym - they will drive you to a local one but you have to pay the 25 GBP on your own
  • Rooms are tiny...base is 250-280, my upgraded Jr. Suite was 330, even the full 1BR suite is 420. So don't go expecting space.
  • Location is "central" but you're a 5 minute walk from any shops/restaurants (which is not far)...I think I'd rather just stay in Mayfair/Marylebone/Fitzrovia or thereabouts next time to be more in the action (but YMMV)

Was a great chance to try out for 60K points/night, but I'm not paying 85K in the future when there are so many other good Cat 7 properties.
Thanks for the detailed review! Planning to stay there next month.

Just three questions
1. Did the smoke smell bother you?
2. What happened to the rolls Royce?
3. When does the chauffeur drop off operate?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smoke a non issue. And I am sensitive to it. Didn’t even really smell it in the cigar room too much.

It was outside but maybe just for show? 7er did the driving.

1.5 mile radius. They will check.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Cons:
This is a myth. The terms and conditions explicitly state properties without a lounge have to provide "breakfast" in the restaurant, not a "continental" or "buffet" breakfast but "breakfast" thereby implying the eligible elite-status guest will have a choice. Moreover, the culture of hoteliers in the United Kingdom is to provide a hot breakfast. So, this property isn't just failing to meet the standards of Marriott's terms and conditions, but is below the standard of every 3 star or better British hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is a myth. The terms and conditions explicitly state properties without a lounge have to provide "breakfast" in the restaurant, not a "continental" or "buffet" breakfast but "breakfast" thereby implying the eligible elite-status guest will have a choice. Moreover, the culture of hoteliers in the United Kingdom is to provide a hot breakfast. So, this property isn't just failing to meet the standards of Marriott's terms and conditions, but is below the standard of every 3 star or better British hotel.
Apparently not. Also, my experience in the UK at 3-4 star hotels has included very few hot breakfasts as you suggest. Far more common is continental breakfast. Of course, if we want more here, we merely have to pay a supplement.

I think people get a little carried away with what constitutes a breakfast. If a continental breakfast offering doesn’t meet some definitions, I assume some won’t want to stay here.

I’d prefer a full American breakfast, of course. But I’ve suffered the indignity of less at many otherwise excellent hotels. And at boutique luxury hotels, in particular, I’ve had many continental breakfast offerings without “hot” items.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 23, 2019 at 12:01 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have loved a Full English daily for sure. But I didn’t walk away hungry. And just left more room for pies and fish n chips later.

Breakfast is further down down in terms of some of the limitations of this property for me personally.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Apparently not. Also, my experience in the UK at 3-4 star hotels has included very few hot breakfasts as you suggest. Far more common is continental breakfast. Of course, if we want more here, we merely have to pay a supplement.

Every hotel that I've ever stayed at in the United Kingdom that includes breakfast, either complimentary or as part of a special rate, has offered a full cooked breakfast on top of the light, continental buffet. This includes family-owned 3-star hotels in Northumberland to inns above pubs in Kent. Even some of the legacy Marriott properties typically have more cooked or hot options -- even in the concierge/club/executive lounge -- than comparable legacy Marriott properties in North America.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok, so now we know. This property offers elites a cont'l breakfast vs. full English. For those whom a full English is a deal-breaker they can stay at other properties. For those whom the cont'l is fine, they can still consider this property. Moving on...

Cheers.
UA-NYC and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Any recent stays at this property?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shocked they are still a part of Marriott TBH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.