Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
It looks like there is nothing at all, even way past October. Wonder what's going on?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
It looks like there is nothing at all, even way past October. Wonder what's going on?
That would be COVID-19, and either closing for good or no reopen date set.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I checked with Bonvoy Twitter - here is what they said:

Hello, thank you for reaching us. At the moment, Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Napa Valley is closed until end of October (subject to changes). Please check back with us or from our official website http://marrbnvy.com/6016GSSos around next month.
So sadly I think my booking for Oct. 3 is going to get nuked.

My questions for those who know the area well as we look for alternatives:
1) What are other hotels/boutiques (agnostic of points affiliation) in St. Helena or nearby towns that match the caliber/feel of the Las Alcobas?
2) If using Marriott or Hyatt points what is preferred Andaz Napa or Renaissance Lodge in Sonoma? (we are doing one day of touring in Napa one in Sonoma)
3) Any other tips for having a great first time in wine country outside of the obvious (obvious being plan ahead, have reservations, monitor fire/COVID issues, etc.)

Best regards,

Beofotch

Last edited by beofotch; Sep 8, 2020 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by beofotch
I checked with Bonvoy Twitter - here is what they said:

So sadly I think my booking for Oct. 3 is going to get nuked.

My questions for those who know the area well as we look for alternatives:
1) What are other hotels/boutiques (agnostic of points affiliation) in St. Helena or nearby towns that match the caliber/feel of the Las Alcobas?
2) If using Marriott or Hyatt points what is preferred Andaz Napa or Renaissance Lodge in Sonoma? (we are doing one day of touring in Napa one in Sonoma)
3) Any other tips for having a great first time in wine country outside of the obvious (obvious being plan ahead, have reservations, monitor fire/COVID issues, etc.)

Best regards,

Beofotch
I'm booked at the end of October on a points booking and the website shows no available rooms for either cash or points so I'm guessing I better look for a backup plan as well.

Regarding your questions:
(1) If you compare the cash rates that Las Alcobas commands then there are plenty of places there I like better. Bardessono in Yountville would be at the top of that list for me.
(2) Andaz in Napa is a great use of points - just rarely available. Especially on weekends.Walking distance to plenty of restaurants in the evening too. Don't forget the other Bonvoy hotels in Napa as well. The Westin Verasa over the Marriott for me with location and michelin star restaurant in-house.
(3) The crowds are low at the wineries right now however they have limited seatings to match so still need to plan with tasting bookings. I can probably help get you get in for a free tasting or two so you can pm me if you don't have solid plans yet.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I just asked my ambassador to check if it was possible to move my booking, as I doubt I am able to go to the US on the days I am booked. After some communication with the hotel, she said that the hotel is leaving Marriott, but they are happy to still honour my current point booking. To be exact, leaving The Luxury Collection. But as they don't show up on the Marriott app, I guess that does not mean reflag to another brand. Last day with The Luxury Collection is the 15th of Sep
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For those whose reservations were cancelled, could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not sure I'd be planning a vacation in northern California during the fire season (which now extends into early November).
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I just asked my ambassador to check if it was possible to move my booking, as I doubt I am able to go to the US on the days I am booked. After some communication with the hotel, she said that the hotel is leaving Marriott, but they are happy to still honour my current point booking. To be exact, leaving The Luxury Collection. But as they don't show up on the Marriott app, I guess that does not mean reflag to another brand. Last day with The Luxury Collection is the 15th of Sep
I was starting to get worried about this with no reservations available well into next year. I was lucky enough to get in a couple awards reservations here and assuming the news is true, I will definitely miss this property being a part of Marriott.
SanDiego1K and texmanufan like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
that the hotel is leaving Marriott, but they are happy to still honour my current point booking. To be exact, leaving The Luxury Collection.
I'm sorry to read this. The hotel has a great location and is the best of any chain properties in the area with which I am familliar.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:52 pm

Any idea where the hotel is going?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:35 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We had to cancel our trip here and we were really looking forward to visiting in the future. Sad that this property is leaving Marriott. We had heard good things.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:43 pm

Where is the hotel going? My guess is independent. I'm sure a LOT of people were using points to stay there. Now the only major points places are way down in the city of Napa. Except for the Best Western in Calistoga, which I'm sure most would turn up their noses at. There are lots of really nice places up at that end of the valley, but you'll have to shell out a lot of cash.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Now the only major points places are way down in the city of Napa.
There's a Residence Inn called Hotel Trio Healdsburg. We toured it last year. It's a decent property, far fewer points than Las Alcobas, but then again, not the elegance of Las Alcobas. Still, if folks are eager to use points, it's a place to consider. There are a lot of solid restaurants in Healdsburg.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...io-healdsburg/

There are also some properties where you can use points in Santa Rosa. I've only stayed at the Hyatt of which I am not overly fond, but there is also a Courtyard Santa Rosa and AC Hotel Downtown.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There's a Residence Inn called Hotel Trio Healdsburg. We toured it last year. It's a decent property, far fewer points than Las Alcobas, but then again, not the elegance of Las Alcobas. Still, if folks are eager to use points, it's a place to consider. There are a lot of solid restaurants in Healdsburg.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...io-healdsburg/

There are also some properties where you can use points in Santa Rosa. I've only stayed at the Hyatt of which I am not overly fond, but there is also a Courtyard Santa Rosa and AC Hotel Downtown.
Also the Renaissance Lodge at Sonoma where we have stayed and liked a lot - but over on the Napa Valley/Silverado corridor there is not much (now that Las Alcobas is leaving) outside the city of Napa.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:41 pm

Anyone know how to track when they might be opening up again? Have the first weekend in november booked.

Long-term this is devastating from a redemption point of view given the great location and lack of other points redemptions in the valley. Although not surprising as I've never felt like they valued the tie up with Marriott, especially after the merger. In the 4 or 5 times i've stayed there I certainly never got warm fuzzies over my status. If they can continue to command the rates they charge for great hard product but IME lackluster service without being associated with Marriott, more power to them. Given the choice of paying astronomical rates for here or the Bardessono, i'll be choosing the latter.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just got the following (we had this place booked for next June on points). This is a pain since the wedding we are going to is in St. Helena so Las Alcobas was perfectly located and now if we stick with a chain we'll be looking at a drive no matter what.

Kind of them to also offer the 60k point difference for two nights at Las Alcobas vs. 2 nights at Westin Verasa for the same dates. Guess I'll just have to cancel and then re-book if we decide to stick with the Westin

I assume in this instance I can't decline and just keep the Las Alcobas reservation since it's a points reservation and not a cash one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.