Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by northernstar84
and whats the rate code?
no code needed. Just be logged in and you see it in package&deals
Old May 31, 2020, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by itisme
Re-opened yesterday and they have a VERY good promo right now with real good prices. 104 EUR per night for marriott members.

Member Rate Welcome Back, includes breakfast, 25 percent off Retail Rate.
  • 25 percent off Marriott Bonvoy Members including breakfast, 7
  • days a week for stays from 1st June until 30 September.
Have booked for next week 4 nights so will report back. Stayed there before a few times so interesting to see how it will be in these times. Wish they would've added Free parking but guess that's too much asked
Great find! Just booked for 1 night in June as well. Normally this hotel is well around 200 or above.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Booked the cheapest room. Got upgraded to the suite (Titanium). Hotel was prob 10/20% full. During weekend it was much busier. Hotel has re-opened may 29. At check-in you have to answer 5 health questions. Then walking to your room it's a one way system. Leaving your room it's also a one way system the other way.
When booking the special offer breakfast is included. Staff didn't notice and just asked if i wanted breakfast or points. So do keep an eye on that that you get breakfast AND points (1000pts).
Breakfast is now delivered to your room OR eaten in the restaurant. You can choose. At check-in you get forms for every day of your stay on which you select all the options you want. to be fair LOT of options imo and the breakfast times are amazing cause you can have it delivered to your room until noon! They were always to the minute spot on when delivering. Looked like this:

I rented a bike aswell but somehow wasn't charged for it. If renting one for multiple days it becomes cheaper (i think first day was 18, then second day 14). Bikes were serviced while i was there but depends on which one u get how the quality is like. Dont hesitate to ask for a replacement bike. Parking was 35EURO per day. Yes there are cheaper options nearby but just went for the convenience. Overall good stay. As titanium always get upgraded to suites whenever available. As i said in another review somewhere i wouldnt advice this hotel for first-timers to the city but for Dutch people and people more known with the city it's a perfect budget option for a good quality hotel. Rates until end of september are 103-112EUR. Nearby sir albert charges around 139 and is a little more convenient for public transport but also higher parking charges.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
was originally staying at the element for 5 nights in december but they seem to have shut shop for the foreseeable future so have moved my stay here....

any stays over the last couple of weeks or months????what are the occupancy levels like????
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Any recent experiences / stays?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Not recent stay (I was here in 2019 on my last big trip before the pandemic) and I must be one of the few who did not like the hotel at all.

I booked an upgraded room since pictures on the website showed based level rooms being very dated and not the refurbished with the flecked maroon/black carpet and old bed/dresser. Was only a silver at the time so no upgrade was to be expected. Staff were kind but I'd like to know who decided to fill the entire hallway between the checkin desk and the elevator with enormous potted plants. The carpeted area by the elevators and from the elevators to the rooms were of the old and unrefurbished maroon/black colour I wanted to avoid, but when I got to the room itself I found it very modern and fresh. A bit small but it was to be expected. Breakfast was excellent.

But the biggest problem I had was the location: Sure, it was in a very quiet light-commercial district but it was very far away not only from the city center but it was a 1 km or 15-minute walk from the nearest Metro (De Pijp) or tram station, and 20 minutes to the Rijksmuseum, so I was spending way too much time going back and forth from the hotel even after getting off public transport. I was trying to decide between this and the "Sir Albert" and chose this for my first Tribute Portfolio hotel. Would not return as disadvantages too much to ignore.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by skye1
Any recent experiences / stays?
Also looking to book this property, would love to hear any recent experiences.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Also looking to book this property, would love to hear any recent experiences.

Be a bit more specific with your question. What is it you want to know. Then we can help instead of just a 'recent experience'.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Currently staying at this property and wanted to provide some additional details.

Location - It’s pretty close to the RAI which is where I had a conference for the week. Was about ~10-15 min walk from it. It’s also about ~15 min walk from the big museums (Stedelijk, Van Gogh, Moco). Make sure you try to get tickets online in advance for these. I took the train to the south station then a bus/tram from there to a ~5 min walk from the hotel.
My room was upgraded and I believe the upgrade was a water view. Room was modern, spacious, and had a 1928 Olympics theme.
The staff everywhere were very friendly and accommodating. I selected breakfast as my benefit.
Breakfast was great. Excellent selection of fruits, items from bakery, hashbrowns, mushrooms, scrambled eggs, 4 minute boiled eggs, 7 minute boiled eggs, cheese, bacon, yogurt, granola assortment. It had everything and more for what I was looking for.
FWIW, I actually really liked the hallway to the elevator. It was full of an assortment of plants with some interesting chairs. I think I am just drawn to this because its different from a typical vain ally Marriott.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
the Apollo used to be a Wyndham before,

but it seems they spruced it up quite a bit:
https://www.hospitality-management.n...en-nieuw-jasje
https://www.apollohotelamsterdam.com
https://www.facebook.com/apollohotelamsterdam/videos/360-video-apollo-hotel-amsterdam-a-tribute-portfolio-hotel/1686734728014301/

The harbourclub restaurant attached to the hotel:
https://theharbourclub.com/nl_nl/amsterdam-zuid/
is somewhat a celebrity hot spot of the Dutch ABC list + garnishes
especially if you bump into Dries Roelvink: https://www.shownieuws.nl/zomerediti...dries-roelvink
just like Dr. Joyce Brothers, he's never weary of publicity

contrary to the name, Harbour Club is NOT the hotel's club lounge,
actually this hotel does NOT have a club lounge at all

hint: some of those balcony rooms look out into the driveway court
if you get upgraded into those, politely mention you won't be fobbed off
https://traveler.marriott.com/amster...tel-amsterdam/

* the one on the top floor is the only nicest one

This is one of the few photos where you can see the less desirable balcony rooms behind the green tree,
Most of the photos online show the trees in full bloom so you can't get a bearing of those balcony rooms.

By itself, a balcony is always nice but not during THU / FRI / SAT / SUN,
when the circular driveway is full with moving cars of those visiting the popular Harbourclub restaurant

Hotel has rooms do look out on the water,
those are in the main tower,
+
and some in the low rise,
These do have windows/door that can open to a juilliet type balcony but those rooms are the closest to the hustle & bustle of the restaurant
See below:
- harbourclub restaurant in lower left corner
- low rise with rooms that have juilliet type balcony
- on the right the main hotel tower

* you can spot the true balcony rooms on the left side of the tower:
only those on the highest floor have unobstructed views over the low rise annex towards the water

Coffeemadman and enelym1978 like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 23, 2023 at 2:45 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Currently staying here for a 3 day trip. Originally booked the Renaissance but changed to here last minute due to the renovations and the other hotels were out of budget. booked a standard king room and was upgraded to a corner suite with a view of the canal in the lower section of the hotel. Room is very clean and prob. recently renovated. The bathroom is very big but has no privacy so make sure you are very comfortable with whoever you are staying with. It's just a glass window between the bedroom and bathroom and there's no shades.

It's about 20min walk to Musuem area or about 45min walk to the "downtown" area. I chose to to walk to De Pijp station (10-15min) walk and just take the M52 down to Centraal Station or Rikon station. Metro take contactless now (except no Amex) so it's pretty convenient.

Hotel also has bike rentals but one of our group was "bike challenge" so we just walked to take the metro/tram everywhere.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Here's some pictures of Room 226. Sorry, a bit of mess as I took them during check out.

Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:35 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Great stay in Amsterdam

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Amsterdam, Apollolaan 2 NL 1077 BA

Great stay in Amsterdam (22 Photos)

I picked this hotel because everything else in the core center was crazy expensive. I knew it was a tiny bit out of the way but in reality, it's really not that bad. You can easily reach it going to Amsterdam Zuid station from the airport, switch to the metro to De Pijp and walk 10-15minutes or take a longer tram from Zuid station and still walk the 10-15 minutes. It's by a canal, which is nice if you book a canal view room. The other rooms are overlooking the parking lot, not too sexy. I walked to the center once and it took me around 45minutes to an hour, depending on how fast you walk and how often you stop for pictures, which I did.

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

Check In

I checked-in online via the app. No upgrade given (I'm just LT Gold) but I did book a canal view room. FD agents were friendly and efficient. Everything explained to me from breakfast hours to the gym and F&B options. I chose my points as usual as welcome amenity but they gave me a drink voucher on top of it, which was very welcome.

IMG_3783.jpg

Room

My room was 549, on the second last floor of the tower building. The room was big and spacious with a small table/desk, a one person sofa, chairs and plenty of space to walk around and store your luggage. I liked the decoration of the room, with a dark accent.

There was a capsule L'Or coffee machine wtih a few capsules, 2 free bottled waters in the mini bar. There are bathrobes available, safety box and glasses.

The view was nice, over the canal and the rowing school.

This hotel still offers the option to skip housekeeping in exchange for a EUR 5 voucher to be used at the bar. It's a sign you hang at the door and they then leave the voucher under the door. It's nice for short stays. I used that option. The sign is "hidden" in the closet near the safety box.

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

1_IMG_3787.jpg

Bathroom

The bathroom was not as nice and blue as the previous poster though  :) I love those blue tiles, which were absent in my bathroom, but I didn't get the glass separation issue. 

The shower separation is a bit annoying, over the bathtub. It's one of those glass doors that don't really stop the water from getting over to the floor... not the first and not the last hotel with this issue. But other than that, big enough, well lit and with fixed dispensers on the wall.

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

Dining

Breakfast was included in my rate. Served in the Harbour Club. It's not that big actually, on Saturday morning it was full and they sat me in the adjacent "The Living Room", which is their bar. I didn't mind, though the table was a bit small and a bit low. The food choice is quite good, the usual hot and cold items, juices. The coffee machines are self operated so there's often a queue waiting for other guests to get their coffees.. a bit annoying.

If you manage to score a table by the window, those are the best to enjoy a bit of a view of the canal. There is also an outdoor sitting area but it was closed.

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

Gym

I didn't use the gym but I went to take some pics. It was empty. It's located in the "basement" so there are no natural light, no windows. Worse is I saw some signs pointing at some room numbers on that same floor... which is weird and I wonder what kind of windows they get?

It's just your regular hotel gym, with plenty of cardio machines and some free weights. It's really not that enticing... but it's there.

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

Overall

I would stay here again if there are no similarly priced properties closer to the core center. I paid EUR 367.84 including taxes for 2 nights for a weekend early March.

Great stay in Amsterdam

Would you like to write a review on the The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio?

No, thank you.
Yes
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.