Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle

Did a random search for SPG hotel in Amsterdam and saw a new name pop-up.

Used to be a LM until 2006, then went to the Wyndham Group. Will no be back with SPG as a Tribute Portfolio.
They will make changes in the hotel in the first 3 months of opening, although they say that the rooms are not effected by noise. They are in another building. Seems that you can currently only book the Executive Rooms on SPG, not the Standard ones. (and from the looks of it on the Apollo site, I understand why)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm interested in this property as another option in Amsterdam if unwilling to pony up the high rate of the W.

Anyone familiar with the area and can provide some insight on the location as compare to the Element? This seems to be just slightly closer to city center than the cheaper Element.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Plat
Will definitely try this hotel on my next visit, as I can almost never get rates in W within my corporate limit, and Element is brand new, but completely lacks character for me

Location seems to be very good, 15 minute walk from Reijksmuseum, and very short trip with the tram to the canals
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
I'm interested in this property as another option in Amsterdam if unwilling to pony up the high rate of the W.

Anyone familiar with the area and can provide some insight on the location as compare to the Element? This seems to be just slightly closer to city center than the cheaper Element.
Have to check to see where the Element is. I'm going from memory back when this was a Wyndham, but it's halfway between the RAI & the city but closer to the RAI.

Cheers.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:50 am
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
Location of W versus The Apollo

I just noticed this hotel on SPG last night and I'm thinking about booking a cash and point stay for my second visit (I point this out to show that I'm not very familiar with the city) to Amsterdam this Fall. I'd originally intended to stay at the W, but The Apollo is less cash and less points. How does the location of The Apollo compare to that of the W?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by mjz
I just noticed this hotel on SPG last night and I'm thinking about booking a cash and point stay for my second visit (I point this out to show that I'm not very familiar with the city) to Amsterdam this Fall. I'd originally intended to stay at the W, but The Apollo is less cash and less points. How does the location of The Apollo compare to that of the W?
Night and day difference if you want to be in the center of the city and do things such as walk to most of the key spots. The Apollo will require taking a tram to see things such as Dam Square, Anne Frank House, Red Light District, etc.

You can walk to the museum row and its about a 25 min walk to Leidseplein.

I can't speak highly enough about the location of the W. Yes it's expensive, but they have done a great job with the building and you can't beat the location.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed here several times when it was LM. As I recall most of the entry level rooms are cookie cutter with little variation. But I mostly got nice suites here.

I just found a review I did back in 2006.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ni-review.html

Later I moved into an apartment about 800m away. So I'm one who very much likes that area.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
looks like this hotel is still unbranded. anyone know when it'll be branded as a tribute property?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
looks like this hotel is still unbranded. anyone know when it'll be branded as a tribute property?
​​​​​​It became part of Starwood on Jan 1, and will become part of the Tribute Portfolio on April 1.

https://www.apollohotels.co.uk/blog/apollo-hotel-amsterdam-to-join-the-tribute-portfolio/
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Does anybody know when these renovations will be going on?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Filler03
Does anybody know when these renovations will be going on?
It would be from January 1 to March 31.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/gx/pro...ropertyID=4748
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Just stayed there. A lot of renovation work, but it's not disturbing.

Hotel is quite old and used, wondering how much they will really renovate. Lifts for example were extremely used. In general was a bit disappointed with hotel, but will check again in April after full renovation is completed.

Gym is a tiny room (15 sqm?) with just couple machines. Breakfast is mediocre, though definitely better then one in Element hotel.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by travelling_p
Just stayed there. A lot of renovation work, but it's not disturbing.

Hotel is quite old and used, wondering how much they will really renovate. Lifts for example were extremely used. In general was a bit disappointed with hotel, but will check again in April after full renovation is completed.

Gym is a tiny room (15 sqm?) with just couple machines. Breakfast is mediocre, though definitely better then one in Element hotel.
Hi travelling_p, do you have any update on the platinum perks? Was the welcome gift 250 or 500 points and was breakfast included?

Thanks,

Arjen
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:03 am

500 points OR breakfast
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.