Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Currently staying at the hotel, renovation is going on and it's still not branded as a Tribute Portfolio hotel. From what I can, it will take a while for the renovation to be completed.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by ellaq2008
Currently staying at the hotel, renovation is going on and it's still not branded as a Tribute Portfolio hotel. From what I can, it will take a while for the renovation to be completed.
How was the SPG elite recognition? Did you get all the SPG benefits? Welcome gifts, upgrade, etc.?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nesnith
How was the SPG elite recognition? Did you get all the SPG benefits? Welcome gifts, upgrade, etc.?
Will classify the recognition to be standard. Was offered points, breakfast, or a local gift as a Platinum amenity at check-in. Ended up choosing breakfast, but would be interested in the number of points given (would assume it's 500). Was told that room was upgraded, but it's not a suite. Now I am interested in seeing which brand will show up on my account after checking out.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Plat
Just completed my 2nd stay there.

The property is still being refurbished, what changed since the last visit is a new reception.

In the room, there was a special thank you letter addressed to other guessed, congratulating him on a 10th visit and special platter with sweets.

The room seemed to be refurbished, especially bathroom looked new. However, shower was a nightmare! After no more than 40 seconds, shower flooded the whole bathroom. I was not even able to wash my hair. Complete disaster.

Breakfast is quite average, but better than in Element hotels.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:27 pm

Disappointing to hear. I have a trip to Amsterdam planned for the end of the year and was thinking of staying at the Apollo to save some points over the Sir Adam.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Just completed my 3rd stay here in the past 2 months. SPG Plat recognition pretty standard: 500 points, welcome gift or breakfast and no special room upgrades. You'll get your room key in the 'you are upgraded' sleeve, but upgrades are pretty limited to harbour view rooms - see the attached images for the upgraded room that I've got yesterday.
The first two times there was a welcome letter from the duty manager in the room.

Some random comments:

Renovations
The hotel is currently under renovation. All rooms on the 2nd floor have been refurbed and the one I've stayed in on the first floor (pics) also, but.. both adjacent rooms incl. the one with connecting door, were still under construction. There was not even furniture in there yet.
I had to speak at a conference Monday night and expected to get back late and was afraid of construction noise in the morning, so directly after checking in and entering my room, I've called the reception to ask for another room. They didn't move me, but ensured me that they've blocked all construction works in both rooms next to me.
As I expected, Tuesday morning, minutes after 7am construction workers started in the room with the connecting door.

Airport shuttle
The hotel offers an airport shuttle several times per day for 7 euro. I've booked a seat for the 7.30am shuttle during a stay in April. I was at the reception a bit before that and checked out - the exact time stamp at my credit card receipt is 7.30 - but the shuttle had left in the meanwhile. No refund or alternative options were offered, had to take a 35 euro taxi on top of the shuttle ticket. Make sure you'll arrive upfront, even though you're in the hotel lobby they won't remind you of the shuttle leaving the hotel.

Restaurant
The harbour club: really fancy place. Nice view, good food, great atmosphere! Just one note: verify your order: I've had dinner and wine, ordered a bottle from the menu and when the waiter asked us if we'd like to order another one we said yes. In the end it turned out that the second wine was 50% more expensive than the first bottle..
Attached Images   
Football Fan likes this.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by arjen05

Renovations
The hotel is currently under renovation. All rooms on the 2nd floor have been refurbed and the one I've stayed in on the first floor (pics) also, but.. both adjacent rooms incl. the one with connecting door, were still under construction. There was not even furniture in there yet.
I had to speak at a conference Monday night and expected to get back late and was afraid of construction noise in the morning, so directly after checking in and entering my room, I've called the reception to ask for another room. They didn't move me, but ensured me that they've blocked all construction works in both rooms next to me.
As I expected, Tuesday morning, minutes after 7am construction workers started in the room with the connecting door.

Airport shuttle
The hotel offers an airport shuttle several times per day for 7 euro. I've booked a seat for the 7.30am shuttle during a stay in April. I was at the reception a bit before that and checked out - the exact time stamp at my credit card receipt is 7.30 - but the shuttle had left in the meanwhile. No refund or alternative options were offered, had to take a 35 euro taxi on top of the shuttle ticket. Make sure you'll arrive upfront, even though you're in the hotel lobby they won't remind you of the shuttle leaving the hotel.

Restaurant
The harbour club: really fancy place. Nice view, good food, great atmosphere! Just one note: verify your order: I've had dinner and wine, ordered a bottle from the menu and when the waiter asked us if we'd like to order another one we said yes. In the end it turned out that the second wine was 50% more expensive than the first bottle..
Wow. Those are 3 big service failures. Did you address them with the property or SPG Customer Care after? Is the hotel overall so nice you've overlooked those items to stay there 3x?
Old May 29, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by arjen05
Just completed my 3rd stay here in the past 2 months. SPG Plat recognition pretty standard: 500 points, welcome gift or breakfast and no special room upgrades. You'll get your room key in the 'you are upgraded' sleeve, but upgrades are pretty limited to harbour view rooms - see the attached images for the upgraded room that I've got yesterday.
The first two times there was a welcome letter from the duty manager in the room.

Some random comments:

Renovations

Airport shuttle

Restaurant
At least your room had a view! I just finished my first stay here, and was assigned a room that faced the Apollohal, and overlooked some AC units.

As an SPG Gold, I was only provided with the 250 points as welcome gift, but was not given any room upgrade.

Seems like different rooms are painted differently. Here was mine:

Old May 30, 2017, 11:26 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
The construction is still ongoing. I was told it will probably be another two weeks. The lobby area really is like a maze.

The hotel shuttle only costs to the airport according to the web page. From the airport it is free. However it runs only during a brief period in the morning and then in the evening again. I am not sure how usable it is for most people.

As a reference, my Uber Black ride cost 37 EUR. A regular Uber would have been about 10-12 EUR less.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by travelling_p
However, shower was a nightmare! After no more than 40 seconds, shower flooded the whole bathroom. I was not even able to wash my hair. Complete disaster.
Just checked out of the hotel after a three night stay. We rather enjoyed the location of the hotel. Close enough to the things that interested us, but had a sleepy-location feel (quiet and slow at night).

Agree with the comment about the bathroom, absolutely terrible design. The shower head in installed on the wrong wall and the glass meant to keep water in the tub, is absolutely not up to the job. One of the most terrible designs I've seen.

Construction remains ongoing although I did not hear anything from our first floor room. Lots of construction on going for the meeting room space. I don't think they are done with all the rooms (although ours seems to have been refreshed).

IMO, paid rate were quite reasonable. So much so that I wished I had paid cash (but used points regardless).

I'd return.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question Recommendations?

Staying at the Apollo in two weeks.
1) Do you think renovations will be completed?
2) Any recommendations for restaurants within walking distance from the hotel?
3) Any interesting sights to see or places to go within walking distance to the hotel?
4) Nearby place to get GOOD stroopwaffels?
5) any other recommendations in the area?
6) How did you find the hotel restaurant (breakfast and/or dinner)?

Originally Posted by edbyu
Just checked out of the hotel after a three night stay. We rather enjoyed the location of the hotel. Close enough to the things that interested us, but had a sleepy-location feel (quiet and slow at night).

Agree with the comment about the bathroom, absolutely terrible design. The shower head in installed on the wrong wall and the glass meant to keep water in the tub, is absolutely not up to the job. One of the most terrible designs I've seen.

Construction remains ongoing although I did not hear anything from our first floor room. Lots of construction on going for the meeting room space. I don't think they are done with all the rooms (although ours seems to have been refreshed).

IMO, paid rate were quite reasonable. So much so that I wished I had paid cash (but used points regardless).

I'd return.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by marlee1421
3) Any interesting sights to see or places to go within walking distance to the hotel?
1) Doubt it. But I'm not the project manger for the renovation work!
2) Didn't eat close to the hotel.
3) This is in a quiet neighborhood. So if local life is your thing, you are in for a great time. Everything is but a short tram ride away (or a not-very-far walk).
4) Grocery store.
5) I'd suggest getting an I AM AMSTERDAM card.
6) Breakfast felt fairly high quality, but not tons of options.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:13 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

I think the construction in the lobby area could feasibly be completed next week. However, I doubt the construction along the corridor to the restaurant will be completed before the end of the month.

On an unrelated note, all plats should be aware that you get a 10% F&B discount at this hotel. They should supposedly automatically give you the credit at check out. However, I had to ask for it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by marlee1421
1. Hard to tell. The lobby, and certain rooms were still boarded up when I visited a couple weeks ago.

2. There are quite a bit of restaurants in De Pijp, which is about 15-20 mins walking distance from the hotel. I ate at The Seafood Bar there; the seafood was fresh. I had breakfast at Bakers & Roasters, and liked the banana nut bread French toast. Le Pain Quotidien, which I think is a chain, had some delicious croissants.

3. The area around the hotel felt quite residential to me. You may grab a seat behind the hotel restaurant (i.e. behind the Harbor Club) during sunset if the weather allows. It faces the canal, and made a nice area for reading a book (or drinking a beer!). For everything else, you would probably need to head into town. Also, if the weather permits, walk around Vondelpark.

6. Google Maps, and Yelp worked fine for me for locating restaurants, cafes, and grocery stores. Google's Project Fi worked well in Amsterdam.

Side note: SPG Craving works at the Harbor Club. SPG members get 10% off.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:18 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Since the shuttle bus has a restricted schedule, I thought it might be interesting for others to post it here:

Weekdays
To Airport - 07:30, 08:30, 9:30, 16:15, 17:15, 18:15
From Airport - 08:00, 09:00, 10:00, 16:45, 17:45, 18:45

Weekends and National Holidays
To Airport - 10:45, 11:30, 12:15, 13:00, 13:45, 15:00, 15:45, 16:30, 17:15
From Airport - 11:15, 12:00, 12:45, 13:30, 14:15, 15:30, 16:15, 17:00, 17:45

The travel time is 30 minutes in each direction. The transfer to the airport should be reserved and costs 7 EUR. The transfer back to the hotel is free, on a first come first served basis and departs from platform A9 at the airport opposite the Sheraton.

The concierge informed me that the service is mostly
used by tourists which is why there are more weekend buses.

Last edited by cbellero; Jun 12, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.