Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will the Book of Mormon be placed in Marriott-acquired Starwood hotels ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the Book of Mormon be placed in Marriott-acquired Starwood hotels ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Becuase the material in the drawer is not innocuous, it's creepy and offensive.

Why go to the trouble? They supposedly have a profile of my preferences and every once in a while someone reads it and actually honors them. I'm just one person, but excercising my right to tell a big corporation like Marriott that I don't like religous materials in a hotel room.
1+ religion will always be a sensitive subject. Don't force it on people. The Marriott way is wrong and not called for.
Keep your books but in my room.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Your points were valid until you mentioned tolerance.

Tolerance is, of course, a two way street. People shouldn't ask for tolerance of their beliefs if they don't want to give it to others with whom they disagree.

Originally Posted by frenchft
Why all the posts with evidence (articles etc) are systematically merge inside another post???
Our mods have a tough job keeping this combined forum manageable but are doing a great job!

We don't need multiple threads on the same issues so they combine them. Right now that's tough since so many threads are talking about different aspects of integration problems.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Tolerance is, of course, a two way street. People shouldn't ask for tolerance of their beliefs if they don't want to give it to others with whom they disagree.
I have enormous tolerance for people choosing to practice their chosen faith... [text removed].

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 26, 2018 at 7:56 pm Reason: Personal attacks against FT rules.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Let's make sure we keep the discussion focused on Marriott putting Books of Mormon in the hotel. There is a whole other forum just for general religion comments/questions.

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Even though I have pretty strong feelings on the topic, I'm going to avoid opining on this in general (as requested by the mods), and simply provide this confirmation:

I stayed at the Sheraton Universal this past weekend, and there was, in fact, a BoM in the nightstand drawer.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:00 pm

Re: Book of Mormon in Starwood hotels.....I dont know of one that could handle a Broadway musical
Rifleman69 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by golfer727272
Re: Book of Mormon in Starwood hotels.....I dont know of one that could handle a Broadway musical
(Well there is the Marriott Marquis on Times Square which actually has a theater)

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Who cares really? To each their own.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Excellent sleep aid.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Saw a Book of Mormon (interestingly no other bible - thought they put both?) in an Aloft yesterday. Really surprised they're getting added to Aloft brand hotels. I would have thought they would be exempted like Marriott does with Moxy.

Talk about tone deaf, especially given that standard Aloft configurations only have one or two drawers to begin with. If you want to put your clothes away you literally have to put your clothes over the book (but I guess us Millennials don't do that anyways?). I threw it out to make room.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Hold the phone! One of the eldest elders has declared a fatwa on the use of the word “Mormon:”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.e8b3563a4c31

Once this gets settled, will Marriott have to order another 300,000 books with a new title? So many critical priorities to accomplish in the evisceration of Starwood.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:07 pm

Bibles in Starwood Properties Now?

I stayed at the Westin Snowmass in mid December, and besides having a broken elevator for the entire 5 night stay, I noticed that the room we were in had a bible in the drawer in the night stand next to the bed. I was wondering if the bible is there because of Marriott ownership now or just religious zealotry on behalf of the hotel owner (or management company). Thoughts?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Theres always been a bible. In the Middle East, theres a Koran etc.

the only change with Marriott buying SPG is that there is now a Book of Mormon also in most hotels.

it's a book. In a drawer. Unclear how that amounts to religious zealotry.
sinfonia likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Uhhh pretty much every hotel/motel room in the US has a bible in a drawer somewhere. The Marriott family are LDS so you get a free copy of the BoM.

As a Jewish I simply ignore them.
C17PSGR and sinfonia like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by MGJ2727
I stayed at the Westin Snowmass in mid December, and besides having a broken elevator for the entire 5 night stay, I noticed that the room we were in had a bible in the drawer in the night stand next to the bed. I was wondering if the bible is there because of Marriott ownership now or just religious zealotry on behalf of the hotel owner (or management company). Thoughts?
You mean you've NEVER seen a Gideon Bible in a hotel room before this??? (Gideons is the name of the religious organization that places Bibles in hotel rooms. https://www.gideons.org/ )

You either haven't stayed at many U.S. hotels, or you've just not searched the drawers before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.