Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will the Book of Mormon be placed in Marriott-acquired Starwood hotels ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the Book of Mormon be placed in Marriott-acquired Starwood hotels ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ehallison
Why would you ask the hotel to go to this trouble? Why not just ignore the book(s) in the drawer?
Becuase the material in the drawer is not innocuous, it's creepy and offensive.

Why go to the trouble? They supposedly have a profile of my preferences and every once in a while someone reads it and actually honors them. I'm just one person, but excercising my right to tell a big corporation like Marriott that I don't like religous materials in a hotel room.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I appreciate that itsaboutthejourney wants to let Marriott know he doesn't want religious materials in his room, as it's important to him. Religious books such as Bible, Mormon, etc, don't bother me, as I just toss my clothes over them in the drawer. I literally don't give a nanosecond of a thought to them.

Cheers.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Not everything in one's life can be personalized and individualized. If you don't like the literature, ignore it. If it bothers you, put it in a laundry bag.
kennycrudup and roubaolic like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Talking

Originally Posted by dayone
Not everything in one's life can be personalized and individualized. If you don't like the literature, ignore it. If it bothers you, put it in a laundry bag.
On some occasions, I have even took an unused condom (still in it's original packaging) and slipped it into the bible between the pages that mention forbidden activities.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Just did the same.

This is another reason Marriott is tone-deaf and I believe their misjudgements will not earn them the same loyalty SPG enjoyed from it's customers.
great! And this helps how again?

as a agnostic traveler, this is stupid. How exactly does this affect your day to day? (Other than being as intolerant as the other side is perceived to be)

How exactly does the existence of a book in a drawer hurt you? Does it bite?
C17PSGR, kennycrudup and porkie like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP is displaying excessive perseverance. It's a book, not a recently used sex toy. It's not 'Mein Kampf.'
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I don't care about this at all.
Till I don't have to be part of the "cult" to stay in their hotels, I'm ok.

What I care is about smoking in overseas properties, I hope they will not change the policy.

Last edited by frenchft; Aug 26, 2018 at 7:50 am
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
On one hand I think the fact they prioritize this is stupid. On the other hand I'm slightly happy that they are not one of those liberal companies virtue signalling all day for "diversity" and "inclusion".

I myself don't practice any religion and actually think any religion is just a stupid cult. The only religion I practice is science. But I'm not offended by having such a book in a hotel room. Always ignored them.

By the way, data point, just checked into an Element in New York, no such book.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by daniellam
On some occasions, I have even took an unused condom (still in it's original packaging) and slipped it into the bible between the pages that mention forbidden activities.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Antarius
great! And this helps how again? as a agnostic traveler, this is stupid. How exactly does this affect your day to day? (Other than being as intolerant as the other side is perceived to be)
Your points were valid until you mentioned tolerance. This is not a product cataloge or pithy novel Marriott is placing, it's a book that indeed teaches intolerance and perpetuates stigma and rejection if you don't follow its teachings. The growing number of suicides among LDS youth is shocking. Sure I can keep the nightstand drawer closed and not read the book of Mormon, but it bothers me that Marriott is even in a small way perpetuating a type of intolerance that leads to non-inclusion and even suicide. If Marriott really cared, there would be a book next to the regular Bible and BoM about human diversity and weirdness.

In the meantime, call me intolerant, I can take it. The way the LDS messes up people's minds means a lot more to me than points and status.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Your points were valid until you mentioned tolerance. This is not a product cataloge or pithy novel Marriott is placing, it's a book that indeed teaches intolerance and perpetuates stigma and rejection if you don't follow its teachings. The growing number of suicides among LDS youth is shocking. Sure I can keep the nightstand drawer closed and not read the book of Mormon, but it bothers me that Marriott is even in a small way perpetuating a type of intolerance that leads to non-inclusion and even suicide. If Marriott really cared, there would be a book next to the regular Bible and BoM about human diversity and weirdness.

In the meantime, call me intolerant, I can take it. The way the LDS messes up people's minds means a lot more to me than points and status.
Again, this is YOUR viewpoint. Which you are free to express similar to how the Mormon Marriots leave a book that expresses their viewpoint.

You can vote with your feet/wallet and choose to not stay at these properties. I am sure there are others who complain about the Bible being in their rooms or the Quran. The thing is, these are just books in a drawer much like there is a TV with lots of content that you may like or find objectionable. No one is forcing it on you.

I still do not understand how a Book or Mormon affects you at all. Most people probably don't touch it or open it. I assume some members of the Church of LDS may read it. A fraction of people may read it for the first time... but it isn't like the book of Mormon is a secret. They could do this anywhere.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Count me as someone who is not offended by having a Book of Mormon or Holy Bible in a drawer. I would be offended if a hotel tried to impose religious beliefs on me or tried to justify discriminatory policies as "religious freedom." Fortunately, that's not the case.

One of the things I respect about the Marriott family is that they understand the difference between their own own religious practices and how Marriott International runs its business. The Human Rights Campaign has long given Marriott high marks. Ten years ago, Marriott opposed California's Proposition 8, while the LDS church supported it. And, yes, I appreciate a good cup of coffee in the morning and glass of wine in the evening at hotels, even though I know Mr. Marriott will not drink such beverages.

There are other companies that we do not patronize because of unjust policies under the claim of "religious freedom."

Last edited by Horace; Aug 26, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.

Of all the issues, you spent time and energy bringing this up shows that YOU are the one that has an issue. Especially when you like a post that talks about placing a condom in the Book of Mormon. Really?

I'm not LDS nor will I ever be. But, I think it is a positive that Marriott has religious roots, which are part of their core philosophy, even though I don't follow that religion. We can argue whether they have strayed from that philosophy, but I believe it has helped them immensely to go from a small mom and pop hot shop to a mega hotel chain. If you don't like it, maybe you should place your money and stays elsewhere rather than soil yourself in having to stay in a property that dares to have LDS and Christian materials in their hotel rooms.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Marriot priority : 300000 books of Mormons (AP)

when I see the problems we all face and how poor is the support and ETA and read this I really miss SPG.

https://apnews.com/a81def375dba4b7eb...Book-of-Mormon
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:49 pm

Why all the posts with evidence (articles etc) are systematically merge inside another post???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.