Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
After evaluating all the Marriott/SPG options in Maui I used Airbnb. I have over 400K MR points, but the redemption values suck. Just returned today and it was amazing.
Gas at Costco (next to the Airport Courtyard) was $0.70/gallon cheaper than the rest of the island.
You think redemption stinks now? Wait until after Aug 1. Doesn't redemption rate jump to 70k per night?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k
meant to reply directly... please delete
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by levman

I'm a little late to this party ... But we have a 7 night stay planned for August and I'm going to place an order with Amazon to ship a box of staples like cereal, plastic ware, paper bowls and cups, and most importantly a cheap electric kettle and plunge pot which I'll leave behind when I check out. Then pick up milk, ground coffee, and fresh fruit on our way to the property. I don't know that this will save us a ton of money, but I like my fresh brewed tea in the mornings (and coffee for my wife, who does not like nespresso) and much prefer being able to hang out on our own balcony enjoying a leisurely cuppa and breakfast. I'm sure we'll go out for a few breakfasts too.

We did something similar at the Hilton resort on the big island some years ago, except we dragged all that stuff in our luggage. This time, I plan on traveling light with just a roll aboard, hence the Amazon shipment.

EDIT: I haven't called the hotel yet to make sure they don't have a fee for deliveries. I'm only thinking about this now because I had a small package delivered to a Vegas hotel last week; at that property, they had a fedex office that processed all packages and charged a weight based fee for package delivery.
Good idea! I'll be there in August as well - we stayed last Aug and it was great (and had an upgrade on points / gold). The market on resort is "reasonable" for things like milk, water... beer. We did breakfast at Whale's Tale on our walk to the beach... Fantastic Acai bowls and other bites like egg sandwiches.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo
You think redemption stinks now? Wait until after Aug 1. Doesn't redemption rate jump to 70k per night?
Is there a list of hotels/resorts which will cost more after 8/1?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:16 am

We have a party of 6 including 3 children. Does the resort make any sort of accommodations in case we want to rent a cabana for the day? Seems to be very restrictive - 2 or 4 persons per cabana. We won't be 6 the entire time, just looking for a base as kids and adults go off to pool, beach, etc.

Also, does the hotel provide snorkel equipment or do we need to rent?

Last edited by gumercindo; Jun 25, 2018 at 11:14 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
if one of the included activities (such as intro to scuba or photo session) was not available during the stay because they were booked out (due to high season high occupancy), would it be easy to get the resort fees waived ?
When we visited earlier this year, I was resigned to paying the resort fees but didn't want to pay the parking fees. I noticed at some times the parking gate was left up.

Our 2nd to last night we discovered the benefit of the hotel having a shuttle service in a large Escalade (they fit as many groups of guests into it as they can). Our last night, a 10 minute quote from them for a pickup took over an hour. That was super annoying and I let them know about it.

After a brief follow up I thought they would remove 1 days resort fee. They actually removed them for the whole stay. I didn't push for this as a solution, just mentioned how the rest of the service was so refined, this instance was an example of the opposite end of the service spectrum.

Our use of the resort fee benefits entailed the water bottle benefit, the mai tais, two shuttle rides (one which was severely delayed), and bike rentals for 2 (once). Never even tried for the photo package. They were not strict about the number of water bottles and we ended up leaving some behind that we didn't drink. They use a local Hawaiian water which we enjoyed.

Originally Posted by N1Flyer
Good luck with that. You get two Mai Tai coupons and a single rental for only two bikes for one hour over the entire length of your stay. Extra bicycles are $25/hour.
We kept our bikes for about 2 hours. Were told upfront the 1 hour was not strictly enforced. The resort seemed busy but lots of bikes were available. They seemed to apply a Hawaiian, relaxed sense of "1 hour."

And I preferred redeeming the mai tais at the Whale Bar and not the bar off the infinity pool.

Originally Posted by carlitos
Resort. Actually, when you get there, it is really the Wailea Beach Hotel, a Marriott Resort property. Everything is about the Wailea Beach Hotel and less about the Marriott Brand. It could actually be changed to a Soft Brand by Marriott and no one would notice.
Very true. I wish all Marriott's were like this one, resort or not.

Great ocean suite upgrade; excellent service and attention to detail by all staff members; really enjoyed the resort grounds including the game room near the Starbucks and the water slides; good food with a few different options

We parked next to the Fairmont (on the street) where parking was free. The hotel shuttle can drive you over there and drop you off, but it's also a nice walk. I highly recommend this property, and find all the resort and parking fees as the only detractor (and hope they offer breakfast soon).

If parking on site it's definitely worth the upcharge for the valet. They have multiple valets working and they are all dedicated and speedy. The valet employees would also happily welcome guests walking back onto the property, and one of the employees in particular also made concierge-like suggestions. The employees here all seemed genuinely friendly and happy. If you want to feel like you're staying in HI on an island, stay here. The RI is marginally cheaper and new but it could be a new RI almost anywhere.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:13 am

Hello all! Have a family of 6 (including a 2 year old) and want to sign up for the on-prem Luau for our upcoming stay in August. Which night of the week is most recommended?

Also, I'm debating whether or not to book one of the pool cabanas one day. Are pool chairs that difficult to get?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:24 am

Hello all! Have a family of 6 (including a 2 year old) and want to sign up for the on-prem Luau for our upcoming stay in August. Which night of the week is most recommended?

Also, I'm debating whether or not to book one of the pool cabanas one day. Are pool chairs that difficult to get?
We had a 4 year old and a 2 year old and I think we booked the Tues night Luau and that worked pretty well.

The pool chairs were pretty easy to get when we went in Feb/Mar. You can also get chairs at the beach. We didn't bother renting the pool cabanas.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

I wouldn't book a cabana. There were nice seating areas that families who ordered food had taken up...even though there was a 30 minute limit for unoccupied chairs.

The servers wouldn't enforce the 30 minute rule (as the people were leaving them tips). Mentioning this to the pool area manager got us a cabana comped...not for the whole day...just to enjoy our drinks. The cabanas were otherwise empty IME.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

Just stayed here and I would skip the Cabanas as they are seriously pricey ($250-400), although everything here is pricey. It wasn't much of a surprise to see many empty cabanas at that price. Getting a chair didn't seem that difficult, although getting 6 together might be asking too much. We were always able to find at least 2 (and usually 3), which wasn't a problem as our third (7 year old) never wanted to get out of the water. The 30 minute rule was posted, but didn't seem to be enforced. This was all by the pool with the waterslides. The few times I walked by the pool by Kapa, it didn't seem that crowded there either. The chairs by the adults only pool did seem pretty full during the middle of the day, but several open most other times.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Just stayed here and I would skip the Cabanas as they are seriously pricey ($250-400), although everything here is pricey. It wasn't much of a surprise to see many empty cabanas at that price. Getting a chair didn't seem that difficult, although getting 6 together might be asking too much. We were always able to find at least 2 (and usually 3), which wasn't a problem as our third (7 year old) never wanted to get out of the water. The 30 minute rule was posted, but didn't seem to be enforced. This was all by the pool with the waterslides. The few times I walked by the pool by Kapa, it didn't seem that crowded there either. The chairs by the adults only pool did seem pretty full during the middle of the day, but several open most other times.
Ditto on the cabanas. We were there last November (over Thanksgiving) and we didn't have much trouble getting chairs at the kid-friendly pool. We did go out and drop towels on a couple chairs 30 minutes or-so before we were ready to spend time at the pool. I didn't see much enforcement of the 30 minute rule as people were definitely putting towels on chairs more than 30 minutes before they were at the pool. The pool was busiest from 10 am-2:00 as you might expect. The regular pools by Kapa usually had at least a few chairs available throughout the day. If you have multiple kids, you may find that you really only need a couple chairs to share. Our son pretty much spent the entire time in the pool with the slides.

If you do want a Cabana, it seemed that there were plenty of them open that you could book that day. I don't see any reason to book one ahead of time. IIRC, the cabanas came with a food/beverage credit if you rented them.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
Ditto on the cabanas. We were there last November (over Thanksgiving) and we didn't have much trouble getting chairs at the kid-friendly pool. We did go out and drop towels on a couple chairs 30 minutes or-so before we were ready to spend time at the pool. I didn't see much enforcement of the 30 minute rule as people were definitely putting towels on chairs more than 30 minutes before they were at the pool. The pool was busiest from 10 am-2:00 as you might expect. The regular pools by Kapa usually had at least a few chairs available throughout the day. If you have multiple kids, you may find that you really only need a couple chairs to share. Our son pretty much spent the entire time in the pool with the slides.

If you do want a Cabana, it seemed that there were plenty of them open that you could book that day. I don't see any reason to book one ahead of time. IIRC, the cabanas came with a food/beverage credit if you rented them.
Yea skip on the cabanas, they are way too overpriced.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:38 am

Thanks all. I had another question about boogie boards - does the hotel have them on prem for lending out? Or is this something we should buy inexpensively once on the island? Same question goes for mask/snorkels. recommendations?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Thanks all. I had another question about boogie boards - does the hotel have them on prem for lending out? Or is this something we should buy inexpensively once on the island? Same question goes for mask/snorkels. recommendations?
Yes, they have both boogie boards and snorkel equipment, but they aren't giving them out for free. If I remember correctly, each was $25/day! I believe they also had some sort of package deal for multiple days that seemed a little more reasonable, but we weren't there long enough to take advantage, so I am not sure of the terms. If you call the hotel, they can transfer you out to the activities hut for pricing info. The only thing we found for free here were towels and chairs.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Just booked a 7-day stay at Wailea Beach Resort. Does Gold get free breakfast? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.