Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I've eaten in Tokyo restaurants over five thousand times. On staycations I often prefer something simple within a stone's throw of my room. Feel free to keep judging me.
I thought staycation means staying at home or making day trips that doesn't require overnight accommodations. If you're travelling to another city that needs overnight accommodations, it's not a staycation but rather a vacation.

I have eaten in restaurants somewhere in the world thousands of times, I too can see myself one day getting tired of eating in restaurants and probably do a staycation forever in a coffin inside a graveyard.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I thought staycation means staying at home or making day trips that doesn't require overnight accommodations. If you're travelling to another city that needs overnight accommodations, it's not a staycation but rather a vacation.
Merriam-Webster is ready to assist you in times of confusion.

Examples of staycation in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web
The celebration begins July 13 with a gala at the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk Hotel for the 28 families who will be getting a weekend staycation and all kinds of goodies, thanks to 16 hotels and 16 restaurants. — Vincent T. Davis, ExpressNews.com, "San Antonio nonprofit lifts sick children’s spirits with Christmas in July," 6 July 2019 The IHG Rewards Club Premier is a great card for a staycation because of one benefit alone—the free night certificate, which can easily cover the $89 annual fee of the card. — Caroline Lupini, USA TODAY, "The best travel credit cards of 2019," 5 June 2019
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:42 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
A staycation to me is when you treat yourself to a vacation in your home city. e.g. if I live in Tokyo but choose to treat myself to a stay at the Prince Gallery for the weekend.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
A staycation to me is when you treat yourself to a vacation in your home city. e.g. if I live in Tokyo but choose to treat myself to a stay at the Prince Gallery for the weekend.
I'd expand the area a bit (I'd call staying in Tokyo while living anywhere in the Kanto area as a staycation) but that's the basic idea.

Hyatt's loyalty program used to be so condusive to Tokyo staycations, with only 25 stays required and awesome Diamond benefits. But since that's long gone, I've concentrated on Prince's SEIBU PRINCE CLUB. Platinum status is nowhere near as good as Hyatt, but I can maintain it with less than 500000 yen of annual spend, including restaurant visits on non-stays. And I can gift Platinum status up to five times a year, so it makes for a nice mid-summer gift.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by hailstorm; Jul 27, 2019 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Can anyone comment on this neighborhood compared to the Ritz neighborhood? Obviously Rappongi is the fairly ritzy, expat hood. Does the neighborhood around PG have a more local, tokyo feel, or is it just completely dead?

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Can anyone comment on this neighborhood compared to the Ritz neighborhood? Obviously Rappongi is the fairly ritzy, expat hood. Does the neighborhood around PG have a more local, tokyo feel, or is it just completely dead?

Thanks!
Not dead by any means! Lots of activity, lots of residential and commercial buildings with restaurants and shops in the vicinity, like so many places in Tokyo. Hence the convergence of so many subway lines.
JK likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:35 am

Thanks!
I preferred the area around the PG over the Ritz for food and ambiance. The area around the Ritz is good if you're planning of doing high end shopping.
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does the neighborhood around PG have a more local, tokyo feel, or is it just completely dead?
Immediately around the hotel is dead. There's a moderately lively commercial district behind the Akasaka-Mitsuke metro station, with lots of restaurants and bars and a walking street. It's packed on Friday night. You can also walk to the Imperial Palace.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Both neighbourhoods are really good. In addition to the PG hotel restaurants (which are very pricy), the PG has ~3 floors of restaurants in the basement. There are streets of restaurants near the subway. Easy for a first time visitor to Tokyo. Even more fun when you know the area.

The (RC) Roppongi area also has many great restaurants. I enjoyed a fabulous 8-9 course menu in the shopping mall last time. I had the best steak of my life at a small local restaurant in Roppongi.

I used to stay at the PG, but will be staying at the RC from now on.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Not a great review, is this hotel going downhill? https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/pri...ry-collection/
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not a great review, is this hotel going downhill? https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/pri...ry-collection/
I's fully consistent with many reports in this thread, particularly with respect to breakfast.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

It’s a bit of a schizophrenic report that minimizes the excellent hard product and otherwise amazing service and F&B while spending a lot of time focused on a bad breakfast experience. It does sound like a bad breakfast experience, and many others have reported challenges at breakfast.

It isn’t nearly as bad as when you see what they had to say about the wildly overrated Park Hyatt Tokyo:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/park-hyatt-tokyo/
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by bhrubin

It’s a bit of a schizophrenic report that minimizes the excellent hard product and otherwise amazing service and F&B while spending a lot of time focused on a bad breakfast experience. It does sound like a bad breakfast experience, and many others have reported challenges at breakfast.

It isn’t nearly as bad as when you see what they had to say about the wildly overrated Park Hyatt Tokyo:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/park-hyatt-tokyo/
Not to go crazy OT, but I wonder what you mean by that? You seem not to like the PH, the reviewer seems not to like the PH...so what's the issue? We loved both the PH and the PG, for what it's worth.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Not to go crazy OT, but I wonder what you mean by that? You seem not to like the PH, the reviewer seems not to like the PH...so what's the issue? We loved both the PH and the PG, for what it's worth.
The Points Guy review of the Prince Gallery and Park Hyatt aren’t quite so consistent...which is a hallmark issue for those blogger reviews. That was the point I was trying to make. The Prince Gallery review was overall positive except for the details of the poor breakfast one morning...and yet its overall summary minimized all the positives because of the one bad breakfast. The Park Hyatt review was overall negative because overall most of the details of the stay weren’t as impressive.

Because the PH isn’t as impressive as the PG as it turns out. It isn’t even close to us.

I’m glad you enjoyed both. But we found the PH largely living on borrowed time and glory. The hard product was very dated. The furnishings were cheap and often banged up. The location is less desirable even than that of the oft-complained about PG location. The PH concierge wasn’t nearly as capable as that of the PG.

The PG hard product to us was overwhelmingly better than any other Tokyo hotel besides the Aman. It wasn’t even close. The concierge at the PG blows away the concierge at almost every other 5* hotel in Tokyo—getting us into many top restaurants that the other concierges couldn’t even book (that includes the Aman, the MO, the Pen, and the PH). The overall service was vastly better for us at the PG than almost anywhere else, though the service was just as good at the MO and the Aman. The PH service was much more formulaic and less friendly, though there was overall better English speaking staff at the PH than the PG. That language issue actually was a big reason for us having a n issue with breakfast at the PG, but the overall breakfast was just as delicious to us as that at the PH. And the Club lounge breakfast at the PG avoided all of the restaurant breakfasts language issues and was just as good again.

We’d gladly return to the PG. We wouldn’t bother again with the PH.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Yeah the breakfast experience is an ongoing issue since launch in this thread and other blog reviews. It's a shame it is like this and nothing is improving.
I think it's better to simply stay here and grab a sandwich at 7-11 and skip the breakfast completely, unless you are getting breakfast here for free of course. Free breakfast is stupid to say no to.

Do not pay for breakfast here as you will be disappointed and receive a 2-3 star is experience. Apart from breakfast and the restaurants everything else is 5 star excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.