Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Thanks! 50% discount on suites is pretty insane! What's the catch? Sounds almost too good to be true.

Don't believe you can double dip. It's been discussed on this thread before. (I salivate to think of a half price suite credited to Marriott.)
Well I don't think there's any way to book the birthday suite online, so you'll have to call in and ask about that. Also the suites it can be used for may be limited; the only place I've ever used it was at The Prince Karuizawa Villa, and it could only be used on their biggest villa (still saved us over 100000 yen a night)

If you book through Marriott, then the points should go to Marriott automatically. The Prince club actually requires the physical card; they scan the card during checkout payment. So if you just give them the card during payment, they might actually give you those points as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I really don't understand why concierge is such a big deal to people? I live in hotels almost full time (>300 nights a year now) and I can count the times I've used a concierge for anything I couldn't easily do myself probably on one hand, maybe even zero. (Basically only to make reservations in places that speak a foreign language — not that I wouldn't have figured it out without their help)
If I paid for the service then I expect it to be utilized. I don't speak Japanese and I don't want to bother my friends to do so.

Plus, there are many Japanese restaurants which require the hotel to do the reservation for you and they won't take any other reservation channel. Therefore, the hotel concierge becomes an important factor when staying in Japan. This hotel simply lacks in that department and it shouldn't even be called a 5-star hotel in Tokyo simply because the hotel can't secure any decent restaurant bookings when given enough heads up plus they don't respond to e-mails.

It's not acceptable to always come back with our restaurant Souten is also a very good restaurant that you can make a reservation at when all else fails. It's not just me, I have numerous friends who have stayed at this property and failed to obtain those famous restaurant reservations.

Also, their reservation policy is very robotic. If I am just asking them to reserve a non-famous around the corner restaurant, they expect no changes to those reservations and are not willing to talk to the restaurant in case errands do occur. They expect to charge your credit card for whatever the amount as long as you cannot make the initial reservation time (when you give them weeks ahead of notice that you may not make it and ask them to discuss with the restaurants). I mean you can be as non-flexible as you can get if the restaurant itself imposed the rules, but if the restaurant didn't, and there are things that do occur, why do we need the concierge if you are not trying to help your guest to adjust?
cur and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I really don't understand why concierge is such a big deal to people? I live in hotels almost full time (>300 nights a year now) and I can count the times I've used a concierge for anything I couldn't easily do myself probably on one hand, maybe even zero. (Basically only to make reservations in places that speak a foreign language — not that I wouldn't have figured it out without their help)
Concierge does come in handy in Japan for some of us. This is a Luxury Collection hotel and the concierge should be able to perform effectively gor those of us who need them.
cur and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
If I paid for the service then I expect it to be utilized. I don't speak Japanese and I don't want to bother my friends to do so.

Plus, there are many Japanese restaurants which require the hotel to do the reservation for you and they won't take any other reservation channel. Therefore, the hotel concierge becomes an important factor when staying in Japan. This hotel simply lacks in that department and it shouldn't even be called a 5-star hotel in Tokyo simply because the hotel can't secure any decent restaurant bookings when given enough heads up plus they don't respond to e-mails.
My recent experience with the concierge has been pretty good. A little slow to respond at first, but have picked up the pace as my reservation draws nearer. I only had one day for a nice sushi restaurant reservation and they successfully grabbed a hard-to-get lunch spot.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by dmjaffe
My recent experience with the concierge has been pretty good. A little slow to respond at first, but have picked up the pace as my reservation draws nearer. I only had one day for a nice sushi restaurant reservation and they successfully grabbed a hard-to-get lunch spot.
I haven't stayed at this property since last August and have not used their concierge since last Feb. so maybe they have improved at this department.

Good to know they are getting their acts up.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:39 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Can someone post the concierge email? And for those with successful reservations can you list the restaurants they were able to secure?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:46 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
Can someone post the concierge email? And for those with successful reservations can you list the restaurants they were able to secure?
The concierge email address as of May 2018 was:

[email protected]

The concierge team there successfully got us bookings at 3* Yoshitake for dinner, 2* Narisawa for dinner, and 2* Sawada for lunch (and that last less than a week out!). They were very helpful in sharing where they could help and where they couldn’t and in suggesting other restaurant options where they could help and still recommended.

Many 5 star hotels in Tokyo are limited in where they can and can’t book for guests due to previous guests no-shows or angering a chef. Aman Tokyo can’t book Yoshitake for this reason, apparently. But the Prince Gallery could and did.

The concierge team also booked us for an incredible private Samurai lesson with the actual choreographer and actor from the Kill Bill movies.

I suppose it’s worthwhile to again share my Expert Review from May 2018 which was posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum because of how amazing our stay was and how competitive this hotel experience was for us with the very best luxury hotels both in Tokyo and around the world. For the record, we visited most of the other top hotels in Tokyo, as well. The Prince Gallery is one at which we gladly will stay again.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Milwaukee likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 8, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Just completed a stay. We booked 2 rooms on points—one for my wife, daughter, and me, the other for my parents. I wasn’t expecting much in terms of Platinum treatment given the recent reviews, but we stuck with our plans to stay here because of the hard product.

We arrived around noon. My parents room was ready. Ours was not and we were given the choice of 3pm check-in to a standard room or 6pm check-in to a suite. We chose the suite. We were planning to be out for the afternoon so the wait wasn’t an issue. Rooms were beautiful. Suite was massive with a completely separate living room which was great for having the whole family together.

We were told that since we booked prior to Bonvoy, breakfast at Oasis was included for us, but that would not be the case for future stays. We were allowed to choose breakfast as our welcome amenity for my parents and were not charged for our daughter (age 7). This was a pleasant surprise. Breakfast was very good, though it didn’t wow us. On our first day, we were prompted to order eggs with our Buffett (no charge). On our second day, we were given a Bonvoy menu with a 10000 yen charge for eggs. Not sure which was supposed to happen. Service at breakfast was friendly, but spotty. It took 3 requests to get coffee one day.

We were given lounge access and offered to purchase it for my parents (12000 yen per night) and our daughter (3500 yen). We declined and never visited it ourselves. We did purchase some reasonably priced alcohol at the supermarket in the attached mall and had a nice happy hour in our suite each night.

As tourists, we enjoyed this location. Several subway lines easily reachable and many food options within a few minutes walk. We had stayed at the Westin in Ebisu on a previous trip and far preferred this property for both quality and location. We would definitely consider a stay here again.

Took the Limo bus to NRT at the end of our stay. Booked through hotel concierge and added to hotel bill. Scheduled trip was 2 hours, but I think it was less than 90 minutes with stops at 2 other hotels after us.

A Bonvoy observation...on both of our hotel stays in Japan, anytime a perk was unavailable, had previously been eliminated, or would be eliminated in the future, it was attributed to “Bonvoy.” I’m no marketing expert, but that seems like really crappy branding.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

@Sam P. Goodman, I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay.

So many people are focusing so much on changed elite benefits that it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that this is one of the nicest luxury hotel options in Tokyo. It’s an amazing hard product, second only to that of the extremely expensive Aman Tokyo. It’s a very nice Japanese service experience, comparable with those of the Aman, Park Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc; only the Mandarin Oriental likely has better overall service (and food/beverage). It’s also a very nice lounge—for those who now wish to pay for that.

It’s a luxury hotel. Some people continue to ignore that.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
We were told that since we booked prior to Bonvoy, breakfast at Oasis was included for us, but that would not be the case for future stays. We were allowed to choose breakfast as our welcome amenity for my parents and were not charged for our daughter (age 7). This was a pleasant surprise. Breakfast was very good, though it didn’t wow us. On our first day, we were prompted to order eggs with our Buffett (no charge). On our second day, we were given a Bonvoy menu with a 10000 yen charge for eggs. Not sure which was supposed to happen.
Interesting about breakfast at Oasis part. Does it means future stays (both point and paid) wont have breakfast anymore?
But does it still include as options for elite welcome amenity?
(in lieu of points)

Agree with breakfast at Oasis ... good but not special.
The hotel itself are amazing though.
Although losing lounge access might make RC Tokyo more appealing for some.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Interesting about breakfast at Oasis part. Does it means future stays (both point and paid) wont have breakfast anymore?
Platinum breakfast benefit still is buffet with eggs in the restaurant. Not sure if it’s the welcome amenity or not. Either way, there still is Platinum breakfast benefit in restaurant.

Although losing lounge access might make RC Tokyo more appealing for some.
Losing lounge access makes the PG equivalent to the RC as far as lounge access goes. But PG still offers a Platinum breakfast benefit that isn’t offered at the RC. And Platinum guests at RC aren’t eligible for suite upgrades at all, only Titaniums and Ambassadors.

Also, the PG hard product is still superior to that of the RC. I don’t think the PG has much to worry about at all.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Platinum breakfast benefit still is buffet with eggs in the restaurant. Not sure if it’s the welcome amenity or not. Either way, there still is Platinum breakfast benefit in restaurant.

Losing lounge access makes the PG equivalent to the RC as far as lounge access goes. But PG still offers a Platinum breakfast benefit that isn’t offered at the RC. And Platinum guests at RC aren’t eligible for suite upgrades at all, only Titaniums and Ambassadors.

Also, the PG hard product is still superior to that of the RC. I don’t think the PG has much to worry about at all.
Second this.
If Elite benefits are what someone is looking for I don't think the RC is a good idea. You get nada Elite benefits in a RC property (small exceptions of course like one category room upgrade if you are nice). I think there was some miscommunications in this thread from hotel staff who showed a fellow FTer a very limited breakfast menu, however that seemed to have been reverted with full effect and for now Platinums and above are getting the full breakfast buffé as well made to order eggs.
A bonvoy that got rebonvoyed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:21 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

So to help properly set my son’s expectations — is Lounge Access something the hotel ever upgrades to or sells or??? He is booked in a Suite for 5 nights in September and has Titanium status.

And as a note, so far the concierge has been awesome and super responsive.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
So to help properly set my son’s expectations — is Lounge Access something the hotel ever upgrades to or sells or??? He is booked in a Suite for 5 nights in September and has Titanium status.

And as a note, so far the concierge has been awesome and super responsive.
I don’t think he should expect an upgrade will give him lounge access, even though it’s possible depending on circumstances. I expect he certainly can pay for lounge access. Just like at a RC.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:13 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what's so important about lounge access? Why is it a deciding factor?

Maybe I haven't stayed at the right hotels, but my recollection is that it's another place for breakfast and some other food during the day.
JK, bhrubin and Beltway2A like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.