Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sunmarina Resort, Okinawa, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Smoking Policy

All guest rooms are 100% non-smoking. Smoking is only allowed in public areas and restaurants. There is a smoking area available on each floor.

Ongoing Construction through November 2016

The resort is undergoing several construction projects, which are subject to change without notice:

• Through September 2016, a new restaurant wing and meeting rooms will be under construction.
  • Through October 2016, the Sheraton Fitness center, indoor pool, communal bath, private family bath, spa, beach bar, and wedding chapel will be under construction.
  • Through November 2016, a new wing with 45 guest rooms will be under construction.

Construction work is authorized from 10am to 6pm daily, and noise disturbances may occur from 11am to 5pm. The outdoor garden pool will be available as the new waterpark until October 31, 2016. Please contact the resort for more information.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat

Good job, SPG.

No info yet, just noticed this hotel on spg.com.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Guess Japan is finally getting some loving.

It's probably this Sunmarina Hotel.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:50 pm

Does anyone know what category it will be? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: aa, delta, hilton, spg, hyatt, club carl, marriott, accor,
the hyatt is new and very nice. the hilton there is also nice but loads of kids! the hilton is water front, the hyatt smack dab central cit location
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I like that Okinawa is finally getting some attention from SPG and Hyatt. Although I'm rooting for more resorts like the IC or RC, not city hotels in Naha.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
If it opens on time I'll likely check this one out
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by rrgg
Does anyone know what category it will be? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. Thanks.
It will be announced when reservations are open for booking.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
No bookings yet

Hotel still slated to open on June 1st, but not accepting bookings - seems a bit strange/delayed. I checked with SPG and they said "don't know" - any other intel out there? Trying to book a stay in late July.

Thanks
Old May 5, 2016, 6:41 am

Short Review Pre-SPG

I couldn't wait for them to re-badge as a Sheraton ... this is from March 2016.

The 200-room SunMarina Hotel is part of the Ishin Hotel Group, and will re-badge as a Sheraton later this year.

A. Location and Access
The hotel is located along the west coast of Okinawa Island, approximately halfway between the largest city Naha in the south where the airport is, and Nago city in the north.

Access is via road, the hotel is directly on coastal highway 58, about 60-90 mins from Naha City depending on traffic. A regular airport limo bus plys the route, and self-drive is an easy and affordable option.

There are three or four other hotels in the vicinity, and some small eateries and a convenience store within 5 mins walking distance.

Old May 5, 2016, 6:54 am

B. The Hotel

The hotel is an inverted V-shaped with a hollow interior and the rooms along the arms - this allows each room to have a balcony and a view of the beach/ocean.

There is no club lounge to speak of though there is a small area of the lobby which is partitioned away (and I mean literally partitioned) as a computer room. A portion of the central atrium serves as The Atrium where drinks and tea can be had.

The lobby has a large indoor pond, and this is the first time I've seen one that is salt-water!

A laundromat and ice and vending machines can be found on the second floor.

There's a spa which is currently occupying some of the rooms on the top floor - more on that later.

Old May 5, 2016, 6:58 am

C. Dining

There is only one restaurant which is a general purpose cafe serving all three meals. There's supposed to be a BBQ terrace but I didn't see it - presumably it's outside the restaurant.

Breakfast was included in my rate and was decent, though not spectacular. Typical Japanese-Western fare.

Old May 5, 2016, 7:05 am

D. The Rooms

We were assigned newly-renovated Deluxe Rooms on a high floor. Since these rooms have just been done up, I presume these will be what will be available when it is re-badged as a Sheraton. My impression is that these are the equivalent of a Club Room.

Typical Japanese hotel room, compact but complete. Styling also pretty standard Japanese fare - if you've been in one you'll recognise the tea set and water boiler. A bit lacking in electrical outlets and some inability to control the lighting to the desired level (all or none). HVAC was a bit poor - luckily it was spring and opening the balcony door produced the desired temperature.

Ample PJs and slippers and complimentary water. TV channels very lacking in english channels - hopefully this will come up to Sheraton standards. However, if you've not been in Japan before, the commercials can be hilarious and understood without knowing Japanese ... try it!

I can't remember how the Wi-fi was - it must have been reasonable I guess. Then again I had a roaming data plan...

Old May 5, 2016, 7:09 am

E. Bathroom

The bathroom looked like it had had the most work. No prefab compartments, this was a proper bathroom, with a bathtub, flexible shower hose and privacy blind and door. Toiletries are currently by POLA, a Japanese brand, in dispensers. I guess they will be switched to the in-house Sheraton brand later.

Last edited by travelswithmyself; May 5, 2016 at 7:34 am
Old May 5, 2016, 7:16 am

F. The Beach

The hotel has it's "own" beach, though I don't think it's a fully private beach. It has the usual water sports (see attached list, in Japanese). Sand is yellow softish sand which they groom daily. It is however, not the famous Okinawan star-sand - that you have to buy in the hotel gift shop. Very few loungers and those I saw were on the lawn just outside the beach. Perhaps all kept away because of the refurbishment.

Water is crystal clear and past the breakwaters there are actually quite a few tropical fish. But there are signs saying no snorkelling there. ???

The beach is enclosed by breakwaters and seawalls - pardon me if I'm using the wrong terms but I'm not a sailing person. At one end is the marina and as you can see from my photos it wasn't sunny. I want my money back :P

Last edited by travelswithmyself; May 5, 2016 at 7:38 am
Old May 5, 2016, 7:21 am

G. The Pool and Future Plans

This is the important bit. In Mar 2016 the pool area was being refurbished, to the extent that it was not usable. It will be a sports centre and a gym will be added.

At the opposite end of the hotel near the marina, they are constructing a new set of rooms, a spa, and conference facilities IIRC. I don't remember if a Club Lounge will be added but this is the logical place to put it. This is not expected to be ready till year-end. I suppose the higher-end rooms like suites etc will be there. Only time will tell if Plats get upgraded to the new wing... hotels have this habit of calling any new wing the "Tower" and denying upgrades to it unless you book rooms there.

Last edited by travelswithmyself; May 5, 2016 at 7:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.