Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Future St. Regis locations: when and where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future St. Regis locations: when and where?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:51 pm

Are there still plans for the St. Regis Dubai-The Palm?

I know St. Regis lost their contract to manage the one Dubai property.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Are there still plans for the St. Regis Dubai-The Palm?

I know St. Regis lost their contract to manage the one Dubai property.
Yes, the St Regis Dubai The Palm is expected to open in 2019. That property has a different owner than that of the former StR Dubai, W Dubai, etc...

https://fridaymagazine.ae/travel/hot...2019-1.2187219
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Yes, the St Regis Dubai The Palm is expected to open in 2019. That property has a different owner than that of the former StR Dubai, W Dubai, etc...

https://fridaymagazine.ae/travel/hot...2019-1.2187219
Thanks! I didn't see it listed on the hotel's site.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Thanks! I didn't see it listed on the hotel's site.
I never understand the ins and outs of what is and isn’t listed on the site. The StR Kanai and StR Los Cabos properties in Mexico are no longer showing, either. And Kanai was supposed to open in a month or so, Maybe something happened. And the newly signed StR Melbourne isn’t showing, either—probably too soon.
Shangri-La likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:40 pm

I never understand the ins and outs of what is and isn’t listed on the site. The StR Kanai and StR Los Cabos properties in Mexico are no longer showing, either. And Kanai was supposed to open in a month or so, Maybe something happened. And the newly signed StR Melbourne isn’t showing, either—probably too soon.
I think it is just the difference between between the Starwood and Marriott way of listing new properties, Starwood always listed a property as soon as it had been signed (which leads to many uncompleted hotels never actually materialising), maybe because of the lower count of properties it looked better to marketing this way!

Marriott.com does not even seem to list new properties in the pipeline until they are ready or almost ready to be signed off by corporate for meeting all the brand and safety standards. The Edition Abu Dhabi only showed on the website a couple of weeks before opening even although its been in media releases years before this.

The Ritz-Carlton Melbourne will be open before the StR but neither are listed.
Shangri-La and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:44 pm

That's why I was confused. They had the Palm property listed on their site (upcoming...) at one point, but I don't see it posted any longer.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:20 pm

The Palm Tower Dubai - Dubai Apartments with Beach Access @ Palm Jumeirah Dubai

Last edited by HHQX888; Nov 10, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agree with marriott here, vs listing 'vaporware' that are not under construction

if i may, interesting st regis history >

st regis houston and aspen were ritz carlton that became ITT luxury collection
(fairfax at embassy row was also ritz carlton that became ITT luxury collection)

sheraton acquire st regis new york, ITT acquire sheraton, starwood acquire ITT
marriott acquire ritz carlton and starwood
(westin philadelphia and le meridien seoul also opened as ritz carlton)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
There is some indefinite indication that a St. Regis could be in the planning for Fukuoka, Japan for a Dec. 2022 opening. Although the link below to a press release in English states that the "...proposed building a facility in the downtown location that will include a Ritz-Carlton hotel." (please note that the link states that "Ritz-Carlton Hotel Might Open.."), the Japanese text to the right of the building illustration states "5-Star Hotel - Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Marriott, etc.," which I would take to mean that Marriott is probably in discussion to open one of their hotels in the new property, whether it be an RC, St. Regis, or Marriott. The contradictory information in the press release is a little puzzling, but perhaps they have not yet decided which hotel to build. There does not appear to be any newer information available online about this.
Ritz-Carlton Hotel Might Open in Tenjin Fukuoka Now

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Jan 11, 2019 at 3:10 am Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before...but looks like St. Regis is planned for Aruba: https://www.azure-aruba.com/hotel-complex-in-aruba/
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Still hoping the biggest holes in the St Regis portfolio get filled sooner rather than later...

London
Paris
Tokyo
Los Angeles
Chicago
Boston
Sydney
Zurich
Delhi
Seoul
St. Petersburg
damon88 and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Zurich and Delhi are the two from that list which really shout out at me. In some of the other markets where the luxury hotel market is well developed over 100+ years I still think it would be difficult for a St Regis to enter - and actually risks tarnishing the brand. Park Hyatt in Paris proved it can be done, but is tricky.

I’d love to see more St Regises in cities a tier below these where I think they have a chance to create leading hotels in less established luxury markets. With the St Regis increasingly being a Chinese-focused brand out East, I could see one in Manila or Sydney being easy winners (edit: I missed your suggestion of Sydney first time around). In Europe where the brand is a mix of American, Chinese and randoms I could see interesting opportunities in places like Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Stockholm and Milan.

More interestingly, I wonder where there could be a market for St Regis resorts. I’m incredibly sad that Four Seasons took over Astir Palace in Athens which screamed St Regis at me, but how about a pleasant hotel in Nice, the Dalmatian Coast or to go really off-piste how about Northern Norway (Lofoten) or Finland...
damon88 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Zurich and Delhi are the two from that list which really shout out at me. In some of the other markets where the luxury hotel market is well developed over 100+ years I still think it would be difficult for a St Regis to enter - and actually risks tarnishing the brand. Park Hyatt in Paris proved it can be done, but is tricky.
London and Paris are definitely needed, but if StR is going to open there, they have to really go for the gold as they have done in Hong Kong. Because to open in Paris especially is essentially to go head to head with some of the best hotel in the world.

Incidentally, there is the San Regis Paris already, which is a nice hotel. I’ve always thought it would be nice as an StR, but it is perhaps not a property quite at the level that StR would want to position itself.

Paris is really not a “gap” per se, because Marriott does have Prince de Galles already. However London is a major gap in the Marriott portfolio at the high end. Yes, there are Edition and the Park Tower Knightsbridge, but neither is really top end. The city needs a StR, a R-C, or both would be even better.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For Paris they'd really need to aim at Palace Hotel recognition which means an excellent building has to become available, somehow. It does happen, but not often. Sort of similarly (but not the same), there is essentially no new build in London in the areas where you'd want a St Regis and outside of existing leading luxury hotels not a lot of other options. I thought the Admiralty Arch would have been PERFECT, but having missed out on that and Grosvenor Square I wonder how many suitable locations will open up in the next 10 years. I just don't see a St Regis in either city anytime soon, but if they do it had better be spectacular
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For Paris they'd really need to aim at Palace Hotel recognition which means an excellent building has to become available, somehow. It does happen, but not often. Sort of similarly (but not the same), there is essentially no new build in London in the areas where you'd want a St Regis and outside of existing leading luxury hotels not a lot of other options. I thought the Admiralty Arch would have been PERFECT, but having missed out on that and Grosvenor Square I wonder how many suitable locations will open up in the next 10 years. I just don't see a St Regis in either city anytime soon, but if they do it had better be spectacular
I have always wanted Ritz-Carlton to take over the management of the Ritz. It of course had a superb location, but it needs to be modernized, and to lose the stuffiness.

And it’s entirely true that if they are going to put up a flag in London, StR need to benchmark themselves against the best hotels in the city.

It probably will happen some day, as new hotels are being built and all other brands are already there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.