Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Future St. Regis locations: when and where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future St. Regis locations: when and where?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Perhaps we can stay on topic and refrain from judgments about St Regis and focus on the thread topic of where and when new St Regis properties may open. Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Perhaps we can stay on topic and refrain from judgments about St Regis and focus on the thread topic of where and when new St Regis properties may open. Thanks.
Yes. If there is a desire to discuss St. Regis butler service, there is an existing thread just waiting for additional discussion! FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Maybe a StR Honolulu?

Looks like the Sheraton Prince Kaiulani in Honolulu's Waikiki is finally going to start tear-down and redevelopment in 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...-kaiulani.html

There was a rumor when this redevelopment was initially considered in 2014 that a new St. Regis tower might be included in the project.

I wonder if Marriott and the Kyo-ya ownership would want a St. Regis Honolulu or a W Honolulu hotel tower in that location. Either way, this has potential.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 9, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bhrubin, werent a bunch of st regis developed by starwood? some of the middle eastern buyers have both st regis and luxury collection. will be interesting to see if they do new builds under those, or move any of their non starwood to these starwood.

certainly merger helps a lot. marriott is way ahead of ihg and hilton now. i wonder if merger had been announced earlier whether ex FS phl would have done luxury collection instead of curio. the management co also picked up ex FS RC chicago, one of 2 RC franchises.

china may see a bunch more st regis, possibly including multi-hotel developments, quite a few master plan type in china

re HNL interesting the new RC is all condo. kind of like RC vail being all fractional. both operate as hotels. speaking of which, st regis bal harbour seems to have been set up so that they could have sold rooms as condos. (some of the FL Ws did that for example)

if RC (doing 2nd tower) and announced MO condos sell well in HNL, that certainly leaves room for st regis with condos
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bhrubin, werent a bunch of st regis developed by starwood?
I know there were scrapped plans for StR properties in Buenos Aires, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Las Vegas. The Great Recession was largely responsible for most if not all of those projects never coming to fruition.

I know at one time there were plans for a StR in Honolulu, too, but zoning or other issues precluded it.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while they havent sold NY yet (not a good enough offer yet?) they sold a bunch after developing them. bal harbour probably sold shortly after selling out condos, SF sold recently. 99% sure re aspen. pretty sure others, cant recall offhand.

kyoyahotelsandresorts.com/portfolio.html interesting they still own a bunch of starwood hawaii

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by khabah
Qatari Diar owns a few high-profile assets around the world including the Nile Corniche project in Cairo, Egypt, which will house a St. Regis later this year. They also acquired the Eero Saarinen-designed US Embassy building on London's Grosvenor Square and will redevelop it into a new luxury hotel within the next five years after the Embassy moves to Nine Elms in a few months. My hunch is that they'll bring St. Regis to London in that location.
Unfortunately, no StR London, after all. Qatari Diar chose Rosewood.

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/rosewood-h...svenor-square/

Now I suppose we have to hold out hope for the Admiralty Arch Hotel to become the St. Regis London:

http://www.admiraltyarch.co.uk/hotel/

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 20, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:51 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Now I suppose we have to hold out hope for the Admiralty Arch Hotel to become the St. Regis London:

Oh what a load of pish. Rosewood? Come ON. Looks like they got burned since their Edinburgh project was viciously rejected by planning committees and conversationists so they must've upped their game for the Grosvenor Square project. Ugh.

Looks like things have changed with the Admiralty Arch - last thing I remember was that it was being turned into an Armani hotel. If that's off the table, this could be it for our vaunted St. Regis London...

khabah
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold

I have to say I am not surprised, I think St.R as a brand lacks the punch it needs for a project like Grosvenor-Square. It is quite the prestige location and site withing London and I just don't think ST.R carries the brand recognition / premium product to get its name on the asset with confidence it would attract the rates that they will be looking for with this property.

Rosewood may seem an odd choice but the smaller brand with a set of bespoke properties does fit the current market place more than the slightly at sea St.R brand!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Some
Just noticed the St. Regis Hong Kong is now showing up on the map view of Hong Kong hotels on the SPG website - opening date listed as January 2020.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hold your horses...but I’ve heard a rumor that Malayasian conglomerate, Mulpha, may have interest in St. Regis managing both its current InterContinental Sydney, currently undergoing a $200 million upgrade , and its recently closed and soon to be refurbished/rebuilt ultra-luxe Hayman Island (which ended its One&Only association a few months ago). That’d be a huge move by St. Regis and Marriott.

There’s also a rumor of a new luxury tower development in Melbourne being flagged eventually as a St. Regis.

No idea how likely these are to come to fruition...but wow, that would be fantastic if any of them came through.
EuropeanPete and controller1 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I have to say I am not surprised, I think St.R as a brand lacks the punch it needs for a project like Grosvenor-Square. It is quite the prestige location and site withing London and I just don't think ST.R carries the brand recognition / premium product to get its name on the asset with confidence it would attract the rates that they will be looking for with this property.

Rosewood may seem an odd choice but the smaller brand with a set of bespoke properties does fit the current market place more than the slightly at sea St.R brand!
Rosewood may have been a good fit for this property, but I do think St.R could do well in London. The Marriott portfolio is lacking a high end property in London, and since the Ritz-Carlton name is not an option in London St.R would be the logical choice. St.R enjoys great name recognition in Asia, and I think that has the potential to attract a lot of business from that growing high end market. A solid St.R property aimed at business travelers and the leisure market would undoubtedly attract engaged loyalty program members. London is an expensive city and a strategic location that is currently a glaring gap in the high end Marriott portfolio, which has nothing in London analogous to PdG in Paris, for example. Many business travelers would love an opportunity to earn points on their stays in London and avail of status benefits, while the possibility of award redemption would guarantee near full occupancy and drive demand from leisure guests who would combine paid nights with awards, pay for upgrades on award stays, and have significant F&B/incidental spend.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The St Regis would need to occupy a building with the right scale, grandeur and ideally history in London - a difficult circle to square.

The one place I think it could work amazingly is in Admiralty Arch overlooking Trafalgar Square. Apparently a “6 Star” Hotel is being developed - with some luck maybe it will fail and the Marriott could use all its buying power and move in with a St Regis.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:58 am

Slightly OT, but I think another obvious play for Marriott would be to try to acquire the Ritz. It’s a dusty old grande dame with huge potential if someone could only bring it into the 21st century. With a massive renovation and a more contemporary decor that still paid homage to the hotel’s bygone era of grandeur but at the same time were relevant to today’s traveller. Bring in a great chef, lose the unnecessary dress codes, and manage it as a Ritz-Carlton with warm, friendly service
I am surprised this hasn’t been done already, frankly. I don’t know anyone who would ever currently stay there, and surely whatever regular clientele it may have are probably octogenarians at this point. As far as I am concerned it is an underutilized piece of prime real estate that could once again be relevant with the right care.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:35 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The St Regis would need to occupy a building with the right scale, grandeur and ideally history in London - a difficult circle to square.

The one place I think it could work amazingly is in Admiralty Arch overlooking Trafalgar Square. Apparently a “6 Star” Hotel is being developed - with some luck maybe it will fail and the Marriott could use all its buying power and move in with a St Regis.
Agreed but it’ll have to be a no-go for the Admiralty Arch; it was supposed to be an Armani Hotel for the longest time before that went quiet... but at the end of 2017, they formally signed an agreement with Hilton to launch it as the Admiralty Arch Waldorf Astoria in 2022.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.