Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG-PLT, DL-PLT, AA-GLD (1 MM)
Loved the Westin. Great "Club Level" lounge. Be advised that you can't swim at the beach there though.

The restaurant at the Sheraton (Pithyhaus (sp?)) was AMAZING. Didn't stay there so can't comment on the rest of the hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
I want to refresh this thread once again. I had a Platinum Starwood rep advise me that they recommend the Westin strongly over the Sheraton. I then had another advise me that the Westin is under construction and extremely old and tired. Would greatly appreciate any insights on which of the two hotels is well maintained and takes better care of SPG Platinum members.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:06 am
Suspended

Personally, I think that the common areas of the Sheraton are nicer than the Westin in just about every way, although I can't speak for the rooms because I don't stay at either place since I own a place in San Jose del Cabo. But since I have spent a fair amount of time at both places - the place I go back to to spend time at is the Sheraton - The beach is more swimmable and more scenic, the pools are nicer, and the Restaurants are better.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Thanks DJGMaster1.
Would appreciate hearing from any SPG Plat members on how they were treated in the two hotels.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
Stay Away from the Sheraton

I just returned from a week in Los Cabos and the Sheraton has probably the worst front desk staff of any chain property that I have stayed at. There were so many problems with the hotel bill that took hours to resolve. While mistakes of this kind are not common, the way the front desk staff lead by Maricruz handled the situation was unacceptable. We were doubled charged for dinner and I demanded that they provide a signed receipt for every charge but instead they insisted that I prove I didn’t make those charges. Luckily, I had saved all my receipts, and only after going through them one by one, they agreed to remove the charges. By that time, we missed our flight. If you make the mistake of staying there, plan for a several hour checkout marathon.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
In a four weeks I'll be in Los Cabos again. Last time I was there I stay at the Sheraton Hacienda and the stay was great. Was there maybe 3 nights. This time I'll be there in Cabos for 4 night and thinking of staying at the Westin this time.

For this trip, I'm also thinking of renting a car to visit San Jose del Cabos and Los Cabos. Reports I've read online indicate that the there isn't a free shuttle to town from the Westin. The Sheraton had one to go to Los Cabos. Although the purpose of the trip is to relax, I would like to visit the town and not be "stuck" at the resort. It appears that cab rides to/from Westin to "town"(Los Cabos/San Jose) are $25-35 pp each way.

Anyone have any recent comments to make about renting a car or just chilling at Westin.

Thanks...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
In a four weeks I'll be in Los Cabos again. Last time I was there I stay at the Sheraton Hacienda and the stay was great. Was there maybe 3 nights. This time I'll be there in Cabos for 4 night and thinking of staying at the Westin this time.

For this trip, I'm also thinking of renting a car to visit San Jose del Cabos and Los Cabos. Reports I've read online indicate that the there isn't a free shuttle to town from the Westin. The Sheraton had one to go to Los Cabos. Although the purpose of the trip is to relax, I would like to visit the town and not be "stuck" at the resort. It appears that cab rides to/from Westin to "town"(Los Cabos/San Jose) are $25-35 pp each way.

Anyone have any recent comments to make about renting a car or just chilling at Westin.

Thanks...
Anyone have any new thoughts Updates?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:17 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Braswch
Anyone have any new thoughts Updates?
I stayed at the Westin recently.

I am a general member so I cannot comment on elite benefits.

The best part of the hotel is the incredible views from (most of) the rooms. We even got a glimpse of whales once from the balcony in our room. On award stays I would recommend using some extra points to get a room in the "Royal Beach Club" wing which are more central rooms as well as club access for breakfast and evening drinks/appetizers.

It is in a secluded location, ideal for relaxation but not very convenient if you want to go to the nearby towns or restaurants.

The hotel staff was quite good. Food was expensive though probably on par with other Westins.

I enjoyed my stay there.

Last edited by PG; Jan 9, 2012 at 5:54 am
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by scavanger
Westin

Anyway it seems from people we met in the lounge that we made the correct decision as the usual upgrade for a gold or plat (appears to be no distinction between the two which is great if you are a gold) is from a regular room to a Royal Beach Club or full ocean view room as well as access to the RBC).
I realize this post is 6+ years old. Does anyone else have any experience as SPG Gold getting upgrade to a Royal Beach Club room at the Westin in Cabo?

I'm not sure if this is a likely free upgrade or whether to book a RBC room ahead of time.

If we can't do 5 in a room, then we'll have to book 2 rooms. Is it wishful thinking that we'd get upgraded to RBC for both, and the rooms would be adjoining?

Last edited by bluedevils; Feb 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I may be heading to Cabo in a few months and due to availability issues, can get either the Westin for four days or the Sheraton / Westin for two days each. I've never been to Cabo and wouldn't mind being able to go into town for at least one or two nights (eat at the hotel the others).

What should I do - Westin or Westin/Sheraton split? Is a taxi between the Westin and the Sheraton going to be a lot? A lot of people mention renting a car - is that a decent option for a tourist?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by troyb
I may be heading to Cabo in a few months and due to availability issues, can get either the Westin for four days or the Sheraton / Westin for two days each. I've never been to Cabo and wouldn't mind being able to go into town for at least one or two nights (eat at the hotel the others).

What should I do - Westin or Westin/Sheraton split? Is a taxi between the Westin and the Sheraton going to be a lot? A lot of people mention renting a car - is that a decent option for a tourist?
I have not been there either but I split 2 and 2 for a trip in July so we could see two areas better. According to what I read taxis are very expensive plus we are going scuba diving a good distance away. We found a car for only $70 (all in) for 4 nights.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent input on which Cabo property is best for families (1 little one)? And Platinum acknowledgment too?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by chexfan
Any recent input on which Cabo property is best for families (1 little one)? And Platinum acknowledgment too?
I can only speak to the Sheraton:
How old is the little one? What about their swimming ability?

The Sheraton has a nice pool with zero grade entry for the kids. A Hot tub is not far so one of you can easily go and enjoy the hot tub while the other is with the little one and not be that far away.

If you utilize it the Kids club is also nice. There's an outdoor part as well as an indoor part with AC. They do lots of fun activities and crafts and learn spanish. Not free but they did a good job. It's not on the beach. (which is good in my opinion from a safety perspective.)

I found a fantastic babysitter while I was down there and they live there, so if you want to have that in your back pocket for Cabo PM me.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Platinum acknowledgment too?
Any updates on how PLatinums are treated at either/both properties?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Any updates on how PLatinums are treated at either/both properties?
Very well. We always get a great suite at both properties. I've stayed @ the Westin more often then the Sheraton but I think I may go back to the Sheraton again next trip. The Westin has the RBC so if free Bkfast & happy hour are very important to you then the Westin might be better for you as Sheraton has no lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.