Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:00 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Based on advice from this forum, and some other advice, I'll be at the Westin.

Forum provided me with good advice due to the free action at the Royal Beach Club - breakfast and dinner apps sound good and free at the Westin.

Local advice from my brother's co-worker who grew up in the area tells says that the Westin is the better place because of the proximity to San Jose Del Cabo. Cabo San Lucas is a bit built up - probably somewhat to the extent of Cancun, so I'll be at the Westin in September. I believe I reserved 2 rooms for 5 nights at 46,000 and change at the beach club. If by any chance you like to surf, this time of year can't be beat. Been to the CUN and enjoy it very much as I go back yearly, but I'm not as in to seeing Mc'D's when I'm on vacation out of the county.

Both places sound great though. August (and September) sound very hot, but I'll be at the pool or in the ocean, so I don't care.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:20 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Can someone tell me..is Cabo like Cancun??

My wife and I were planning on going there in January, but if its like cancun I'd like to know so we dont go. I hated cancun, so if cabo is similiar with the types of restaurants and shopping please help me avoid a disaterous vaction. Thanx.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ
My wife and I were planning on going there in January, but if its like cancun I'd like to know so we dont go. I hated cancun, so if cabo is similiar with the types of restaurants and shopping please help me avoid a disaterous vaction. Thanx.
I dont think its anything like Cancun. You can experience a lot of different things and not feel like the fake manufactured resort city that Cancun is. Cabo is real and a great place to explore. But I caution anyone who like ocean swimming that its typically not available in front of your hotel. You need to go to some of the "local" places to ocean swim.

Ken
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any updates? Im assuming the lounge at the Westin is open again?

How much is a cab from the airport to either of these two properties and are there any cheaper options?
Old May 15, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

How much is a cab from the airport to either of these two properties and are there any cheaper options?
Just returned from my 1st trip to the Westin - lounge is open, although not sure what remodeling was done - it's a fairly plain room with around 9 tables for 4 inside and 6 tables of 2 outside. Of course, the view & service were good ^. Breakfasts were nice with good selection, afternoon snacks were ok, and they did offer wine, beer, and a fine selection of "girlie" drinks made with very little alcohol (margaritas, daiquiries, pina coladas) - Head to the swim-up bar by the pool if you want a lot more kick in your margarita!
Old May 18, 2008, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

rent a car - we did, and were glad - taxis from the airport are outrageously expensive, car rental was reasonable, and we didn't have to spend an arm and a leg to go out to dinner.

We also much preferred the Sheraton over the Westin (switched to the Westin when extending our stay and no rooms at the Sheraton), although as we were leaving mid-day, passed on the RBC at the Westin as we couldn't take advantage of cocktails, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:01 pm

Cabo San Lucas - Sheraton vs Westin

We are trying to decide between the Westin and the Sheraton in Cabo San Lucas.

Which one would you all suggest we stay at?

Thanks!

Andrew
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:15 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Wow. Prepare yourself to be flamed by the Flyer Talk police for not having done a search.

I stayed at the Westin last year. I prefer it because it is as close to San Jose del Cabo as to Cabo San Lucas, which is great because CSL is nasty.

The Westin has a terrific lounge and nice pools. I didn't get upgraded as a Plat even though it was half-empty, but I was staying for a week and c'est la vie. And you can sneak next door into the Regina timeshare and use the shared and free laundry facilities there. You're not supposed to but hey, their guests come and use the Westin's pools.

To be honest, next time I go to Mexico it will be to the St Regis near Puerto Vallarta once the staff have been trained.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
Westin Los Cabos

We spent a night at the Westin before spending a week at our timeshare there. There appear to be very few suites there - we had one of the approx 6 I could see that were like ours - large balcony. There is an Ocean Club with great breakfasts and evening cocktails. The property is very large and the surf is rather rough. It was black (or red) flagged most of our week there, but we went swimming anyways.

Nice pools, large beach, isolated. Can't tell you much about the Sheraton, didn't even know there was one.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:37 pm

Sheraton Hacienda or Westin Los Cabos: WHat to expect for upgrade

Planning to be in Los Cabos on April 4 -14. Traveling with family (wife and two kids ages 11 &13). As a platinum member, what could I expect in either of this two hotels for upgrades? Which one you would recomend and why?

CR

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm Reason: Merged into master thread
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i stayed two nights in both the westin and the sheraton in late '08 w/mr kk.

we particularly liked the lounge at the westin, great service at breakfast--lucino is terrific--and for happy hour; particularly nice food offerings at breakfast. the hotel was fully booked but didn't seem crowded, it's enormous. i liked the modern nature of the architecture but have heard others aren't so enamored of it. the service there was great for us.

we thought the food at the pool/restaurants at the sheraton was surprisingly good, it had more of a hacienda feel...also enormous, and busy. they'll take you to your room in a little golf cart 'cause the place is so expansive. we wandered over to the resident's restaurant one evening for a nice mexican meal as well.

if you spend a few minutes and do a search, you'll find a number of threads singing the praises of one or the other. we don't have kids, so can't speak to which hotel would be better for children. i remember the westin had a kid's pool, (which we avoided like the plague ) don't remember if the sheraton had a dedicated area.

i wasn't a plat at the time, so perhaps the upgrades thread would help you out with that. frankly, we liked dividing our time between both hotels, although i can see that with a family in tow that might not be the best solution!

the black-flagged surf isn't restricted to one hotel, btw. cabo is not really a place where you're going to be spending a lot of time in the ocean, at least in my experience--most of the beaches are not swimmable, there's a strong undertow. stick to the pools if you want to get wet.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:56 am

Cabo: Which Hotel Westin or Sheraton

I am planin a trip to Cabo with my wife and 2 young kids and was wondering with hotel would be better? Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 11, 2009 at 8:56 am Reason: Moved into master thread on relevant hotels
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
In Westin, it's clear they offer RBC access with breakfast to Plats.

How about Sheraton? in the post before 2007, some people got the free breakfast coupons. Is there anybody how it's going on now?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:49 am
Suspended

Just wanted to refresh this thread a bit....any updates on the comparisons? Seems like the Westin is better in terms of freebies for Platinums. Seems like the Sheraton is better for suite upgrades. Correct? Any other thoughts? Which has better pool/beach? Thanks so much.

Edited to add: Which resort is best if I don't plan on having a car (or should I have a car?)? And, in lieu of Westin's RBC, does the Sheraton offer any freebies at all? Thanks again.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Feb 13, 2010 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Sheraton was well worth the stay in my opinion. I did not use breakfast onsite in either location, but the Sheraton had a great pool/resort area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.