Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Westin or Sheraton? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
How is the weather there in the end of June - is it too hot? And is this a good property to go to with a six month old on a weekend, or is it too party/convention oriented?
Can't answer the former question, but we went with our 5 month old at the end of April to the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar - and we feltwe fit right in. One of the pools has a kids end - shallow with a small wading pool - and several families congregated around there with their kids. There were some conventions/college groups, but nothing that in any way disrupted our vacation.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:04 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Question Sheraton or Westin at San Jose Del Cabo, Mex?

We (me and missus) are planning to spend a week in SJD, and trying to decide between Westin and Sheraton. Any thoughts/ recommendations appreciated (as I have not been to SJD at all!).
Both of us are SPG Plats and golf is NOT the main objective for this trip
Thanks a lot in advance for the help.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:57 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by LonLH
We (me and missus) are planning to spend a week in SJD, and trying to decide between Westin and Sheraton. Any thoughts/ recommendations appreciated (as I have not been to SJD at all!).
I have not been there, but investigated this on the boards. The Sheraton is generally considered to be the better of the two properties. However, the Westin is the only one of the two with a lounge that includes free breakfast and drinks/snacks for Plats in the evening. At the Sheraton, you pay for all of these, and its probably not cheap.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:44 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I have not been there, but investigated this on the boards. The Sheraton is generally considered to be the better of the two properties. However, the Westin is the only one of the two with a lounge that includes free breakfast and drinks/snacks for Plats in the evening. At the Sheraton, you pay for all of these, and its probably not cheap.
Thanks a lot, Vulcan.
The rates we are getting are roughly the same, so the free breakfast and drinks tip the scale in favour of the Westin
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:29 am

We stayed at the Sheraton and loved it! We liked the layout a lot better than the Westin. We are also platinum and were also upgraded to a beautiful suite. I would stay at the SHeraton again even though they don't have a lounge. They do have a great buffet breakfast which is around $12 and you order right off the menu and they bring you whatever you want. I would highly recommend it. Good luck in your decision.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:30 am

This is a bit long and rambles but for what its worth

Spent some time in Los Cabos earlier this year and never got around to doing a report so I’ve taken this opportunity to offer a few comments since we stayed at both properties.

Sheraton:

Consists of approximately 240 rooms + 270 timeshares (a.k.a Vacation Club). It is located in a large development called Cabo Del Sol (high end condos, villas, 2 golf courses) which is about 45 minutes from the airport and about a mile off the main highway, mid-way between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. The Sheraton consists of low rise 2-5 story "hacienda" style buildings situated between two golf courses along what seems to be about 3,000' of beautiful sand beach (in all the beach would be couple of miles in length). Given its size the hotel actually has an intimate feel and even though high occupancy during our stay it did not feel crowded. The timeshares and hotel are integrated in terms of architecture and access to services with the timeshares concentrated on the west side of the property including its own reception area and the hotel occupying the main building and a number of buildings on the east side of the property. The main hotel building is U shaped (4 stories) and includes a spacious indoor outdoor lobby area, restaurant etc. In front of the main building (beach side) and actually along the entire beach side of the property are a series of 4 or 5 meandering pools with ample space and the feel of being right on the beach. The hotel is about 10 years old and the rooms are a bit dated -Mexican Tile – heavy wood furniture etc. –We knew that they had suites available from the website and were given a fantastic upgrade to a three bedroom two floor Ocean view (1,400 sq ft) suite which was nice but I would not consider it luxury e.g. small bathrooms chopped up floor plan (more like renting a condo or something). Anyway it was located on the top two floors of a 5 story building just behind the ocean/pool front buildings which are two stories. The grounds of the property are immaculate; there are two fine dining restaurants in addition to a pool bar, beach restaurant and the restaurant in the main building. The timeshare also has a restaurant which is priced quite a bit lower than the hotel restaurants and there is also a store in the time share area (beer, water, snacks). Service in the hotel was excellent -- Lots of bell staff at curbside as well as an excellent concierge desk and great front desk staff. To give you an idea at check-in we were greeted by front desk manager who looked at the reservation and without hesitation moved us to the suite. When we decided to extend out stay the hotel was unfortunately sold out but they worked some magic and without a room change or price change extended for an extra night. Even at check-out they encouraged us to return and suggested that we do so at a less busy time of year to ensure a good upgrade. It appears to be a very family friendly property but caters to couples just as much. It is managed by Starwood but owned privately. Platinum treatment was as good as it gets in my opinion.

Westin

Closer to San Jose Del Cabo the Westin consists of about 240 rooms and 240 timeshare (vacation club) units. It is situated in a dramatic setting and notwithstanding the fantastic ambience, service, plat recognition and staff at the Sheraton all of which surpassed the Westin, we actually preferred the Westin. We ended up staying in a suite (paid – not upgraded) as availability was extremely limited –actually needed to call the hotel directly to secure the nights we wanted. It turns out they have just 11 suites plus a couple of premium suites (e.g. presidential). I had a faint hope that they might do something special for us at check-in e.g. upgrade from paid suite to pres. suite or something but that was not to be nor was there any evidence of Plat recognition other than a bottle of wine and room temperature shrimp waiting for us (which I think is more an amenity that goes with the suite as opposed to a plat thing). Anyway it seems from people we met in the lounge that we made the correct decision as the usual upgrade for a gold or plat (appears to be no distinction between the two which is great if you are a gold) is from a regular room to a Royal Beach Club or full ocean view room as well as access to the RBC) we met a couple of plats who said that they tried for an upgrade but no suites were available though one said that they had gotten a suite upgrade the year before after pushing the issue with a manager. Our suite was aprox. 750 sq ft open concept bi-level with 250 sq ft covered terrace fronting the ocean -- including Jacuzzi and day bed. By contrast regular rooms appear to be about 300-400 sq ft including a small covered balcony, ceilings in the regular rooms are 8’ so they can feel a bit closterphobic. Both the suite and regular rooms like at the Sheraton were a bit tired, though the Westin in my opinion is a cut above in terms of appointments. Even though it is just 240 rooms the hotel has the impersonal feel of a large Palm Springs style resort with everything spread out. The hotel is about a half mile off the highway and if you have seen the photos of the property you can get an idea of the architecture and scale. It is essentially a series of buildings that form a giant circle situated between two hills such that the rooms occupy 10 or 11 story buildings on the ocean side of the circle and the services including lobby, meeting rooms etc occupy the inner area and highway side of the circle. The timeshares are on the east side of the property and are pueblo style buildings built into the side of the hill terraced down to the ocean. There is also new construction of a fractional ownership condo on the west side of the property that is connected with the timeshare developers. The open air lobby of the hotel is on the fourth level (street level) and offers a great perspective of the property. The Royal Beach Club portion of the hotel is adjacent to the large “arch” (see photos) and is the section just to the right of that “arch” (facing the hotel from the ocean) The suites are located on either side and immediately adjacent to the large arch. The RBC is essentially another way of saying club level and the RBC lounge offers complimentary buffet breakfast until 10 am every day and complimentary evening Hors d'ouvres and cocktails 5-7pm everyday. It is located on the third floor adjacent to the “arch” and includes inside and outside seating and table service.

The pool areas are terraced with some directly on the beach and others higher up – the timeshare area also has beautiful ocean view pool areas including the one that I think is featured in Westin television commercials.

The main restaurant is located in the inner part of the circle; there is also fine dining in a magnificent restaurant atop one of the hills at the west side of the property as well as a pool and beach restaurant. In addition the timeshare area has a nice restaurant and also a store (beer, water, snacks). The Sheraton’s beach is fantastic but we found the Westin’s beach to be even better. One of the things that makes Los Cabos so unique is the contrast of desert meeting ocean and the setting of the Westin is exactly that, including great rock formations coming right down to the water on either side of the property. The beach itself is impassable on the east side of the property (towards San Jose) but it goes on for miles to the west with the desert running right up to the edge of the beach with the only exceptions being a private golf course adjacent to the hotel and the beach on the west side and the next resort (the Marquis) which is about 3 miles away. One thing which we found odd is that the hotel decided to put what essentially is a mini-putt miniature golf course at one end of the property right at the beach – just seemed a bit out of context in terms of the magnificent setting and spectacular architecture.

Service at the Westin was not consistent. For example in contrasting our Sheraton lobby and reception experience to the Westin, the Westin felt like we were arriving in a ghost town as we unloaded the luggage ourselves and then waited at the front desk where only two were on duty. From what I could see during the course of our stay this was the norm. By contrast the Sheraton had lots of staff who were very attentive (lots of energy). Other than that housekeeping, pool service and restaurant service were similar though for lack of a better description the overall mood at the Sheraton just seemed more positive, energetic and genuinely friendly where in an odd way the Westin had a big city hotel type of attitude.

If not for our preference for the setting and accommodation not to mention the club floor at the Westin, we would certainly choose the Sheraton because of that “attitude” issue.

Other comments that may be of value – consider renting a car – the highways are great and parking is free – taxis cost a fortune.

San Lucas appears to be more focused on tourists with lots of shopping where San Jose has a much quieter feel. It appears that future development is trending towards San Jose with a new Starwood apparently confirmed for a huge development called Puerto Los Cabos (http://www.puertoloscabos.com).

We did the timeshare tour at the Westin – 2 hours of high pressure sales in return for breakfast and US$100 -- We also did the fractional ownership tour – at the Westin -- low key and a sunset wine and cheese…very nice.

We checked out Las Ventenas spectacular rooms but pricey reminded us a bit of Sandy Lane. We also checked out the “One and Only Pamilla” but they were sold out. What was great in both situations is that the staff were extremely friendly even though we were essentially walk-ups just having completed long beach walks –(though it took a bit of talking to get by security) with the Palmilla folks encouraging us to come back to see a room late in the week. The setting of Palmilla is spectacular lush gardens on a beautiful beach adjacent to the desert.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:40 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
The Las Ventanas and the Esperanza resorts are the best in on the Sea of Cortez.
Palmilla is third.

But they are expensive, food is not great but expensive everywhere in the Cabo area, thus the Westin may be a better choice.

I stayed at both hotels during my RTW last year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3201592

Take a look at the right posts, from post 9 onwards.

Internet sucked at both properties, barely worked at the Westin.

The Sheraton has a much nicer atmosphere, than the weird, modern, colourful Westin. Both hotels have its advantages, I suggest trying both. Staying 4/4 night, or 4 at the Sheraton and 3 at the Westin.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Sheraton first:

An upgrade to a gorgeous duplex ocean view two-bedroom suite with Jacuzzi. One of the nicest rooms I have seen so far – I like the architecture, the colours and the design of the whole hotel property. Very recommendable, service ok so far, just the mini-bar fridge is not working and the air-condition is loud. We drove to town for dinner at the Tower restaurant which is a total rip-off: 25$ for 4 king-prawns. View of Los Cabos yacht harbour is nice. Lots of people in Los Cabos around the town center and the harbour, Mediterranean flair and prices. Portofino and Puerto Banus are a lot closer for us. But we are here to play golf, enjoy the pool area and beach. We saw the Vision of the Seas, a Royal Caribbean ship passing by today. Great view from balcony and pool area. Nice courtyard of the hotel, very well maintained. Tomorrow we will play the Cabo Del Sol Desert Course, one of the worlds top 100 courses. Temperature about 100 degrees Fahrenheit, medium humidity, pool almost too warm.

Wednesday, 04 August 2004

We had a wonderful round of golf on the Desert course at Cabo Del Sol. It took us only 3h 30 minutes and I shot a 1 over Par 73 with 3 Birdies and four Bogeys which were results of dumb course management and bad execution of shots to the green. Good weather. After the round I walked on the beach to the holes on the ocean of the properties Ocean Course which took me 30 minutes until I returned to my room. Then I checked out the gym which is complementary for Gold and Platinum Preferred Guests but otherwise costs 11 dollars per visit. Tomorrow we will play the Arroyo and Mountain nines of the Palmilla resort which surrounds the One & Only hotel. The Ocean nine there is closed – like the Ocean course at Cabo Del Sol – for maintenance. Courses undergo major renovations taking three months here.

Thursday, 05 August 2004

Palmilla Golf is located in the canyons about 3 miles from the beach. It was a lot hotter than on the other course and also than at our hotel. The course is a canyon layout, fairways are ok, but there are too many bunkers and I had a bad day being in the sand 14 times. Greens were not letting to ball roll on an obvious line. Deceptive Greens made me make 4 three putts and shoot a 78. The par threes are all over 200 yards, three of the four are over 220 yards. I am proud that I hit the ball on every green on the “short” holes. Day off tomorrow. We will try to see Cabo’s famous arch and lighthouse.

Saturday, 07 August 2004

I just witnessed on TV how Andre Agassi beat Andy Roddick 7:5 6:7 7:6 at Cincinnati in an epic match. Both players showed their best tennis, Agassi was amazing. My 76 at the Desert Course at Cabo Del Sol was not as spectacular but it was acceptable. Somehow my putting was off. The staff at the Sheraton here is not able to communicate in English on a level which is necessary in the hospitality business. The skill level of English I expect is not high, but what I hear here and the words (simple prepositions like “within”) that are not understood is hardly imaginable. Then there is the elevator next to my bedroom which is loud and prevents me from sleeping in the early morning hours. When I recently asked for new towels I was told “no”. When I asked for a second beach towel I got another “no”. Not even a friendly excuse. Here you have to give away a towel-card in exchange for a towel to be used at the pool. They must have big towel-theft problems here. Tomorrow we will change to the Westin Los Cabos, the Grand-Canyon coloured oceanfront arch.

Sunday, 08 August 2004
Westin:
The courteous and efficient front desk staff followed my upgrade request and we were given a wonderful partial ocean view deluxe suite with Jacuzzi on the balcony and at least 80 m2 of living space. All marble floors, great bath, bed, TV, etc. Just the internet connection for 20 $ per day plus tax is IMO outrageously expensive. The Royal Beach Club Lounge on the third floor is closed. But instead Platinum SPG members get buffet breakfast and drinks and snacks from 5-7pm. An acceptable replacement for a lounge I would have loved to see. Food and drink selection was good. Valet parking is free as far as I have heard and it was free at the Sheraton as well. Overall the Westin Regina is a stunning hotel in a location which is like desert hills on the beach. Air-conditioning is very loud, the lock of the balcony did not work but we sorted it out because it is necessary on the ground floor.

Internet service from my room in the Westin Regina is too bad to do online banking and sign up for my university courses. This costs me real effort, time and money. I always see:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

And my browser is configured perfectly!

Service at Mexican Starwoods: Two examples (which I intend to send to Starwood headquarters):

The door to the balcony cannot be closed and we are in a ground floor suite in Mexico. I call the “service express” (ironic name, because everything takes ages here! The clock caused the staff to be late, I guess!) and am told how to close it, I already did make the right moves trying to lock the door, the lock is just stuck, not moving, I am told somebody will come by. Three hours, nobody comes, I walk up to the front desk, finally someone comes within an hour. The person can’t help. Door open overnight and always when we are away for food, sports, etc. Computer and gadgets in room, safe too small. Door still open. Day two, 3 calls, nobody helps, no secure lock on the easily accessible balcony caused my mother not to sleep well. Now, after two days someone comes and tells us he will have to come back to install a new lock. Hope this helps, 36 hours, 4 calls, two visits to the front desk to close the balcony door. New world record!!!

Then the slow internet access. 20$/day, hotel obviously has network problems, but does not tell me when I asked yesterday for a stable and relatively quick 256kb connection in the room for my 2AM business – banking, FX, signup for my new University courses. Connection is ok for two minutes, then two minutes off again. I ask the lady in the business center, she can’t help, tells me it will be better during the night, well, it was even worse, I could not do what was necessary. I ask the Service Express for help, am told to contact the business center, I call the bc, nobody there, then walk over, bc empty, I call the Service Express again, am told to wait for a computer expert to call me. I am called within 10 minutes and am told to delete my cookies, this doesn’t help, the expert says, it must be my computer not the connection. My IBM T40 worked flawless for a year now! I wait 2 hours in the room instead of going to the pool, no call, no expert in my suite as promised. Boy this service sucks. Connection is now, after 20 hours still the same, although I also complained at the front desk. I am not even able to check my e-mail properly, being not able to send and receive data, although everything is connected, every 3 minutes for about 3 minutes. Back at the front desk now I am told about minor network problems, which actually caused me to loose money on the markets. At least I could have conserved more in the downward spiral of the DAX. Awful connection, my laptop always works great at the Four Seasons 10$/day connections!

Furthermore the access to the Fitness Center here is 10$ per person per day, regardless of SPG level and room booked, every guest has to pay. Well, at the Sheraton Hacienda we did not have to pay due to our SPG Platinum status. On the other hand they make up for the closed Royal Beach club with free Buffet breakfast and pre-dinner drinks, at least something.

Tomorrow we will play the El Dorado golf course, on the adjacent property (further west in direction of Los Cabos), where George W. Bush played when he also stayed here during an important (G8?) economic summit.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The course was definitely worth playing. 6 oceanfront holes were as spectacular as those at Pebble, Kiawah or Bandon. The condition was fine for the summer. 12 desert styles holes were tugged into canyons with three artificial lakes making a delightful contrast to the dry surroundings. I shot 3 over Par 75 on a course with 5 Par 5 and 5 Par 3 holes, four of them over 200 yards and all requiring a carry all the way onto the green. There is a shuttle service to the El Dorado and Cabo Real courses from the Westin.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:26 am

Question Los Cabos Mexico - Sheraton or Westin?

Traveling to Cabo San Lucas in August. Any recommendations regarding the Sheraton or the Westin? The Sheraton looks like a nicer romantic resort on the website. It the states, ussually the Westin brand offers a higher level of service then Sheraton. Looks the opposite in Cabo?

Any tips on getting from airport to resort?

Regards,

Bonguy
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Let me be the first (other than registration email) to welcome you. You will find that your question is one of the more ubiquitous discussions in the *wood forum (after Platinum non-recognition, NYC Starwood choices and a few others).

If you do a search within the *wood forum, I believe that you will find not only numerous discussions of the Cabo topic, but also discussions that are relevant and recent.

Have fun.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:26 pm

Location: Bullhead, AZ out of McCarran (Las Vegas) International Airport
Programs: AA & SPG
Originally Posted by bonguy
Traveling to Cabo San Lucas in August. Any recommendations regarding the Sheraton or the Westin? The Sheraton looks like a nicer romantic resort on the website. It the states, ussually the Westin brand offers a higher level of service then Sheraton. Looks the opposite in Cabo?

Regards,

Bonguy
Since I was there over Memorial Day Weekend, I'll answer. I stayed at the Westin and loved it. The service was outstanding and the property was beautiful. I had a great 4 days there and I plan to go back.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
I have only stayed at the Westin and was blown away simply by its architecture. The Royal Beach Club to which we had access contributed A LOT of value to our stay: breakfast each morning, and an impressive spread of hors d'oeuvres and cocktails each evening.

Do note that you CANNOT swim the beach; the waves and ripcords are too dangerous, and staff members patrol the beach to keep foolhardy tourists from risking their lives.

While I have not stayed at the Sheraton, I have only heard rave reviews for it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I love Cabo.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:04 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
If you are SPG Platinum, the Westin has a lounge which gets you breakfast and snacks at night. The Sheraton does not.This could make a big difference in overall trip costs.
If you search, the Sheraton is generally considered a slightly better property by people who have been to both. But it really is an individual preference (Kind of like the SGS versus Westin in BKK-50% prefer one and 50% the other).
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:30 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Los Cabos

Originally Posted by bonguy

Regards,

Bonguy

My choice from experience is the Sheraton.
The airport is a $25 taxi ride(20 minutes).
Enjoy
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 100k, HGVC, Hyatt VC
I just spent 8 days at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar in Cabo., June 18 -26. Absolutely loved it. It is a really beautiful resort, and I thought the service was great. It is very family friendly, has what feels like 5 different pools, two of which have zero entry for the kids.

I also was given the best upgrade I have ever received as a Platinum member. I paid $150 a night for the first 3 nights, and then used 40k points for the next five, and was upgraded to a two room ocean front suite!

I did visit the Westin, which to me seemed very out of place with its modern structure and hill side location.

Sincerely,

DeweyWhopper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.