Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson
Paid res at the end of April has a 30 day cancelation window.... In other news, double points gonna be huge!
Hmm..should my 7 day policy concern me? Still not fully confirmed on making the trip.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by slice
Hmm..should my 7 day policy concern me? Still not fully confirmed on making the trip.
Is yours an award stay? I think most award are 7 days and paid are 30.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Someone really flamed the property on TA. They found out their wife is pregnant and want to cancel due to Zika worries. They are not in the free cancel period. StR has offered 1/2 the money back or to reschedule with no charge. The guest is unhappy they are not getting all money back. Unrealistic IMHO. As someone points out, paid stays are not "last minute" bookings at this place.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
My award reservation shows 30 days, though it's the 80k OWV mistake rate that I booked last August.
I was under the impression that most award reservations were also 30 days, though.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jaycis
My award reservation shows 30 days, though it's the 80k OWV mistake rate that I booked last August.
I was under the impression that most award reservations were also 30 days, though.
Mine is 7 days. Could be a couple of things. 1) depending on time of year, they could extend if its high season. 2) A few months ago the cancel time frame was way out of whack. I looked at an award stay that you couldnt cancel. Who knows? I'd def go with what any individual reservation stated.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:00 pm

Hi all,
Since I'll be there in August and the weather isn't predictable: either rain or shine....I don't want to pay for the upgrade from GV to OWV now and be in the situation when it rains all week and I'm pretty far from restaurants and even overpaid for this
I also hold Gold elite through AMEX card. Does it make sense to ask for an upgrade on arrival depending on the weather or in hopes to get a free upgrade (I'm funny, yes) instead of risking and doing it now?
What's the chance if I ask for an upgrade on arrival (and the weather is good), I won't be able to get anything or get, but not a good one (in terms of privacy)?
Looking for opinions and thoughts.
Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:13 pm

For any dates I looked at in Jan/Feb (award bookings), the terms were 30 days. When I was looking at a few dates that had popped up in December (right before Christmas), the terms were 90 days (also award bookings). With those (admittedly limited) data points, I'd support the idea that time of year is a factor in what the cancellation window is - ex they don't have as much of a loss if a room in May goes unsold (since I'd assume occupancy is normally lower then), but they do during the holidays (when occupancy is probably at or close to 100%).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Someone really flamed the property on TA. They found out their wife is pregnant and want to cancel due to Zika worries. They are not in the free cancel period. StR has offered 1/2 the money back or to reschedule with no charge. The guest is unhappy they are not getting all money back. Unrealistic IMHO. As someone points out, paid stays are not "last minute" bookings at this place.
This made me read all of the negative reviews (5 in worst category). In this specific case I do think the hotel did quite well with their offer. Anywho, they should get a letter from their doctor at home recommending cancelling and take it up with their travel insurance. The other negative reviews are interesting, it does mainly read as some teething pains of a very newly opened hotel. This is why you'd often want to wait 6 months or so before going to a new property
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
This made me read all of the negative reviews (5 in worst category). In this specific case I do think the hotel did quite well with their offer. Anywho, they should get a letter from their doctor at home recommending cancelling and take it up with their travel insurance. The other negative reviews are interesting, it does mainly read as some teething pains of a very newly opened hotel. This is why you'd often want to wait 6 months or so before going to a new property
We are going in August for our 25th. I read this thread every day. My wife reads TA.

Too bad you can't reply to TA reviews. I doubt he'd get much sympathy.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:00 pm

​​so I’ve read that I we should book reservations with the restaurants in advance... does anyone know if that’s nesscesary? What are some other good dinning choices besides from oriental?

Some people also said the butler can provide complimentary champagne and coconut water to the room? Is that on a daily basis? Or just on arrival? And does anyone know the when the manager’s party at whale bar takes place? I heard it’s a weekly thing, but I don’t know what day it’s on...

last question, I’m platinum elite so I’m entitled to 4pm late checkout if available, anyone has success checking out at 4pm? My return flight home is not until 8pm that’s why..
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Anndr000
​​so I’ve read that I we should book reservations with the restaurants in advance... does anyone know if that’s nesscesary? What are some other good dinning choices besides from oriental?

Some people also said the butler can provide complimentary champagne and coconut water to the room? Is that on a daily basis? Or just on arrival? And does anyone know the when the manager’s party at whale bar takes place? I heard it’s a weekly thing, but I don’t know what day it’s on...

last question, I’m platinum elite so I’m entitled to 4pm late checkout if available, anyone has success checking out at 4pm? My return flight home is not until 8pm that’s why..
Of course you are not getting complimentary champagne on a daily basis. But it is not uncommon to get a bottle upon arrival.

Check out time is sort handled automatically, you give them your departure time from MLE, and they arrange the seaplane with Trans Maldivian. And check out is then managed to match the flight. We had an 8pm flight from MLE and left the room around 2pm. Can't remember the exact time.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Anndr000

I'd make restaurant reservations in advance just so you have something; you can then adjust with the butler when you're there as you find out what you like / dislike. I personally didn't like Alba for dinner much, but think Cargo is definitely worth a visit (or two depending on how long you're there). The menu at Whale bar is pretty good on paper; we unfortunately skipped dining there as we didn't trust our son that close to the water at night (an active 2 year old!).

Someone else answered on return flights; it's mostly driven by your seaplane departure which the hotel doesn't control. We had a 6.15pm flight and left the resort at 3pm and had late check-out. I think it just comes down to whether they need the villa for someone else arriving or not -- not your level of status.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tygran37
For those who have been recently.. what did and did not count towards your "base spending" for the 10x marriott points per dollar at this hotel?

I'm assuming dining counts, and obviously the room rate (if you paid cash). What about activities? spa? seaplane? etc...

Reason I'm asking is this upcoming double points promotion. https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-bonvoy-promotion/

If most stuff that gets charged to the room for a stay here counts for the 10x base points per dollar.... seems like anyone staying between 3/19/19 and 6/4/19 would want to be sure to 1) register for this and 2) be sure that you have a marriott stay prior to your maldives since the double points only starts with the "second stay". This would be worth booking a single cheap marriott night somewhere just to get the first stay taken care of.
For us, everything except sea plane counted as Marriott spend for points including activities and discretionary tips (butler).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium/ Lifetime Platinum, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by jjakobv84
For us, everything except sea plane counted as Marriott spend for points including activities and discretionary tips (butler).
Did you charge all your tips to your room bill at the end? I was planning on bringing cash to provide butler and other tips but charging to room bill and getting points is even better (plus less cash I have to carry around).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by rp88
Who did you escalate to? I'm in the same scenario but don't have an ambassador
Sorry just saw this - not sure who my ambassador escalated to. Sounds like it wasn't the hotel but instead through the corporate Marriott Rewards side? Apparently since the point redemption went up, the hotel is unable to adjust since the system will automatically charge more for any modifications to existing reservations.

I think if you just ask for your concern to be escalated, it'll be routed appropriately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.