Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Gold Member w/Hilton & Marriott
Originally Posted by str1der2903
Has anyone heard recent reports of positive tests/quarantine at St. Regis? We are vaccinated so our only concern is that someone else on our flight tests positive and then they ask everyone on that flight to quarantine for 14 days. I read the rules on the government website and if you are on the same flight, and even if you test negative, you have to quarantine for 14 days. This is quite a ridiculous rule TBH - if someone tests negative and you want them to quarantine, you should do 3 days max and re-test them. If they are negative again you let them leave!
I have the same concern. I even emailed St Regis Maldives. They didn't talk about 14 days quarantine or anything relating to the concern but only replied about how they give Garden Villa to the positive patient and the prices are negotiated. They don't have the prices since there has not been a single positive case yet in St Regis Maldives.

So there are two options to quarantine if someone test positive and you test negative. Well, even if you test positive these options apply for the same. Either you quarantine at St Regis Maldives or Quarantine facility by Maldives govt.

I know that it's very frustrating all passengers have to quarantine.

There was an article about it in Indian media (https://indianexpress.com/article/wo...dives-7239439/).

“If a traveller has been asked to quarantine it is because they have been identified as a contact through tracing, or tested positive. Our procedure is for them to be quarantined for the mandated period. Maldives follows recommendations from WHO in contact tracing, such as quarantining individuals seated two rows in front and two rows behind the individual who has tested positive. The completion of the quarantine period is a public health measure to contain any further potential spread,” explained Azeez. (From the news article)

BTW, Soneva is giving complimentary stay if you test negative at arrival. Below is the screenshot from Twitter

-------

We are also concerned since we have an infant who cannot wear mask all the time. After studying that only 6 cases have been reported from the island resorts so far in Maldives gave us some confidence that it shall not be a problem but right now, cases (8000+) are rising in Bombay city where we live so we have wait and see how it goes.

Last edited by AnandC; Apr 1, 2021 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by AnandC
I have the same concern. I even emailed St Regis Maldives. They didn't talk about 14 days quarantine or anything relating to the concern but only replied about how they give Garden Villa to the positive patient and the prices are negotiated. They don't have the prices since there has not been a single positive case yet in St Regis Maldives.

So there are two options to quarantine if someone test positive and you test negative. Well, even if you test positive these options apply for the same. Either you quarantine at St Regis Maldives or Quarantine facility by Maldives govt.

I know that it's very frustrating all passengers have to quarantine. There was an article about it in Indian media (https://indianexpress.com/article/wo...dives-7239439/).

We are also concerned since we have an infant who cannot wear mask all the time. After studying that only 6 cases have been reported from the island resorts so far in Maldives gave us some confidence that it shall not be a problem but right now, cases (8000+) are rising in Bombay city where we live so we have wait and see how it goes.
Thanks! We live in the U.S. and flying to Maldives via India. I'm traveling via Delhi so I'm less concerned than I would be if I was going from Mumbai. Statistically the chances that someone on the flight from Mumbai to Male is positive is much higher than someone from Delhi.

I'm quite concerned and will likely cancel the trip as flights from India to Maldives have been jam packed, cases are rising substantially in India, and the tests are done 72-96 hours in advance implying someone on the flight might have COVID resulting in quarantine of those on the flight even if they test negative. The risk of shelling out $1000's of dollars + delayed return to the U.S. is just not worth it right now. Maldives isn't going anywhere so we will likely go at a later time.

The Maldives government should have updated its rules by now. For an island completely reliant on tourism, they should have different rules for those completely vaccinated. Also, the policy to have those who might have come in contact with a positive case, yet test negative, to quarantine for 14 days is ridiculous -especially if they are fully vaccinated
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:11 pm

Thanks! We live in the U.S. and flying to Maldives via India. I'm traveling via Delhi so I'm less concerned than I would be if I was going from Mumbai. Statistically the chances that someone on the flight from Mumbai to Male is positive is much higher than someone from Delhi.

I'm quite concerned and will likely cancel the trip as flights from India to Maldives have been jam packed, cases are rising substantially in India, and the tests are done 72-96 hours in advance implying someone on the flight might have COVID resulting in quarantine of those on the flight even if they test negative. The risk of shelling out $1000's of dollars + delayed return to the U.S. is just not worth it right now. Maldives isn't going anywhere so we will likely go at a later time.

The Maldives government should have updated its rules by now. For an island completely reliant on tourism, they should have different rules for those completely vaccinated. Also, the policy to have those who might have come in contact with a positive case, yet test negative, to quarantine for 14 days is ridiculous -especially if they are fully vaccinated
I totally agree with you. I'm vaccinated with 1st dose and in next 15 days, I'll be getting my 2nd dose. I did read that Maldives might have some relaxing norms for vaccinated tourist but nothing confirmed yet (https://www.ttgasia.com/2021/03/10/m...oost-arrivals/). Thailand on the other hand has a proper roadmap for it's tourism. They will be allowing vaccinated tourist to enter the country without any quarantine while others need to quarantine for 7 days. It will start from July 2020 (https://thepointsguy.com/news/thaila...ted-travelers/).

I think given the covid situation in India right now, time will tell what needs to be done. Though if things go on the way they are right now, our trip also looks very dicey. Cases are rising in Maldives since February. In fact on March 31, 2021, Maldives recorded highest number of cases in a single day (241 cases). Even though it may seem very less, it's very high for a place like Maldives where average were 50 cases on a single day.

Let's hope the wave settles down quickly.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:44 pm

What's the best travel insurance to get in case one of us tests positive while at the hotel and have to quarantine for 2 weeks?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
What's the best travel insurance to get in case one of us tests positive while at the hotel and have to quarantine for 2 weeks?
No insurance out there covers quarantine. One of them covers it only for the government facility which you would never want to be in. The only insurance options are trip interruptions which might cover the flight back home, but won’t pay for the stay/food at the resort due to quarantine.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
From India, TATA AIG Insurance covers Covid-19 Medical Expenses.

----

BTW, 300 new cases on April 1, 2021 in Maldives

Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:15 am

Sadly, I just cancelled our stay for the end of April. The risk is just too high that we might have to quarantine, and I read that 2 people can't quarantine together, so you would have to pay for two rooms (although this might just be if one person tests positive).. either way since our home country requires a test to return prior to departure, it is too risky that one of us might test positive at the resort and then we find us stuck there with a hefty bill, not to mention the USD200/test.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
Yep. Just to add another DP about the rate and availability, back in June I had booked a GV for 6 nights in April for $100k/night, as it was the only redemption available. By December, the GV rate had dropped to 85k and OVW were available for 90k, so we changed our reservation.
Ouch!!!!! $100,000.00 per night???? 😆 Only 94 more night to Ambassador, you will definitely have the spend. lol

James
njvandy likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Jay66
Sadly, I just cancelled our stay for the end of April. The risk is just too high that we might have to quarantine, and I read that 2 people can't quarantine together, so you would have to pay for two rooms (although this might just be if one person tests positive).. either way since our home country requires a test to return prior to departure, it is too risky that one of us might test positive at the resort and then we find us stuck there with a hefty bill, not to mention the USD200/test.
There is always a way to beat the chances of getting coronavirus. Get Pranaam services (Mumbai Airport) that cost Rs.3,500 per person. You don't have to stand in check-in line, security check line, immigration line, boarding also you are allowed to go first. Everything is handled by a person, you don't have to get out of the buggy (cart), just at the time of immigration. So you beat all the rush and chances of catching covid minimise.

While 10-15 daily new cases has always been there in Maldives since the start at operational resorts. It's not that bad as it looks. But could get worst, you never know.

Last edited by AnandC; Apr 2, 2021 at 2:53 am
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Does anybody know the emailaddress of the GM Vincent Pauchon, would you be willing to share it with me privately?
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:00 am

Yes - but honestly it doesn't really help. If you maintain distance and are cautious, the chances of you getting COVID at the airport is statistically quite low. Its largely on the plane if you are seated in close proximity to someone who has COVID, or worse you dont even get COVID but someone two rows behind you tests positive and now everyone has to quarantine.

Also, the 10-15 cases translate into 100+ quarantine cases. The reported numbers are only those who tested positive and does NOT include all those quarantined by virtue of being close contacts.

Technically, you limit most risk by being seated in the first row of business class. Probability wise, you just hope that the ~10 people in the 2-3 rows behind you dont test positive. If you're in economy, and especially in row XX, you pretty much lose all statistical advantages and just pray to go no one tests positive around you
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:02 am

I emailed him - its his first name.last name @ stregis.com

He has been very helpful but cannot disclose anything around case counts/quarantine at the hotel as only the government can do that. Also, the rate for quarantine is $600 per night + 23% taxes - garden villa w/ pool no ocean access. You could use your points - it will be a 15 day quarantine (14 day quarantine + 1 more day for final test). If you used points (fifth night free) it would ned up being close to a million points and would not include any meals!
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:22 pm

Didn't someone say there were no cases at the STR or did I read that wrong? And that the rate was negotiable (vs the ~$600 quoted above)
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I emailed him - its his first name.last name @ stregis.com

He has been very helpful but cannot disclose anything around case counts/quarantine at the hotel as only the government can do that. Also, the rate for quarantine is $600 per night + 23% taxes - garden villa w/ pool no ocean access. You could use your points - it will be a 15 day quarantine (14 day quarantine + 1 more day for final test). If you used points (fifth night free) it would ned up being close to a million points and would not include any meals!
thanks, im coming with my family. My main question is can i quarantine in a villa of my choosing (and of course at my own expense). (So atleast 2 bedrooms).
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Dedicated quarantine rooms are the 4 garden villas, until they fill up you have no other choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.