Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Is it worth to pay for the breakfast? I am only a gold and will not have stays or spend opportunities to hit PLT. Also would much appreciate if someone can tell the breakfast cost.
The breakfast is outstanding, and if you eat a bit later you might not need lunch at all. Breakfast also has Bloody Marys, mimosas, and champagne.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
The breakfast is outstanding, and if you eat a bit later you might not need lunch at all. Breakfast also has Bloody Marys, mimosas, and champagne.
Yes, I figured that out today as well: while Mimosas and Champagne are not shown on the menu anymore (different to a few months ago), they seem to still be complimentary. At least if you ask nicely!
This is in slight contrast to the experience that was mentioned a couple of days ago but at least a good change back (if it was one). Else, everything is superb and we really enjoy our stay!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by t3ame

Yes, I figured that out today as well: while Mimosas and Champagne are not shown on the menu anymore (different to a few months ago), they seem to still be complimentary. At least if you ask nicely!
This is in slight contrast to the experience that was mentioned a couple of days ago but at least a good change back (if it was one). Else, everything is superb and we really enjoy our stay!
When I was there last, which was November 2018, they would even make the Island Mary at breakfast (but not serve it in the shell). I really enjoyed the eggs benny with Maldivian tuna and fried soft-shell crab.
If you're still there try and do the bartending course, which I think is only offered if it rains, and request Godfrey if you can!

I'd like to go back, but having been twice, I feel I should try others (went to Westin Maldives in February). Probably going to JW in February, but still toy with the idea of going back to STR!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Thanks! I won't be PLT anytime soon but I'll happily pay for a good breakfast spread.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
In terms of value, even if I had to pay for breakfast, it's probably the best "meal value" on the island. It's a great breakfast in my opinion.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:33 am

Recently completed a 5 night stay here. Truly exceptional service and hard product throughout, and I will post a trip report soon. Does anyone have a recommendation for a property similar to this level of quality and service within the Marriott or Hyatt portfolios? Staying here has changed my (and my girlfriend's) perspective on places to stay going forward. Thanks in advance!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rsh145
Recently completed a 5 night stay here. Truly exceptional service and hard product throughout, and I will post a trip report soon. Does anyone have a recommendation for a property similar to this level of quality and service within the Marriott or Hyatt portfolios? Staying here has changed my (and my girlfriend's) perspective on places to stay going forward. Thanks in advance!
Depends on the elements you want in another luxury hotel/resort!

You can see the top Cat 8 properties (and even some Cat 7 and Cat 6) in Marriott Bonvoy for inspiration. And you can see the top Cat 7 and now SLH Cat 8 properties in WoH.

For me, the best Bonvoy options include the Gritti Palace Venice, Suiran Kyoto, RC Kyoto, Prince Gallery Tokyo, RC Tokyo, StR SF, SR New York, StR Florence, StR Rome, StR Punta Mita, StR Bahia Beach, Hotel Imperial Vienna, Al Maha Dubai, Prince de Galles Paris, Caresse Turkey, Edition Bodrum, etc. You might also like the StR Bora Bora, though its 10 yrs old and not quite the same level of hard product (but starting to renovate now and comparable still to the newer but also now renovating Four Seasons). Some others like the StR Bal Harbour a lot, too.

For me, the best Hyatt options include Ventana Big Sur, PH Maldives (not as nice as the StR), PH Sydney, PH Vienna, PH Paris, Alila Villas Uluwatu, and maybe the PH Milan, Andaz Tokyo, Andaz Maui, and Andaz Papagayo.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

You can see the top Cat 8 properties (and even some Cat 7 and Cat 6) in Marriott Bonvoy for inspiration. And you can see the top Cat 7 and now SLH Cat 8 properties in WoH.

For me, the best Bonvoy options include the Gritti Palace Venice, Suiran Kyoto, RC Kyoto, Prince Gallery Tokyo, RC Tokyo, StR SF, SR New York, StR Florence, StR Rome, StR Punta Mita, StR Bahia Beach, Hotel Imperial Vienna, Al Maha Dubai, Prince de Galles Paris, Caresse Turkey, Edition Bodrum, etc. You might also like the StR Bora Bora, though its 10 yrs old and not quite the same level of hard product (but starting to renovate now and comparable still to the newer but also now renovating Four Seasons). Some others like the StR Bal Harbour a lot, too.

For me, the best Hyatt options include Ventana Big Sur, PH Maldives (not as nice as the StR), PH Sydney, PH Vienna, PH Paris, Alila Villas Uluwatu, and maybe the PH Milan, Andaz Tokyo, Andaz Maui, and Andaz Papagayo.
I'd agree with most of the above. The hard product at PH Paris isn't the greatest, but service has always been top notch. One of my best stays was as the PH Tokyo as well. Certainly a bit of a muted vibe hard product wise, but service is simply stunning. PH Maldives service was great, and the hard product was about 85% as nice as the StR. Especially in the newer renovated villas. I stayed in a Deluxe Pool Villa and had a fantastic time.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:25 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
I'd agree with most of the above. The hard product at PH Paris isn't the greatest, but service has always been top notch. One of my best stays was as the PH Tokyo as well. Certainly a bit of a muted vibe hard product wise, but service is simply stunning. PH Maldives service was great, and the hard product was about 85% as nice as the StR. Especially in the newer renovated villas. I stayed in a Deluxe Pool Villa and had a fantastic time.
We really do seem to agree.

I think everyone agrees that the StR Maldives is superior to the PH Maldives.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:34 pm

Appreciate the input! Many more properties I will have to try. Of those listed, I have only tried the PH Tokyo and PH Milan and thought very highly of the service at both hotels.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:57 pm

Absolutely. I'd say StR is clearly the superior property on every front, EXCEPT the PH Maldives makes the best damn maldivian fish curry I've ever had in my life. The St Regis tried, and made a great attempt, but it wasn't nearly as good as the PH Maldives. But if you consider the cost differential you could argue if you get twice the experience as the PH Maldives. As a redemption, the PH Maldives at 25k per night is an amazing usage of points, so it can become a much friendlier option budget wise. Given the St Regis has a true kids club (an excellent one at that), I'd say that alone makes it worth the price difference (to me!).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:13 pm

For those who book a OWV, is there a specific villa to inquire about that has privacy and gets enough sun for a warm pool? Post 274 in the wiki no longer has a working image.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:12 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

From the JW Maldives thread, here is an intriguing comparison/contrast summary between the StR, New WA, and the soon to be opened JW (formerly the Viceroy). Credit again to worldtrav for this!

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
Villas :
WA is JW villas looks about the same. WA has much bigger pools. JW has bigger area feeling (what I can tell from videos). Bot are susceptible to small-medium waves. STR is much better, very premium looking, with pool on par with JW. STR fewer waves do to the shape of the lagoon.

Lagoon/Natural Beauty :
It all comes to what you value.
WA is man-made and lacks the endless shallow clear water. JW also has the same "problem", clear water doesn't extend out much. JW and WA have this hybrid color that you would find in carribean when clear water gets deeper. STR lagoon has a pretty large extent of shallow clear water, nothing near Gili Lankansuhi, Soneva Jani, Rihiveli.
WA Sand is reported to be rocky and sand-paper like in some areas (fake sand). JW is would suspect to have the nice norm sand in the Maldives. STR sand is the same but I learned that there were some things added to brighten the color when the resort was built.

Food: WA looks very good but extremely pricy (At least 80$ for dinner, $40 for Lunch). Buffet breakfast is more limited than that at STR. The menu is limited to simple everyday breakfeast foods. Not the variety that you would find at STR.

Service: STR can be spotty here and there. WA has some problems but sounds like they are working very hard on resolving them.

Price : I have stayed at STR. Planning on staying at WA next year.
This is what I would expect to pay for 3 people (non-drinkers) for 10 days.
STR : 2400 (Seaplane)+ 1100(3rd person breakfast)+5000-7000(food and drink and activities) = 8,500-9,500
WA : 2700 (Yacht Transfer, STRICTLY NO THIRD PARTIES) + 700(I don't know how much buffet breakfast is) + 7000-9000 (food and drink and activities) + 4800 (Grand reef upgrade) = 15200-17200 (I am actually debating canceling this trip and changing to Lux* North Atoll for 1350 a night (including taxes)+325(transfer) for full board, 4 3people.
JW : 1600 (seaplane) or even less with the opening of a new airport (SOUND OPEN TO PEOPLE WANTING TO SAVE MONEY AND FLY TO DOMESTIC AIRPORT UNLIKE WA)
food should be less than both STR and JW (Based on Viceroy menus)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
For those who book a OWV, is there a specific villa to inquire about that has privacy and gets enough sun for a warm pool? Post 274 in the wiki no longer has a working image.
I believe this is what you're looking for (actual room numbers have a 5 prior to it, so for example 44 would be 544).

Astrophsx and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:42 am

So it seems like for overwater villas that 505-507 are probably best options for warm pool plus privacy? With 501-504 being slightly worse but still acceptable for privacy. Is the pool for 522-528 really that cold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.