Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Busan, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
AIRPORT PICKUP
About US$90
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Busan, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Previous discussion was about this property leaving SPG portfolio in 2018 but I see it is still there. I'm chasing Platinum again and I am planning a stay in June. Does anyone know when it stop being an SPG property? Also, if it leaves SPG after I book but before I stay, would I still receive my night credits and SPG points?
I just booked an award stay for September with no trouble. I think they are staying for this year at least. Someone else on the forum mentioned that they threaten to leave fairly often and it may just be some kind of negotiating ploy.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I recently completed a 2-night stay at this hotel 2 weeks ago and will be returning there this weekend for another two night stay.

The place is nice. It's actually very nice as I had a comfortable stay with no issues at all. I was even granted a late checkout of 4 PM (left at 2 PM). The outside of the building is being cleaned/repaired/painted. The breakfast at the top floor area was very nice as well. I am unsure if I booked a reservation for the Executive level last time as it was a last minute booking as I wasn't sure I would be traveling into Seoul from Chuncheon. However, this weekend I book the into a non-exec room type. Will be interesting to see if I'm upgraded to the executive level upon checking in.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Anyone know how they treat platinum's at this property? I am scheduled for a points stay in mid-november and am curious to see what upgrades they offer platinums (and if there is a lounge)? I have read that the sauna on site is really nice.

thanks
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by randomeejit
Anyone know how they treat platinum's at this property? I am scheduled for a points stay in mid-november and am curious to see what upgrades they offer platinums (and if there is a lounge)? I have read that the sauna on site is really nice.

thanks
Staying there right now on points. I was upgraded, but used SNAs. The location is unexiciting but very central and convenient. The service is quite good. There is a nice lounge on the top floor. Overall I’m quite happy with my stay.
OneWorldLoyalist and osotoc like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
I had a paid stay at the Westin Chosun Busan for two nights as a PPE (soon to be Tit).
This is a very nice property that sits out facing Haeundae beach on one side, and a park on the other.

Upon check-in, I was recognized as a Platinum member and informed that I received an upgrade to an executive suite with a beach view. This was not something I asked for (either via SNA or just asking), so it was a very nice surprise. Upon entering the room, the TV was set to a message with a personalized note, and the bed had a small gift bag with two fortune cookies.

When the front desk was explaining lounge access to me, they informed me that I was invited to have breakfast in the restaurant, which was a nice surprise as well.

The lounge is a dedicated space on the 2nd floor (I guess no longer top floor it seems?), that has really terrible food for the evening happy hour.
The guacamole was very watery and looked like a sickly pale green. Like a mix of ranch and mashed avocado. It tasted how it looked. The salsa they had were clearly a jarred salsa like a tostitos wannabe brand or something.
No crackers or bread to go along with the cheeses/cured meats that were available.
They had two hot food choices each night. The first night was bacon-wrapped sausage and chopped steak. The second night was bbq wings and a sauteed shrimp dish I don't remember the name of. Despite how it may sound, the offerings were pretty bad as far as taste goes.
There was also a selection of fruits, which was the best stuff they had out for the evenings besides the booze.
Regarding the booze they had a variety of liquors, though nothing special. They had Jack Daniel's, Ballantine 12-year, Absolut, etc. For beer they had Cass and Budweiser. Of course there was a selection of different wines.
An interesting offering was that they had canned gatorade available, so that was kind of nice.

Breakfast in the restaurant was really good. Lots of variety, the french toast I especially enjoyed. They had Chinese, Japanese, Western, and Korean-style breakfasts
They also do offer breakfast in the lounge, which is still a pretty decent breakfast. Scrambled eggs and bacon, in addition to cereals, fruits, and breads.

I thought it was kind of funny that they had an Irish pub on-site called "O'Kim's". I had to explain to my wife (a native Korean), why I thought it was so funny.

Sauna/gym access was included in my stay, and it is very nice. Like other high-end gyms in Korea, everything is included. That means workout clothes, temp-use headphones, the hot tubs, the saunas/steam rooms, full showers, etc.

As said, the location is between a beach and a park, so beach access is available just by walking out the door. There is a cool setup of "pojang-machas" (tent-based restaurants) along the beach, and close access to a Busan City Bus Tour stop. You do have to walk a bit to get to convenience stores, but they're still close. Lots of hotels in the area along the beach, so expect to see travelers if you're exploring. The view from the room is pretty nice. Reminded me of the view I had at the Fountainebleau in Miami.

I was here during the Lunar New Year, and the beach was not too crowded, but I heard it was much more people than they usually have. Apparently in the summer the beach gets crazy crowded, so just FYI.

Anyway, if anyone has additional questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Definitely the best Plat option in Busan. The only other choice is limited service Haeundae Fairfield.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Those tent restaurants on the beach sound cold in winter.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Those tent restaurants on the beach sound cold in winter.
They use kerosene heaters inside. Warms up when you get in there.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently as a platinum and was treated very well.
Upgraded from "park view" on low floor to top floor (10th floor) with full view of Haeundae beach. Very nice upgrade.

The great views are really what make this property special. No other hotel in Busan has a view of the ENTIRE beach from the side like the Westin does. All the other hotels face the beach from the front, giving you only partial views, while the Westin (being on the side of very western edge of the beach) shows you the whole thing. If your room is not facing the beach, you are really missing out. Windows can be opened for fresh air, and you will hear the sounds of the beach waves all day and night which I loved.

The hotel lets you have breakfast in the ground floor main restaurant when your room includes lounge access, so you get both free breakfast AND the 1000 welcome points. I think the reason for this is that the lounge only opens at 11:00am...not earlier.

If you don't have lounge access (or a breakfast inclusive rate) then breakfast is a very pricey 45,000 KRW per person. If you don't have lounge access, then try to find a breakfast inclusive rate if you can, as it's probably going to be cheaper. Not the biggest selection for a 4 star hotel in asia, but everything I ate there was of a high standard. I was quite impressed by the high quality of the food. The breakfast dining room also has great views of the beach with huge windows.

Club lounge is located on the 2nd floor and is open every single day (including saturdays and sundays) and has really great views with massive floor to ceiling windows looking over all of Haeundae beach. Decent sized lounge with around 20 to 30 tables. Evening food is served from 18:00 to 20:00. Selection however was not huge and I recall only 2 warm options. However, they do change these from night to night. The lounge only opens at 11:00am (not earlier) and remains open until 17:00 (5pm) and during this time serves some cookies, small cakes, soft drinks/coffee and some fruit. It closes for an hour from 5pm to 6pm to prepare evening food.

A few issues that people need to be aware of:

-The nearest metro stations "Haeundae" and "Dongbaek" are both a 15 to 20 minute walk away. If you are pulling luggage or it's raining, forget about it.

-From what I saw on the official website, the last room rennovations were in 2003 and it shows. Everything is clean and in working order, but do not expect a super modern looking room. The common areas (reception, breakfast, bars) are all more modern and good looking, but the look of the rooms may leave you disappointed if you are shelling out a lot of cash each night for this place and are used to a more updated style. I didn't mind so much, cause my rate was reasonable, but others might.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Stayed here recently as a platinum and was treated very well.
Upgraded from "park view" on low floor to top floor (10th floor) with full view of Haeundae beach. Very nice upgrade.

The great views are really what make this property special. No other hotel in Busan has a view of the ENTIRE beach from the side like the Westin does. All the other hotels face the beach from the front, giving you only partial views, while the Westin (being on the side of very western edge of the beach) shows you the whole thing. If your room is not facing the beach, you are really missing out. Windows can be opened for fresh air, and you will hear the sounds of the beach waves all day and night which I loved.

The hotel lets you have breakfast in the ground floor main restaurant when your room includes lounge access, so you get both free breakfast AND the 1000 welcome points. I think the reason for this is that the lounge only opens at 11:00am...not earlier.

If you don't have lounge access (or a breakfast inclusive rate) then breakfast is a very pricey 45,000 KRW per person. If you don't have lounge access, then try to find a breakfast inclusive rate if you can, as it's probably going to be cheaper. Not the biggest selection for a 4 star hotel in asia, but everything I ate there was of a high standard. I was quite impressed by the high quality of the food. The breakfast dining room also has great views of the beach with huge windows.

Club lounge is located on the 2nd floor and is open every single day (including saturdays and sundays) and has really great views with massive floor to ceiling windows looking over all of Haeundae beach. Decent sized lounge with around 20 to 30 tables. Evening food is served from 18:00 to 20:00. Selection however was not huge and I recall only 2 warm options. However, they do change these from night to night. The lounge only opens at 11:00am (not earlier) and remains open until 17:00 (5pm) and during this time serves some cookies, small cakes, soft drinks/coffee and some fruit. It closes for an hour from 5pm to 6pm to prepare evening food.

A few issues that people need to be aware of:

-The nearest metro stations "Haeundae" and "Dongbaek" are both a 15 to 20 minute walk away. If you are pulling luggage or it's raininareasg, forget about it.
Agreed that Busan is definitely a car city. Public transit is not very convenient for most things including the Westin.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Are they leaving Marriott? I know they keep threatening to leave but noticed that they're not selling any rooms on Marriott's website starting 1/1/20. Looks like the Westin Chosun Seoul is selling rooms in 2020 so maybe it's just this property?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Are they leaving Marriott? I know they keep threatening to leave but noticed that they're not selling any rooms on Marriott's website starting 1/1/20. Looks like the Westin Chosun Seoul is selling rooms in 2020 so maybe it's just this property?
I read in the Korean press about closing for a renovation to better compete with all the new properties coming to Haeundae. Not sure dates but this could be it.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I read in the Korean press about closing for a renovation to better compete with all the new properties coming to Haeundae. Not sure dates but this could be it.
That would make sense, the rooms are quite dated but the service has been good IME.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Trying to book a 3-night award at this property. Only single twin beds with city view show available with points.

If paying cash, only single twin beds with beach view and several different rooms on the executive level are available. Is there some event happening or is this normal for a weekend in Busan in November? If I book the crappy single twin beds with city view I wonder what may chances are of getting a decent room upon check-in as a Titanium? I will hopefully have exhausted my 5 SNAs before arriving. Might I have more options if calling to book?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Trying to book a 3-night award at this property. Only single twin beds with city view show available with points.

If paying cash, only single twin beds with beach view and several different rooms on the executive level are available. Is there some event happening or is this normal for a weekend in Busan in November? If I book the crappy single twin beds with city view I wonder what may chances are of getting a decent room upon check-in as a Titanium? I will hopefully have exhausted my 5 SNAs before arriving. Might I have more options if calling to book?
Seems like there are two events going on that weekend at the nearby convention center. Maybe that's why the base room with one Queen bed isn't available on points or cash? I was upgraded to a suite last year as a Platinum, so they're pretty good about upgrades at check-in if the rooms are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.