Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Busan, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
AIRPORT PICKUP
About US$90
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Busan, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Just came back from this hotel - fully agree that the hotel is incredibly outdated and really needs a little touch up.

The corridors to the rooms reminds me of hotels in the 90s.

The lobby is very neat and nice though.

If you're from the train station I reckon you can take a taxi - it's a reliable means of transport there. Should cost around 20k Won.
nice
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
There's a sleek new Sheraton opening but in many years ahead... in 2021 with a possible later year. Looks very nice.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=4600

In the meantime I'm having a hard time to decide if I should stick with my Park Hyatt Busan reservation or switch to Westin Busan which is 50 euros cheaper for three nights in august. I'm trying to stay away from Hyatt as much as possible due to a BRG issue I had with them a couple of weeks back and just stay with SPG and Marriott. PHB looks actually really nice and fresh and Westin looks horribly outdated. Looks to me they haven't done anything for the past 20-30 years. Those small silver flat tv's could be from the beginning of 00s.
The SPG points would be nice as well especially with their promo Take Three they are running now. If go with PHB I suppose I could spend the PHB-points over at Hyatt Jeju on meals which is my last Hyatt reservation. Gotta think this through...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by joakgarp
In the meantime I'm having a hard time to decide if I should stick with my Park Hyatt Busan reservation or switch to Westin Busan which is 50 euros cheaper for three nights in august. I'm trying to stay away from Hyatt as much as possible... Gotta think this through...
I'd say my original comparison between the two properties from last year (posted above) is still very much accurate. The Westin remains dreadfully outdated but with sufficiently good service and superior location. I'd say that if you're planning to spend a lot of time inside the actual property then PH is the clear winner, but if not I'd probably lean towards the Westin given location, SPG benefits, and possibility to maximize current SPG Take Three promo.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
The Westin indeed is very outdated, and even had issues with unstable water temperature during shower. I usually stay at the Family Suite, and water has always been a problem at that Suite. Service is very good at Westin, but I feel that it is a bit far (except from the beach) from things that I am interested in. The food in the restaurant is only so so, and quality deteriorated over the years. They even arranged a taxi driver for me before that does not speak English and randomly took me to a place... which was a horrible experience...

For the Park Hyatt, I think it is a fine property. I like the location better myself personally, as I do not need the beach, and there are lots of small restaurants around the PH area. Service can be really good sometimes but so so other times. I like the breakfast at PH more than the Westin. On the other hand, PH's room has an issue with extremely small washroom. Even in a family suite that sleeps up to 4, it only has a very small washroom....
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by huhuhusky
The Westin indeed is very outdated, and even had issues with unstable water temperature during shower. I usually stay at the Family Suite, and water has always been a problem at that Suite. Service is very good at Westin, but I feel that it is a bit far (except from the beach) from things that I am interested in. The food in the restaurant is only so so, and quality deteriorated over the years. They even arranged a taxi driver for me before that does not speak English and randomly took me to a place... which was a horrible experience...

For the Park Hyatt, I think it is a fine property. I like the location better myself personally, as I do not need the beach, and there are lots of small restaurants around the PH area. Service can be really good sometimes but so so other times. I like the breakfast at PH more than the Westin. On the other hand, PH's room has an issue with extremely small washroom. Even in a family suite that sleeps up to 4, it only has a very small washroom....
I don't know if Shinsegae hotel group will put any money into renovating Westin Busan when they takeover in the new year but I would hope so. It's terribly dated and they charge too much for subpar...well everything.

A lot of the space at PH's family suite went into the living area and bedroom. It has 2 vanities and a standalone tub and a big shower stall. That bathroom is actually bigger than the Executive suites ones too. The only bathroom bigger than the Family suite are in the Diplomatic and Presidential suites.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
I don't know if Shinsegae hotel group will put any money into renovating Westin Busan when they takeover in the new year but I would hope so. It's terribly dated and they charge too much for subpar...well everything.

A lot of the space at PH's family suite went into the living area and bedroom. It has 2 vanities and a standalone tub and a big shower stall. That bathroom is actually bigger than the Executive suites ones too. The only bathroom bigger than the Family suite are in the Diplomatic and Presidential suites.
So the ownership/management of this place is the same as the Westin Chosun? Is this one leaving SPG too?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So the ownership/management of this place is the same as the Westin Chosun? Is this one leaving SPG too?
Yes, both will bow out in the new year.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Now that I've dropped to Hyatt Explorist I will probably choose this hotel for a weekend trip soon (this weekend or next) to use SPG Platinum benefits.

What is it with Westin Chosun here and in Seoul being severely dated?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Now that I've dropped to Hyatt Explorist I will probably choose this hotel for a weekend trip soon (this weekend or next) to use SPG Platinum benefits.

What is it with Westin Chosun here and in Seoul being severely dated?
Seoul is a bit better but this one for a long time was one of the top 2 beach and overall hotels in Busan. Complacency and lack of substantial investment hamper it now with Busan Hilton, renewed Paradise and Park Hyatt all around.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:12 pm

So I stayed in Busan for three nights. I liked the town a lot. Very different to Seoul.
Stayed one night on points over at Park Hyatt and then two at Westin busan. The two hotels are very different from each other but I'd choose Westin once again if I were to come back and if they would have stayed at Starwood.
Of corse Park Hyatt had a very nice standard with a huge room and bathroom. And that was only their basic Park Room. Their breakfast was huge as well. Let's just say you won't be disappointed with a Park Hyatt.
Westin is behind but the location of Westin is awesome. It's at the beach and that's why we wanted to visit Busan. The lobby and restaurant was nice as well so the hotel basically only need to upgrade their rooms. Rooms felt a bit 90s or beginning of 00s. Could be a mix.
Due to its location we felt there were a bit too many families having breakfast at the same time. Park Hyatt was for more 20s and above.

Suppose you can walk from Park hyatt to the beach but we couldn't when we were there in the end if august. It was way too hot for that.

It's a shame Westin will leave Starwood. I wouldn't stay here if I weren't a Spg member or if the hotel weren't a member of Starwood. Not sure when they will drop out but go for Westin if they are still available in the program.
Go for Park Hyatt when it's not summer.
Hilton looks good as well. Not sure where their hotel is located so must be a bit outside.
Looking forward to Sheraton's hotel in some years.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
So I stayed in Busan for three nights. I liked the town a lot. Very different to Seoul.
Stayed one night on points over at Park Hyatt and then two at Westin busan. The two hotels are very different from each other but I'd choose Westin once again if I were to come back and if they would have stayed at Starwood.
Of corse Park Hyatt had a very nice standard with a huge room and bathroom. And that was only their basic Park Room. Their breakfast was huge as well. Let's just say you won't be disappointed with a Park Hyatt.
Westin is behind but the location of Westin is awesome. It's at the beach and that's why we wanted to visit Busan. The lobby and restaurant was nice as well so the hotel basically only need to upgrade their rooms. Rooms felt a bit 90s or beginning of 00s. Could be a mix.
Due to its location we felt there were a bit too many families having breakfast at the same time. Park Hyatt was for more 20s and above.

Suppose you can walk from Park hyatt to the beach but we couldn't when we were there in the end if august. It was way too hot for that.

It's a shame Westin will leave Starwood. I wouldn't stay here if I weren't a Spg member or if the hotel weren't a member of Starwood. Not sure when they will drop out but go for Westin if they are still available in the program.
Go for Park Hyatt when it's not summer.
Hilton looks good as well. Not sure where their hotel is located so must be a bit outside.
Looking forward to Sheraton's hotel in some years.
​​​​​​
Very sad to see this property leave SPG; I found the service levels very good and enjoyed the hotel. Sauna is a very high standard facility too.

How did you find the Park Hyatt location? On the map it seems a bit isolated. At least Westin is on the beach and not too far from the subway station and the Haeundae main area.

Hilton is near one of the big temples and not a great location in terms of getting to other parts of Busan IMO.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:21 am

Very sad to see this property leave SPG; I found the service levels very good and enjoyed the hotel. Sauna is a very high standard facility too.

How did you find the Park Hyatt location? On the map it seems a bit isolated. At least Westin is on the beach and not too far from the subway station and the Haeundae main area.

Hilton is near one of the big temples and not a great location in terms of getting to other parts of Busan IMO.
Park Hyatt's location is alright. There were some resturants by the street so it's okay. But it's bad if you are looking for a walk to the beach as we planned to do. Especially during the summer heat in august. Doable though when it's less hot. When it's summer use a taxi instead.
I could see myself returning to PH now Westin's leaving SPG. My girlfriend liked the room alot in PH.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Busan Hilton is a disaster of a hotel. Charging for extra bottles of water, unable to keep guaranteed check-in times, horrible service, high prices and a bad location not even in Busan proper.

PH Busan's location is residential and quiet. It's got some restaurants and a big hypermart Homeplus if you want to self cater some stuff. You could walk to Centum city mall if so inclined.

​​​​​​
PH has a shuttle bus to Haeundae beach in the summer a few times a day. A lot of locals just do brunches there at both properties but PH has more facilities to handle the summer crowds.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:51 pm

Romantic Weekend in Busan

Hey all,

I am planning to take my wife on a 3 day, 2 night romantic weekend to Busan for her birthday in June and am trying to find the best place to stay. The PH sounds like the nicest and newest property around but I don't have any status with WoH. The Westin seems like a reasonable second choice albeit quite a bit older from what I am reading here. I have SPG Gold and have gotten upgraded to the executive level and allowed access to the lounge about 30-40% of the time this past year of travels with SPG/Marriott (more at Marriott to be honest). Is there a reasonable chance that I might get there here or just "higher floor or superior view?"

Currently, I can get a PH room for 15k Chase points or a room at the Westin for 16k SPG points per night.

Which do you think would be better in my case for a romantic weekend if my wife values a nice view, pool/beach access, convenience to attractions and a free/affordable breakfast?

Thank you in advance!
Old May 17, 2018, 1:30 pm

Previous discussion was about this property leaving SPG portfolio in 2018 but I see it is still there. I'm chasing Platinum again and I am planning a stay in June. Does anyone know when it stop being an SPG property? Also, if it leaves SPG after I book but before I stay, would I still receive my night credits and SPG points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.