Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Josun Busan, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
AIRPORT PICKUP
About US$90
Print Wikipost

The Westin Josun Busan, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by srt8-blue
Haeundae is quite a distance from the train station. I remember it being about a 30 minute cab ride.
There is a subway station within about 15 minutes walk of the hotel. It's the last one on the line iirc.
Old May 31, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just completed a 3-night stay here and really enjoyed the property. We were upgraded to a beautiful ocean view suite overlooking Haeundae beach and given lounge access. The breakfast in the lounge was excellent and among the best in the Asian properties I have stayed at. Fresh scrambled eggs, bacon, abalone congee, rice, kimchi, lots of fruit, etc. The evening happy hour was very good as well with beer, Chilean wine, and liquor. they snacks were okay, some days better than others. The location at this property is fantastic. An easy walk to the beach and a very enjoyable walking/jogging path behind the hotel with great views. The fitness center was also very large with most of the treadmills having a personal TV, they also provided free weights. The service was also very good and I would not hesitate to return on my next trip to Busan.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I will be staying at this property this upcoming weekend. Being only Gold, I didn't want to take my chances of not being offered an upgrade, so I booked an executive club level room with an ocean view. From what I understand, I should have the following amenities included with my rate: (1) Heavenly bed (2) Evening cocktails via lounge access (3) Breakfast (4) access to fitness center/sauna.

My questions for those that have been there to the property:
(1) Is it possible to get complimentary breakfast other than the "buffet" that is offered? (e.g. get breakfast at one of their restaurants instead?)
(2) Is their sauna "Korean"-styled sauna?
(3) Any other specific amenities I should ask for? (since it seems as though I should be more proactive at this hotel than the other ones)?

Thanks for your answers in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ddsohn
(2) Is their sauna "Korean"-styled sauna?
The answer to this one is a big YES.
Expect lots of naked men bathing in a large tub with you.

It is also worth noting that the services provided in this Sauna (i.e. shoe-shining service) only accepts cash ... i.e. you cannot sign any bills to your room (from my last visit during 2010).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:15 am

Very informative indeed, any idea of updated plat benefits at the hotel? Am due to be at the hotel this coming weekend as well.

Am also curious about the views from the rooms as there should be a fireworks festival happening over the weekend. Would it be recommended for me to be asking for a room facing the beach or the park to catch the show.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I am staying here today. This is a pretty nice property. A few annoyances here and there.

I arrived into Busan by train and took a cab to the hotel. I was originally planning to take the bus and got some directions online somewhere but couldn't find the right bus so I ended up just cabbing it. It took about 30 minutes or so and cost about 13,000 won.

There was only 1 other guest at one of the check in desks. There are 2 desks for SPG gold/platinum so I stood over there. There was 1 female employee doing nothing but she didn't acknowledge me. After the one guest left, they finally realized that I was standing there so she walked over to take care of my check in.

I will note that I am a Korean guy and that my entire conversation was in Korean. However, I am from the US and dress like guys from the US (meaning I wear jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, wear a backpack, etc.). Most Korean guys dress up in suits.

I asked if they had any nice rooms with a view of the beach. She said "well, I have you on the opposite side of the beach right now." I asked if she had any upgrades available and she said that they do for an extra fee. I said "ok, is that even if you're an SPG platinum guest?" and she said "oh" and then had a guy walk over. He came over and said that they have some beach view rooms available but there is an additional fee of 43,000 won. I said again "oh, is that even if you're SPG platinum?" and then he did some stuff and said "oh wait, I already have you upgraded to one of our suites..." He asked when I plan to check out and I told him around 11am. He has 12pm is standard but I can have 4pm if needed (good to see he offered that) but I told him it was not necessary.

I took the points for my platinum amenity. I asked what their local option was and he said a bottle of wine + fruit plate. Seemed pretty good actually but I took the points anyway.

Funny how it all works out like that. Anyway...

The room is great. It has a living room area, desk with a computer, a separate bedroom with queen bed, separate small kitchen with fridge, sink, etc. The bathroom is nice with entrances from the living room as well as bedroom. It is at the corner of the hotel but has a nice view of the beach.

The room has a nice coffee machine and includes 2 pods/day. There is also the complimentary water.

Unfortunately the fitness room and pool are closed for renovation. They open up tomorrow. I didn't ask about the sauna.

I am traveling with my family (wife + 5 year old kid). They asked if I have a child in my group and when I said yes, the guy gave me 2 passes for the buffet for breakfast since kids aren't allowed into the executive lounge.

After dropping off our stuff, we went down to the concierge desk. There was no one there so we went to the front desk again and spoke with the lady that originally helped me out. She walked over to the concierge desk and gave us some info on sightseeing, etc.

The room has it's own windows 7 computer. It seems to work well enough. There is an ethernet cable to plug in your own laptop. If your laptop only has wifi (e.g. my macbook air), then I believe you are SOL.

Overall this is a nice property and I did get a nice upgrade but it was a bit of a hassle having to ask for it twice and having to tell them that I'm an SPG platinum member twice. They gave me a small box of chocolate as a gift which was also nice.

Last edited by Rock72; Nov 8, 2011 at 7:19 am
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
minor followup.

i am a fairly technology friendly person. i am an early adopter of technology and always have the latest gadgets on me like an ipad, kindle, dslrs, etc.

but the room took me some time to figure out the basics. for example, i couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights. the lamps don't have switches and the one lamp that did have a switch, the switch didn't do anything. turns out that there is a "master" button near the front door. if you push that button everything turns on.

problem then is that everything turns on. i was trying to do some work in the middle of the night but every light turned on disturbing my kid sleeping in the bedroom so i had to turn it off via the master switch.

the next day i figured it out...there's another console next to the bed where you can control the lights for the bedroom. push the master button to turn everything on and then push buttons on that bedroom console to turn off those lights.

the sink has a stopper that was down so water wouldn't go down. there no pulley type thing behind the sink so i couldn't figure out how to drain the water. eventually i realized when the water finally drained (over an hour or so) that it says in really small letter "push" on the drain so if you push the drain it will pop up.

the toilet has one of those fancy bidet systems. nice stuff.

door locks are cool since you just wave your key. no need to slide it into a slot, wait for it to fail, then slide again, etc.

they have outlets for both european style and american style jacks. i'm assuming that the american style jacks are 110 volt but i don't know...my laptop power can do both so i just plugged it in and it worked well.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hello. Looking to come in by train from Seoul and out via air to KIX. Transport to PUS airport from Westin? Thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Hello. Looking to come in by train from Seoul and out via air to KIX. Transport to PUS airport from Westin? Thank you.
There's a hotel limousine bus that will take you to PUS albeit a few stops at other hotels near Westin prior to leaving for the airport. It's the cheapest/fastest way. I forgot how much it exactly costs, but it's somewhere between USD10-20 dollars one way per person. BTW, Westin is pretty far from PUS so plan for a long ride. Best
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you much appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:56 am

Sightseeing?

Hello. Seen people mention sightseeing. But what are the sights and how did you get there? Or is one to just enjoy the view from room/suite? Hope there is more to Pusan than that. Thank you.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Hello. Seen people mention sightseeing. But what are the sights and how did you get there? Or is one to just enjoy the view from room/suite? Hope there is more to Pusan than that. Thank you.
From the Westin, it is a very short and inexpensive cab ride to Haeundae beach. While not the greatest beach by far, there are many restaurants, shops, etc. There is also the fish market right by the beach. Also around the hotel are some walking trails. The hotel should be able to provide you with more information about sites and activities.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:09 pm

Thank you. That would be enough for my one night stay. How about any historical or cultural sights?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:21 pm

I booked a non-smoking deluxe room with two beds. I was upgraded to a executive room on the club floor which is a deluxe room with a PC in the room similar to what is common in Korean love and business hotels. Room reeked of smoke and had only one bed. I told them not only was one bed not going to work but neither was the smoke smell in a nonsmoking room. The offered a downgrade back to a deluxe room which I took. The deluxe room had a double and single bed in the same floor layout. Neither room faced the beach. Pretty disappointing. Part of our group is staying at the Park Hyatt Busan which is about 2 minutes away by cab and that is the property to stay. Both hotels are fully booked but the Hyatt is amazing. The view from my room there is just great. The Westin Chosin seems to be the old man of the area and it shows. The bathroom is depressing.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM
On the final night of a splendid 3 night stay here. I received an upgrade to an Executive Ocean View Suite without asking (this is my 4th stay here & first time upgraded to a suite). There seems to be quite a few Americans staying here for a ship/engineering contract and perhaps as a nod to them the club lounge served American style barbecue ribs which tasted better than any of the Voodoo Barbecue restaurants I frequent back in New Orleans. I'll be back this summer to see all the peeps on Haeundae Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.