Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by enthrop
SGS definitely sounds like the best breakfast option. So I'll make a definite note on that. And it was already on my radar because old SPG threads seem to keep comparing SGS vs Athenee LC. Can I assume it's in a convenient location for first time tourist?
It's an excellent location. The usual debate is whether Sukhumvit or the river is better for first time visitors. If you're going to stay on Sukhumvit, SGS is extremely convenient.

SGS: This is pretty silly, but, if there's no lounge, is there somewhere I can grab soda/water/coffee from for free at any time of day? I'm always like the convenience of ducking into lounge and stocking up on my liquids. I know I can always make a convenience store run.. but just asking. (Does Bangkok have convenience stores everywhere like Japan?)
You can get coffee in the Library for free all day (table service). I've never had to buy bottled water at SGS, they keep the rooms well stocked. If you do want to shop for snacks, there is a 7-11 on pretty much every block and a full grocery store about three minutes walk away (below the Robinson's).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Thanks all. Got one more question to add to my small list.

How does the St. Regis compare? It wasn't on my radar before because I have a mental block of being not able to afford a St. Regis. But I noticed it's both the same points & $$/night as the SGS (30k points/night, due to 5th free, or $137+tax on corp rate), which puts it on my radar now! I didn't realize SGS was one category (cat 5) above most of the other properties we had been discussing (which were cat 4s).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've only walked by the St. Regis, but it's in the same general neighborhood as the Renaissance and Courtyard. There's a Skytrain station in front.

Keep in mind that hotels are fairly cheap in Bangkok. $137.00 can get you quite a bit. Also, as far as ratings go, the Cat 4 JW or Ren or Suk57 would be a Cat 8-9 property in Europe or the US/Canada.

If you've never been to Bangkok, one thing you need to understand is that it will take quite a bit longer to get somewhere than it looks on a map. Roads are congested, sidewalks are congested, you usually cross a major street by talking a walkway over it rather than waiting on a crosswalk signal. If you walk, you'll walk a lot farther than you think you will

One thing you should do is map out some of the places you plan to go and see what's closest to you. Ratchaprasong - the area where the St. Regis, Renaissance, Hyatt and lots of other big hotels - is centered on the high-end shopping. It's quite a bit different than staying on Sukhumvit, even though it's the same road and only a mile away. If you're going there for wine and women, stay somewhere along Suk. If you want it a bit quieter or plan on doing shopping, then Ratchaprasong is a better fit. If you want it a lot quieter or if the idea of rubbing elbows with drunks and hookers and touts and everything else that makes Bangkok Bangkok is not your style, a place along the river or the Suk57 might be a better fit.

Last edited by catocony; Oct 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Literally every choice you mentioned is good. You can't to wrong.

I prefer LC Athenee because of combo of breakfast, pool and lounge plus I love suites. But I also like SGS esp because of Library and evening options, though I don't find rooms luxurious.

If you don't have a favorite go on choice. Never had a bad stay at a starwoid in Bangkok
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
SGS definitely sounds like the best breakfast option. So I'll make a definite note on that. And it was already on my radar because old SPG threads seem to keep comparing SGS vs Athenee LC. Can I assume it's in a convenient location for first time tourist?
Honestly, most if not all 4-5 star Starriott breakfast options are going to be memorable. I wouldn't let that sway you at all.

SGS benefits: "... multiple free breakfast options, open bar at the island-like swimming pool, a jazz club and a fun cocktail bar and all kinds of other Platinum benefits.". To confirm these are PLATINUM benefits, versus simply guest benefits? Like can a normal guest get open bar at the island-like swimming pool?. Because they definitely sound look good benefits, and above any other Platinum benefits I've seen in any other Marriott/SPG property I've stayed at, and it almost seems "too good to be true."
Instead of a normal lounge "concierge hour", several ex-Starwood properties have a "happy hour" which is essentially free food and drink (with a focus on premium alcohol) in quite nice venues. At the SGS they really take it to the next level where you have the option between some especially beautiful venues. Every guest is welcome in all the venues, but Platinums have a pretty wide selection to choose from to the degree where you'd have to be pretty pick to choose to pay for anything for the early evening. I'd comfortably prefer this to the few $150 a night Ritz Carlton Clubs that I've been to. [q[quote]If you've never been to Asia, or even to Thailand, it is probably going to be quite different from what you've seen before.

SGS: This is pretty silly, but, if there's no lounge, is there somewhere I can grab soda/water/coffee from for free at any time of day? I'm always like the convenience of ducking into lounge and stocking up on my liquids. I know I can always make a convenience store run.. but just asking. (Does Bangkok have convenience stores everywhere like Japan?)
I guess technically no. You have a minibar, room service, freebies at the Library and the SGS is connected to a phenomenal mall where you can get a 3 course meal which will blow your mind for about $5, so you won't starve or go thirsty Sukhumvit (while not the perfect location being suggested here in terms of environment) also had a lot of 7-11s

EuropeanPete's sarcastic comment -- Sorry, I don't get it. Are you saying.... go out and enjoy Bangkok instead of relying on a lounge's dinner spread?
I'm as guilty as anyone else in hiding in a hotel when I really "should" be out exploring a city like Bangkok. In my defense, it's usually because I got a bit carried away exploring the night before. My point was more that there's only so good a lounge is ever going to be - and in a city where you can eat like a king for $5 it's never going to be that good. When I'm in Bangkok I don't only have nights in the SGS because I am too hungover to leave the hotel, but also because the place offers really phenomenal service and experiences in its different venues. I just don't believe any conventional lounge no matter how well prepared the buffer or how well meaning the server could ever offer that.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Thanks all. Got one more question to add to my small list.

How does the St. Regis compare? It wasn't on my radar before because I have a mental block of being not able to afford a St. Regis. But I noticed it's both the same points & $$/night as the SGS (30k points/night, due to 5th free, or $137+tax on corp rate), which puts it on my radar now! I didn't realize SGS was one category (cat 5) above most of the other properties we had been discussing (which were cat 4s).
Having stayed at both, they were almost equally fantastic though I had a slightly better time at the StR due to better Plat recognition in particular:
1) an upgrade to a suite
2) Platinum HH (this was before the merger though and I hear they've since done away with it)
3) being marginally closer to the malls where I spent most of that trip

The things the SGS beat the StR on were:
1) absolute quality of breakfast, particularly at Rossini's
2) availability of family rooms (which is one big reason I'd decided to stay at the SGS instead of going back to the StR)
3) live music in the evenings

I don't think you can go far wrong on either option (and that StR rate is pretty great)!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Honestly, most if not all 4-5 star Starriott breakfast options are going to be memorable. I wouldn't let that sway you at all.
But if breakfast is important, one difference to consider is that the Marriotts with a lounge generally won't let you eat in the restaurant for free.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by catocony

8. Suk57 - which is what most of us call the Marriott there - is right beside a Skytrain station, but otherwise the location is meh. Read up on it, some like the location because it's quiet, but if you're not a homebody at night, it's Sytrain and taxis instead of a walk to get to things.
Suk57 is quiet? It's right at the mouth of Thong Lor with crazy amounts of bars and restaurants within a 10 min walk.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Suk57 isn't next to Nana Plaza like the JW. Compared to the rest of Sukhumvit, Soi 57 is quiet.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Suk57 isn't next to Nana Plaza like the JW. Compared to the rest of Sukhumvit, Soi 57 is quiet.
Fair, but a few minutes down Thonglor and you have Soul Food, Baan Ice and then the whole bar scene down near Thonglor Soi 10.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Compared to the rest of Sukhumvit, Thong Lor isn't a seedy den of whores. If that's what you mean by quiet then I'll agree.
EuropeanPete, rdlmitedu and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Hi wonderfully informed folks - One more question. I noticed that when I modified my hotel searches for 2 adults, prices went up. I normally don't see a "per adult" price at non-resort locations... how much do these hotels enforce that?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hi wonderfully informed folks - One more question. I noticed that when I modified my hotel searches for 2 adults, prices went up. I normally don't see a "per adult" price at non-resort locations... how much do these hotels enforce that?
Which hotels was this? I've never noticed this in Bangkok (though I've only ever stayed on the Starwood side).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:51 am

The changed prices may just be due to some promotional rate that may be available for single travelers or something like this.
Marriott hotels in Bangkok usually calculate rooms based on double occupancy. And since there's no per person tax (like in Tokyo) expect to pay the same price whether you stay alone or with another traveler.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:56 am

I noticed that when I modified my hotel searches for 2 adults, prices went up. I normally don't see a "per adult" price at non-resort locations... how much do these hotels enforce that?
Are you looking at a rate that includes breakfast? That will sometimes cause it to vary based on number of guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.