Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's easier to get Hilton Diamond than MR Platinum.
especially when you are willing to fork over $0 (net) for a credit card
Explore SE Asia likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by enthrop
So far, based on my own research, I've been eyeing the Renaissance, Athenee (although CL sounds like it's under renovation, so that may cross it off.. and official policy says Luxury Collection doesn't give CL access, but flyertalk reports say they have been), JW Marriott (actually a pretty good points value), or Sheraton Grand Sukhumit (SGS seems to have quiet a number of fanboys on the old Sheraton thread for this hotel). Open to any other properties though, if it hasn't made it onto my radar but recommended.
If you're interested in lounge, you might also consider the Marriott Marquis. I think the general consensus is that Ren, FS Marriott, and Marquis are all better options than JW (though there aren't many reports since JW started renovating rooms).

SGS does not have a lounge, but they offer Plats free drinks in the Library during happy hour (not sure what the hours are) and free coffee all day long.

Not sure we're clear how the properties are now handling Plat v. Plat Premier in terms of upgrades and other perks.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
especially when you are willing to fork over $0 (net) for a credit card
Yeah that's what I was referring to.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
If you're interested in lounge, you might also consider the Marriott Marquis. I think the general consensus is that Ren, FS Marriott, and Marquis are all better options than JW (though there aren't many reports since JW started renovating rooms).

SGS does not have a lounge, but they offer Plats free drinks in the Library during happy hour (not sure what the hours are) and free coffee all day long.
I'll look into the Marriott Marquis.. originally I had taken it off the list simply since the location looked further away. What is "FS Marriott"? Is the JW ranked "worse" from that list due to the need for renovations, or other reasons?

Oh, did not realize SGS does not have a lounge! Do they offer breakfast though for PP/P members?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll look into the Marriott Marquis.. originally I had taken it off the list simply since the location looked further away. What is "FS Marriott"?
MM is a little farther from BTS than the others, yes. FS is the full service Marriott at Soi 57 (Thong Lo).
Oh, did not realize SGS does not have a lounge! Do they offer breakfast though for PP/P members?
They have a fantastic breakfast benefit. You can eat either in Orchid Cafe which has an enormous buffet, or Rossinis, which has a smaller buffet (very high quality) and an entree off the menu. On weekends there are two additional options.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
MM is a little farther from BTS than the others, yes. FS is the full service Marriott at Soi 57 (Thong Lo).
Have they (MM) opened a passway (exit) through Benchasiri Park meanwhile? Last time I was staying they said it would be in planning..
would shorten the walking distance to BTS I imagine.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Every time I see FS Marriott I struggle to remember what that means. Couldn't we just calling Mar57 or some such? Most of the hotels are 'full service' hotels so calling it FS doesn't seem to be beneficial.

Anyway, I have visited the Mar57 and it is a good option. I stayed at the Marriott Marquis and it is a great property though a bit further from the trains. For a first visit I'd say go for the SGS and don't look back.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Every time I see FS Marriott I struggle to remember what that means. Couldn't we just calling Mar57 or some such? Most of the hotels are 'full service' hotels so calling it FS doesn't seem to be beneficial.

Anyway, I have visited the Mar57 and it is a good option. I stayed at the Marriott Marquis and it is a great property though a bit further from the trains. For a first visit I'd say go for the SGS and don't look back.
I would also definitely go for the SGS. No "lounge", but multiple free breakfast options, open bar at the island-like swimming pool, a jazz club and a fun cocktail bar and all kinds of other Platinum benefits. Incomparably better than a dull lounge with packets of crisps and the odd bottle of spirits.
UA-NYC and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet

Calling the Soi57 property the FS property goes back to the days before Marriott opened two more FS Marriotts in town. However, I would second your suggestion.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
[QUOTE=EuropeanPete;30290817 Incomparably better than a dull lounge with packets of crisps and the odd bottle of spirits.[/QUOTE]

This is a very inaccurate description of the lounges at the JW and the Ren, and even at the Courtyard. Having food available pretty much all day, with 3-4 hot options in the evening, high tea food and bev and even a light lunch, is not "packets of crisps".
Chris26WI and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Incomparably better than a dull lounge with packets of crisps and the odd bottle of spirits.
This doesn't sound right. Especially the JW has a good lounge with a very nice offering for dinner & drinks. You get your cocktails and longdrinks mixed by the staff and can even have the food brought to your table. Maybe they'll also bring a bag of chips if you ask nicely.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:31 am

Well since this timeless debate has reopened, put me in the "package of crisps" category. Some people value free alcohol and warming trays of mediocre free food over virtually everything else, while others just don't understand the lounge fixation. Especially in a city like Bangkok. And especially where the absence of lounge means you get a restaurant breakfast at a choice of multiple venues (i.e., at SGS).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by funkbandit
This doesn't sound right. Especially the JW has a good lounge with a very nice offering for dinner & drinks. You get your cocktails and longdrinks mixed by the staff and can even have the food brought to your table. Maybe they'll also bring a bag of chips if you ask nicely.
Of course for Bangkok I was slightly exaggerating, but no lounge in the world has as nice ambiance as La Sala by the pool, no lounge has as good music as world-famous live jazz and no lounge has the atmosphere of BarSu where your lounge attendant will lead you in a spirited dance of Cotton Eyed Joe. Obviously some lounges do have table service, alcohol options and passable food, but within the context of a closed room.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Wow, lots of active discussion since I went to bed last night.. and all very insightful! A few follow ups from me to all those better informed:
  1. The stickied first post of this thread recommends Renaissance for first time travelers, partially due to the convenience of access to public transit. Is this still true, or is that recommendations either dated or simply an opinion.
  2. Kacee, you mentioned JW as the bottom of a small list of properties. Why is that? I've been reading TripAdvisor reviewed of Renaissance vs JW, and there seems to be a lot of support for JW.
  3. SGS definitely sounds like the best breakfast option. So I'll make a definite note on that. And it was already on my radar because old SPG threads seem to keep comparing SGS vs Athenee LC. Can I assume it's in a convenient location for first time tourist?
  4. SGS benefits: "... multiple free breakfast options, open bar at the island-like swimming pool, a jazz club and a fun cocktail bar and all kinds of other Platinum benefits.". To confirm these are PLATINUM benefits, versus simply guest benefits? Like can a normal guest get open bar at the island-like swimming pool?. Because they definitely sound look good benefits, and above any other Platinum benefits I've seen in any other Marriott/SPG property I've stayed at, and it almost seems "too good to be true."
  5. SGS: This is pretty silly, but, if there's no lounge, is there somewhere I can grab soda/water/coffee from for free at any time of day? I'm always like the convenience of ducking into lounge and stocking up on my liquids. I know I can always make a convenience store run.. but just asking. (Does Bangkok have convenience stores everywhere like Japan?)
  6. EuropeanPete's sarcastic comment -- Sorry, I don't get it. Are you saying.... go out and enjoy Bangkok instead of relying on a lounge's dinner spread?
  7. JW/Ren/MM lounges for dinner -- Getting a little lost in what's sarcastic vs realistic in terms of offering "a package of crisps." My last trip to Asia was Marriott Beijing & Shanghai, where both had decent dinner spreads (although I still preferred eating out to experience authentic fare). Is "package of crisps" referring to a decent spread, but one you wouldn't write home about? Or more like the US ones where they give you nachos and over microwaved pasta?
  8. I had read that the newly Christianized "Mar57" was not as convenient for tourist activities as some other locations. Is that not true?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:01 pm

1. SGS: This is pretty silly, but, if there's no lounge, is there somewhere I can grab soda/water/coffee from for free at any time of day? I'm always like the convenience of ducking into lounge and stocking up on my liquids. I know I can always make a convenience store run.. but just asking. (Does Bangkok have convenience stores everywhere like Japan?)
I'd say the density of 7-11's (and other convenience stores) in Bangkok is as high, if not higher, than the density of conbini in Tokyo.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Wow, lots of active discussion since I went to bed last night.. and all very insightful! A few follow ups from me to all those better informed:
  1. The stickied first post of this thread recommends Renaissance for first time travelers, partially due to the convenience of access to public transit. Is this still true, or is that recommendations either dated or simply an opinion.
  2. Kacee, you mentioned JW as the bottom of a small list of properties. Why is that? I've been reading TripAdvisor reviewed of Renaissance vs JW, and there seems to be a lot of support for JW.
  3. SGS definitely sounds like the best breakfast option. So I'll make a definite note on that. And it was already on my radar because old SPG threads seem to keep comparing SGS vs Athenee LC. Can I assume it's in a convenient location for first time tourist?
  4. SGS benefits: "... multiple free breakfast options, open bar at the island-like swimming pool, a jazz club and a fun cocktail bar and all kinds of other Platinum benefits.". To confirm these are PLATINUM benefits, versus simply guest benefits? Like can a normal guest get open bar at the island-like swimming pool?. Because they definitely sound look good benefits, and above any other Platinum benefits I've seen in any other Marriott/SPG property I've stayed at, and it almost seems "too good to be true."
  5. SGS: This is pretty silly, but, if there's no lounge, is there somewhere I can grab soda/water/coffee from for free at any time of day? I'm always like the convenience of ducking into lounge and stocking up on my liquids. I know I can always make a convenience store run.. but just asking. (Does Bangkok have convenience stores everywhere like Japan?)
  6. EuropeanPete's sarcastic comment -- Sorry, I don't get it. Are you saying.... go out and enjoy Bangkok instead of relying on a lounge's dinner spread?
  7. JW/Ren/MM lounges for dinner -- Getting a little lost in what's sarcastic vs realistic in terms of offering "a package of crisps." My last trip to Asia was Marriott Beijing & Shanghai, where both had decent dinner spreads (although I still preferred eating out to experience authentic fare). Is "package of crisps" referring to a decent spread, but one you wouldn't write home about? Or more like the US ones where they give you nachos and over microwaved pasta?
  8. I had read that the newly Christianized "Mar57" was not as convenient for tourist activities as some other locations. Is that not true?
1. The Skytrain station is right in front of the Renaissance. You walk out the front and into the next building, where you can take the elevator up to the 3rd floor and walk straight into the station. It's also the start of the elevated walkways along the Skytrain. You can walk quite a ways down to hit all of the malls/shopping areas along that strip.

2. The JW has been undergoing a slow renovation for some time. Aside from that, the bathrooms are a weird design and there isn't much of a pool. Depending on how you look at it, it's go views right down on Soi 4, which is one of the louder booze and hooker areas in Bangkok.

3. The Sheraton Grand is a good location for tourists. It's right by a SkyTrain station and pretty close to a Subway station. Terminal 21 is across the street, which is loaded with restaurants.

4 and 5. I've never stayed at the Sheraton but in general, I do what you do and treat the lounge like a convenience store. I want a good breakfast, some evening food around 6:00 PM since I usually don't eat dinner until very late in BKK, and lots of snacks and beverages during the day. The Marriott lounges are this. Heavy breakfast (both Western and Asian foods), light foods (sandwiches and deserts) through the late morning and afternoon, then a light dinner/heavy appetizers and desserts from 5:30 or so until 9:00 or so at night. Open bar, yes limited but free flowing. Then open till 11:00 PM or so for snacks. Bottles of water and sodas, juices, teas and coffees all day. Note that at the Renaissance and Courtyard, you can have breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. Both are pretty much full buffets in both the lounge and restaurant.

6. For anyone who gets condescending because you want to get a quick light dinner in the lounge instead of going to a restaurant, I guess my reply would be why sit around hotel bars and restaurants when you could be out enjoying the city. I couldn't tell you how the bars or restaurants in pretty much any hotel in the world is because I treat the restaurants as coffee shops - breakfast only. I'll supplement meals with a lounge visit - the JW is pretty close to a full heavy meal, the Ren less so - but I"m in and out of the hotel all day and night.

7. The lounges at all of the Marriott hotels are pretty well described in this thread. They're not US lounges, where breakfasts are usually decent but there's nothing during the day and the evening stuff can be a cheese plate and cold cuts - if you're lucky. Maybe a cake for dessert but frequently just some cookies, and booze isn't included. Bangkok lounges are far better than European and South American ones, which are massively better than US/Canadian ones.

8. Suk57 - which is what most of us call the Marriott there - is right beside a Skytrain station, but otherwise the location is meh. Read up on it, some like the location because it's quiet, but if you're not a homebody at night, it's Sytrain and taxis instead of a walk to get to things.
enthrop likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.