Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 7:46 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by escape4
I thought normally hotel reviews should be in threads dedicated to individual hotels rather than in the threads which contain a discussion of all hotels in a city. However surprisingly I did not find a thread for Renaissance Bangkok and there is already another review of Ren posted in here so I thought I would also post here, but it might be more suitable to move my review to a brand new thread - mods please take action if needed.
I usually create hotel threads when I encounter this situation/

Thanks for the great review. Seems like the Ren is an alright option, but not competitive in the BKK market. Nice enough, but the Surawongse Marriott and LM are better.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by helvetic
I usually create hotel threads when I encounter this situation/

Thanks for the great review. Seems like the Ren is an alright option, but not competitive in the BKK market. Nice enough, but the Surawongse Marriott and LM are better.
I read lots of good comments about Marriott Surawongse (including from yourself - thanks!) and we are all set to try it next month. I have been to LM before and indeed I like it. However it is not as clear for me as for you that LM is superior to Ren, I see positives and negatives for both. People who care about having a lounge and people who want prime location will prefer Ren. People who prefer a great drinking venue for happy hour (and Prosecco for breakfast!) and the more generous room upgrades will gravitate to LM. Personally I will pick one or the other depending on the nature of my trip, but as stated in my review since I normally put less value on location when in Bangkok I think LM is a better fit for me because some people dislike the location of LM and prices can be lower as a result, but that's just me. In addition I should say that LM is easier for BRG so while both properties have similar prices on average, for BRG users LM can be had for cheaper; I am a frequent BRG user - another reason why LM is more up my alley. Bottom line I agree with you that LM > Ren but the margin is more modest than I previously thought, and I can easily see several traveller types for whom Ren will be better.
helvetic likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
However it is not as clear for me as for you that LM is superior to Ren,
Indeed . . . many (me included) would consider the Ren location considerably better than LM's.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:16 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I read lots of good comments about Marriott Surawongse (including from yourself - thanks!) and we are all set to try it next month. I have been to LM before and indeed I like it. However it is not as clear for me as for you that LM is superior to Ren, I see positives and negatives for both. People who care about having a lounge and people who want prime location will prefer Ren. People who prefer a great drinking venue for happy hour (and Prosecco for breakfast!) and the more generous room upgrades will gravitate to LM. Personally I will pick one or the other depending on the nature of my trip, but as stated in my review since I normally put less value on location when in Bangkok I think LM is a better fit for me because some people dislike the location of LM and prices can be lower as a result, but that's just me. In addition I should say that LM is easier for BRG so while both properties have similar prices on average, for BRG users LM can be had for cheaper; I am a frequent BRG user - another reason why LM is more up my alley. Bottom line I agree with you that LM > Ren but the margin is more modest than I previously thought, and I can easily see several traveller types for whom Ren will be better.
Can totally see how it not be the case for everyone. I'm likely similar to you in that I don't care about location in BKK that much. There's so much to do all around that I'll be moving constantly anyways so at the end of the day it's all the same. Also the BTS is crappy enough I rarely use it so proximity to it isn't a huge factor either.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I can't decide where to stay in late October. First trip to BKK, will be there by myself for tourism purposes (food, temples, historic places, etc.) Not interested in "social" activities. Probably will spend 4 nights and am looking for a good hard product with high upgrade potential in a non-seedy area, good breakfast (restaurant buffet is a good plus,) and decent evening food options in the lounge. I don't drink which seems to put the SGS at a less advantageous position. Being close to subway is a plus (assuming it is a good method to get to the tourist sights.)

Here are the candidates in my price range, with price per night:
ROS: 4.1k THB
Surawongse: 4.1k THB
LM: 3.9k
Athenee: 3.8k
Westin: 3.6k
QP Sukhumvit Soi 22: 3.2k
Sukhumvit Soi 57: 4.0k
JW: 4.8k (probably needs to be significantly better than the rest)

Leaning towards the Athenee or maybe the Suraongse? Also have SNAs available if there are some unique suites worth using them on - but would prefer to save them. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old May 28, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I can't decide where to stay in late October. First trip to BKK, will be there by myself for tourism purposes (food, temples, historic places, etc.) Not interested in "social" activities. Probably will spend 4 nights and am looking for a good hard product with high upgrade potential in a non-seedy area, good breakfast (restaurant buffet is a good plus,) and decent evening food options in the lounge. I don't drink which seems to put the SGS at a less advantageous position. Being close to subway is a plus (assuming it is a good method to get to the tourist sights.)

Leaning towards the Athenee or maybe the Suraongse? Also have SNAs available if there are some unique suites worth using them on - but would prefer to save them. Thoughts? Thanks!
I have never stayed at either ROS or the Westin but I would suggest at those prices you kill both - much better options on that list unless you are desperate to be by the river (and I would chose a non-Marriott hotel rather than ROS in that case anyway). Surawongse is a superb hotel as a Titanium but if you want to rely on the Metro is not ideal as the nearest station requires a shuttle bus or an uncomfortably hot walk - it’s better for non-first time visitors who get taxis. As much as I’ve been critical of it recently the Athenee might be the best match on that list in terms of location, quality and price.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Some
Also to add, some would consider both LM and Surawongse to be in a ‘seedy’ area if that’s an issue for you. I find the non-Surawongse Marriotts too big and impersonal/low quality which means I avoid them but others seem to like them so possibly down to personal preference. Are SGS, St. Regis and the W much more expensive?
Old May 28, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

You don't want Surawongse, it's too out of the way.

Athenee would be a good choice, or perhaps Marriott Soi 57. I don't drink and I love SGS, but the hard product is a bit dated. The service and overall experience are fantastic, as is elite recognition and breakfast. StR has very good hard product, but perhaps too expensive for your dates? ROS is a wild card. Good location for first time visitor.

Note the subway in Bangkok is the MRT. The skytrain is BTS. BTS is generally more useful for visitors, as it runs down Sukhumvit and to the river.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

Best odds of upgrade is ROS and location is interesting for first time visitor, but that property can often be found below 3k so at 4.1k THB for your dates it's unfortunately overpriced, no way I would pay more for ROS than Athenee.

Athenee is very solid value below 4k THB but upgrades are not always so easy. If MMQP is good value at 3.2k THB with better chances for upgrades than Athenee if you care about it, but a notch below in terms of luxury and if you don't get upgraded the room will be far inferior to the entry level room at Athenee with poor soundproofing. You really need that upgrade if you go to MMQP. I would not pay more for Marriott 57 than for Athenee. JWM is ok but not always great value, Westin upgrades are stingy, LM is a good choice but location not ideal for you and you do not drink so a hotel with a lounge (= some decent hors d'oeuvres) would seem a better fit for you rather than hotels which offer mostly drinks for happy hour, for example SGS and LM.

Bottom line, my two choices for you would be Athenee or MMQP.

Last edited by escape4; May 28, 2019 at 5:55 am
Old May 28, 2019, 8:00 am

I’m not sure Surawongse would be a great choice for first time in Bangkok, and especially so for one without an interest in “social activities “ ( maybe also true for LeM).
I’d leap at those rates for Westin and Athenee ( they’re not going to get cheaper than that). ROS probably will get cheaper ( unless they have a major event on).
October is nice...still a bit wet but bearable ( and better than September in the Rain).
Old May 28, 2019, 8:24 am
kkl

Athenee 200 baht more over Westin would be a no brainer.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Are SGS, St. Regis and the W much more expensive?
Somewhat, and the lack of a lounge is a big drawback.

SGS: 5.0k
St Regis: 7.0k
W: 4.6k

I love my evening juice, fruit, and desserts .

Originally Posted by Kacee
Note the subway in Bangkok is the MRT. The skytrain is BTS. BTS is generally more useful for visitors, as it runs down Sukhumvit and to the river.
Thanks.

Sounds like the Athenee is the winner at the current pricing. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by GoSh4rks; May 28, 2019 at 12:39 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... the lack of a lounge is a big drawback.
I much prefer a hotel without a lounge. At SGS and LM, happy hour cocktails and hors d'oeuvres are in the regular bar (choice of four at SGS, including by the pool), with full bartender and waitperson service, as well as extensive menus to order slightly heavier food. Breakfast is at the regular buffet, not limited to the subset of choices which they put in the lounge. Elite members at SGS can also choose the "Executive Breakfast" in Rossini's, where juices and cooked items are made fresh for each order, rather than put out as on a buffet.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I much prefer a hotel without a lounge. At SGS and LM, happy hour cocktails and hors d'oeuvres are in the regular bar (choice of four at SGS, including by the pool), with full bartender and waitperson service, as well as extensive menus to order slightly heavier food. Breakfast is at the regular buffet, not limited to the subset of choices which they put in the lounge. Elite members at SGS can also choose the "Executive Breakfast" in Rossini's, where juices and cooked items are made fresh for each order, rather than put out as on a buffet.
SGS will also provide a fruit plate, which is replenished daily.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott
Which Marriott

I will be in Bangkok for 3 days, but have work all 3 days from noon until 10 pm. I would like to do some running tours during the morning before I have to get started. I am leaning towards the full service Marriott properties - Marriott The Surawongse, Marriott Sukhumvit, or Marriott Marquis Queen's Park. I want to get a feel for the city during morning run and as I travel via taxi. All 3 hotels are about 3 miles and 20 minutes from the location I will be going to every day. I have never been to Bangkok, and I don't know the areas of town at all. What would be the pros and cons of those three places?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.