Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Which hotel would be best for two families? We have 3 PLAT members, 2 kids 13y/o, 2 kids under 13 and a 2.5yr old. We will be booking 3 rooms with points and would like to have to get the breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge. We would like to near the street food area if possible.

Which hotel would you guys recommend?

Last edited by anaggie; Aug 4, 2019 at 3:06 pm
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:07 pm

For those who have stayed at both Renaissance and Courtyard (or know the area), how close are the two? Google maps doesn't seem that accurate (saying it's a 15m walk). Reason I ask is because I already have a few nights booked at CY (paid for me), and I want to add an extra night. Currently Ren is a bit cheaper but if it's a hassle to get there, I rather just book at CY (plus a high chance I'll just get the same room for both bookings).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aimango
For those who have stayed at both Renaissance and Courtyard (or know the area), how close are the two? Google maps doesn't seem that accurate (saying it's a 15m walk).
10-15 minutes is about right. There's no direct route.
aimango likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by aimango
For those who have stayed at both Renaissance and Courtyard (or know the area), how close are the two? Google maps doesn't seem that accurate (saying it's a 15m walk). Reason I ask is because I already have a few nights booked at CY (paid for me), and I want to add an extra night. Currently Ren is a bit cheaper but if it's a hassle to get there, I rather just book at CY (plus a high chance I'll just get the same room for both bookings).

Thanks in advance.
If the extra night is at the end of your stay at the CY, you have the option of taking the CY tuk tuk to Chitlom BTS. The tuk tuk's normal drop off point is just past the walkway into Maneeya Center. Thus, if you are travelling light you can ask the driver to drop you a few feet early and have a 2 minute walk to Ren. Note that this doesn't work as well in reverse given the unpredictable timing of the tuk tuk but you could always phone the CY and request.
aimango likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Hi all,

Titanium member here, researching a 5 night visit to Bangkok, looking at points redemption for the Courtyard (17,500) or the Sheraton Royal Orchid (17,500). Looks like location of the Courtyard is better, but Sheraton sounds like it'd be theoretically better than Courtyard (branding/marketing wise). Does anyone have any thoughts on the two? Priority for me would be to get a decent breakfast and lounge happy hour Access to public transit and convenience to sightseeing is important too.

Reading some threads, sounds like Courtyard might be slightly aheadn (Courtyard, you get breakfast in Momo café, and the lounge happy hour looked ok, very convenient to subway). For Sheraton Royal Orchid, sounds like a nice property, decent lounge, but not as convenient to public transit. Would appreciate any insight from anyone who's stayed at the two and can directly compare.

I've stayed at Courtyards in Hong Kong (both Sha Tin and Hong Kong Island) as well as Seoul - overall, I'm very impressed with Courtyards in Asia so sounds like I can't go wrong with the Courtyard Bangkok.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
Hi all,

Titanium member here, researching a 5 night visit to Bangkok, looking at points redemption for the Courtyard (17,500) or the Sheraton Royal Orchid (17,500). Looks like location of the Courtyard is better, but Sheraton sounds like it'd be theoretically better than Courtyard (branding/marketing wise). Does anyone have any thoughts on the two? Priority for me would be to get a decent breakfast and lounge happy hour Access to public transit and convenience to sightseeing is important too.

Reading some threads, sounds like Courtyard might be slightly aheadn (Courtyard, you get breakfast in Momo café, and the lounge happy hour looked ok, very convenient to subway). For Sheraton Royal Orchid, sounds like a nice property, decent lounge, but not as convenient to public transit. Would appreciate any insight from anyone who's stayed at the two and can directly compare.

I've stayed at Courtyards in Hong Kong (both Sha Tin and Hong Kong Island) as well as Seoul - overall, I'm very impressed with Courtyards in Asia so sounds like I can't go wrong with the Courtyard Bangkok.

Thanks in advance!
Courtyard lounge is great, similar to the other Marriotts in BKK as far as food and service. Sheraton is a run down hotel not near any convenient public transport. Unless being riverside is a priority, I’d go courtyard.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Although the CY Bangkok offers breakfast, lounge, and closer access to downtown areas, I disagree with the above poster - the Royal Orchid Sheraton (ROS) is the better choice!

Your requirements of decent breakfast, lounge, access to public transit and convenience to sightseeing are all met with a stay at the ROS. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to Saphan Taksin BTS station (elevated light monorail system) for easy access to "downtown" areas. The Orange Express boat passes right by the ROS and actually makes a stop at the pier next to it giving you direct access to the major temples and palaces up river. For shopping or dining, the property is located across the river form ICONSIAM, the newest megamall addition to Bangkok. There is also a comped shuttle to Asiatique for further shopping or dining.

ROS is a boat ride away fro Bangkok major attractions

ICONSIAM across the river from the ROS - there is a comped shuttle boat to ferry people back & forth

Chaophraya Express Boat (the Orange boat) that will take you to temples and palaces

Breakfast at the river - ROS

Views from the ROS' lounge

Historic buildings dotting the riverside between Saphan Taksin and the ROS

The Courtyard Bangkok
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to Saphan Taksin BTS station (elevated light monorail system) for easy access to "downtown" areas.
I would not call the trip to Sukhumvit "easy." It would take minimum 45 minutes, and two changes, to get to, say Terminal 21. It can be quite fatiguing in the Bangkok heat.

That said, I don't think it's an obvious choice one property or the other. Decision hinges on whether OP would rather be on the river or near Sukhumvit.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Thanks travelinmanS, Kalboz and Kacee - appreciate your input/context - your data points make this a tough choice for me. I am sold looking at Kalboz's pictures, but at the same time, "easy" access to tourist sites via public transit is important to me (and the 45 minutes context with 2 line changes from Kacee gives me some pause). I had also considered aloft (at 12,500 points per night), but no lounge and what sounds like mediocre breakfast tipped me to consider "splurging" on the extra 5k per night for either Courtyard or ROS.

Was hoping on a no-brainer, but that is the nature of the no obvious choice as Kacee points out. Reading the ROS thread, it sounded like ROS was an amazing property from 2007-2015 or so, and has been going downhill ever since (hence, when I saw travelinmanS's note about the ROS being run down, it reminded me of the disappointment I felt when I stayed at the Shelbourne in Dublin as I did not experience the amazing Lounge or breakfast in the restaurant that folks had described in the reviews/trip reports with the downgrade/eventually closure of their Heritage Lounge and no free breakfast on weekends). My trip report for the Shelbourne was among the initial reviews/trip reports of the downhill skid for that property.

So... to be on river or to be near Sukhumvit.. will need to do some more research. I think overall, I can be content with the boats (since on vacation), but did want easy access to all the tourist sites (Grand Palace, Wat Arun Ratcharwaram, Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Chatuchak Market, Wat Traimitr Witayaram Worawihan temple, Lumphini Park (which the CY is near)).

Are there any other tie breakers? Lounge wise, I saw pictures of the CY having little shot glasses of food (reminds me of the Santiago Marriott), how are the offerings in the ROS Lounge - similar shot glass setup, or the chrome dome/serving dishes? Or is the quality of the food and alcohol similar for both? I also read about tour groups ruining the experience at the ROS. How are the gym / spa areas at both? Any comment on which one feels more "upscale"? (based on Kalboz's post, sounds like ROS is more upscale despite the rooms and other areas being rundown (based on the ROS thread)). Oh, I suppose a decent chance at a suite upgrade might help too, sounds like CY is near impossible whereas the upgrade chances for ROS are a little higher.

Thanks again for all your input -

Last edited by HankAAFlyer; Jul 27, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
There is something to be said for being on the River your first visit to Bangkok. Also the major tourist sites, which are along the river would be easier to get to from the ROS.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
To me, Courtyard is JUST a Courtyard, not full service hotel. I will choose Sheraton over Courtyard anyday.
Kalboz and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
Thanks travelinmanS, Kalboz and Kacee - appreciate your input/context - your data points make this a tough choice for me. I am sold looking at Kalboz's pictures, but at the same time, "easy" access to tourist sites via public transit is important to me (and the 45 minutes context with 2 line changes from Kacee gives me some pause).
So just to be clear, most tourist sites are more easily accessed from the river, so ROS would be more convenient for that.

You would go to Sukhumvit for shopping and nightlife. Lumpini Park is nice for running or walking, but it is not really an attraction on its own (like Central Park, for example).
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:41 pm

I’d choose ROS. It’s not in any way ‘rundown ‘, has one of the very best lounges, public transport is relatively easy ( even considering the 45 minutes to terminal 21 by boat/BTS/ approx 100 Baht /USD 3 in a taxi ...but the traffic can be a PITA). Far and away the best value in Bangkok.
Four Points is another option , although no lounge.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:52 pm

I just had my first and only stay at the Royal Orchid a month ago with family. We had been traveling a lot, so we ended up taking it very easy the five nights we were there. We had come from a very modern LeMeridian in Chiang Mai and had one of the nicest hotel experiences we've ever had with outstanding service and upgrades, so we were expecting a let-down no matter what. By comparison, the Royal Orchid did feel old and dated, but that was in comparison with the LM. It really was a more traditional hotel with a typical room, rather than the super-large modern suite we were upgraded to in Chiang Mai. I will certainly vouch for the location of the Royal Orchid. For us, it was amazing just taking boats up and down the river everywhere and I spent a lot of time in the hotel room and in the lounge watching the boats go up and own the river. The lounge was nice. It reminded us very much of a 60s-style hotel lounge with a bar for making drinks, definitely not self-serve. While we did some tourist sites, the two things we really enjoyed was the Iconsiam mall across the river accessed by courtesy shuttle and the outdoor Asiatique downriver, both accessed via courtesy boats. While the top 6 or 7 floors of Iconsiam are typical shopping mall, the bottom two floors are completely unique with Thai-style shops, water-ways, and food vendors. I expected the prices to be outrageous, but they were more or less the same as what they were in Chinatown, even though we were in air-conditioned comfort and we didn't have to bother bartering.

We ended up spending much more time here than we expected to, not having even wanted to visit until it was suggested by someone at the hotel as a good place to get food. The other easily accessible place by courtesy boat was Asiatique downriver. This had a great deal of shopping, but also restaurants and bars and bands on the nights we visited. In sum, while the hotel is a bit dated, I've stayed at MANY Bonvoys that were in much worse condition. There were no problems, no mold, toilets flushed, etc. Everything was functional and clean. The lounge was nice, with beautiful views and the service was very good. I really can't imagine a better location.
HankAAFlyer and Kalboz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.