Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New York City EDITION [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York City EDITION [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
My wife and I stayed there for a week last September on a Pointsavers redemption and loved it.

Our experience was very different from that of some in that we found the hotel to be remarkably quiet.

The location (Madison Park) is great and there are excellent restaurants in the area. 11 Madison Park is still closed, but there are many others in the vicinity.

I think you will will have a great time.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
My experience is that chances are low, but like anything availability is most important factor. I for one do not like the Edition hotels b/c of the lack of elite Benefits. Doesn't seem like they are building as many of them as they originally planned or at least not as quickly.
Staying here right now and got upgraded to a nice sized room (handicap accessible, but that doesn't bother me).

Not sure how I feel about the hotel overall yet, the elevator system is great in theory (have seen it at plenty of other places), but it's been a nightmare tonight.

The lobby is incredibly loud as it's packed and there is a DJ currently.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Staying here right now and got upgraded to a nice sized room (handicap accessible, but that doesn't bother me).

Not sure how I feel about the hotel overall yet, the elevator system is great in theory (have seen it at plenty of other places), but it's been a nightmare tonight.

There's a DJ on a weekday? Hahaha sounds like something you'd see at The W.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmatthews11

You stay at the Edition (London, Miami, NYC, wherever) primarily because you want to drink in the lobby or eat at the restaurant, plus have access to a technology filled room with good toiletries and bedding. Elite benefits are not to be had.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
There's a DJ on a weekday? Hahaha sounds like something you'd see at The W.
I had to laugh, it was just a guy standing there on his laptop. Had good taste though.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
You stay at the Edition (London, Miami, NYC, wherever) primarily because you want to drink in the lobby or eat at the restaurant, plus have access to a technology filled room with good toiletries and bedding. Elite benefits are not to be had.
When I travel anywhere, it's not typically for the Elite benefits these days, but mostly the room. I wouldn't say my room is technology filled by any means, and the bed is fine but I've had more comfortable ones at Courtyard here in Manhattan. And I can hear my neighbors with relative ease unfortunately.

That being said, I'm only one night in - just giving my initial reaction. I do plan on trying their restaurant/bar tonight though.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
My advice - skip the bar and restaurant. You're in an area with some of the best in the world. They won't come cheap, but take a look in the area. Trip Advisor is useful resource for a quick search.

Enjoy the stay. I'll be interested to see your trip report.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by 1120
My advice - skip the bar and restaurant. You're in an area with some of the best in the world. They won't come cheap, but take a look in the area. Trip Advisor is useful resource for a quick search.

Enjoy the stay. I'll be interested to see your trip report.
^
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:46 am

The New York EDITION

The New York EDITION

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The New York EDITION

5 Madison Ave New York, New York US 10010

The New York EDITION (22 Photos)

The New York EDITION

I just got home from a great trip to New York City and an even better stay at The New York EDITION. I had a tough time deciding on a hotel for my trip, but ended up booking a promotional rate at The New York EDITION through AMEX's Fine Hotels and Resorts program (FH&R).

The New York EDITION has a quaint, little entrance just off of 24th St.

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

It's located right across the street from Madison Square Park which is home to some nice green space and the original Shake Shack. It's also within a blcok of most subway lines too so it's easy to access from almost anywhere.

Check In

Even though FH&R advertises Noon check-in, it's subject to availability and isn't always guaranteed. Unfortunately, our room wasn't ready so we checked our bags at the front desk and went to kill some time on 5th Ave.

IMG_3650.jpg

We came back at 4:00 PM for our regularly scheduled check-in time and were greeted by the same gal who checked our bags. She thanked me for being a Marriott Gold Elite Member and recognized my booking through FH&R. She explained the benefits of FH&R which included an upgrade from a Guest Room to a Superior City View Room, $100 room credit to be used on anything at the hotel, $60 for breakfast at the Clock Tower Restaurant every morning, complimentary Wi-Fi and guaranteed 4:00 PM check-out.

IMG_3393.jpg

Room

We were assigned room 2507 on the 25th floor. As you come into the entry way, there is one closet immediately to your left and the bathroom is located just past the first closet.

3_IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

It has a huge mirror, vanity, a rainforest and handheld shower head, and a toilet. I don't know if this is a trend, but the shower didn't have a door. I've seen this at a couple of hotels and I'm not a fan. Not only does the shower lack a nice steam build-up but water gets on the floor.

IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

The New York EDITION has special EDITION branded Le Labo amenities. If I'm not mistaken, these are the same amenities they have at the Park Hyatt Sydney.

IMG_3377.jpg

As you continue through the entryway, there is another larger closet on your right with snacks, a dresser, and a safe.

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

The guest room itself has a king size bed on the left with a television mounted across on the wall.

1_IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. I'm a sucker for crisp, clean white sheets. It probably didn't hurt that I walked a handful of miles each day either, but I slept like a rock every single night.

To the right of the bed was a small couch with a table and an ottoman. The mini-bar is next to the couch and has all sorts of drinks including a delicious apple juice we snagged to max out my $100 hotel credit.

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Now let's talk about this view. I don't stay in a ton of hotels so I'm always excited for any sort of upgrade. In this case, the Superior City View room had amazing views of downtown Manhattan. I would get up every morning, stand, and just stare in awe out the window.

IMG_3439.jpgIMG_3370.jpg

Dining

Breakfast was served every morning in the Clock Tower Restaurant on the second floor from 7:00 - 10:30 AM. As I mentioned above, the FH&R booking covered $60 ($30 per person) every morning. If your bill was over $60 you were responsible for the rest. Just for a point of reference, my girlfriend and I each had a speciality coffee drink and an entree each morning and were well under $60.

IMG_3456.jpg

Here's a look at the menu.

IMG_3449.jpg

Since I was there three nights I got to try the english breakfast, lancashire cheddar and smoked ham omelet, and eggs benedict. The eggs benedict was my favorite dish of the weekend. Don't get me wrong, everything else was delicious, but you can't beat a good eggs benedict with a thick piece of Canadian bacon.

IMG_3645.jpg

Overall

I LOVED the New York EDITION. The room was perfectly appointed, the bed was amazing and the views were the best I've had. I'm really glad I booked through AMEX's FH&R so we could get the breakfast for two. It's great to start the day with a good meal and a caffeinated beverage before you head out on the town. The staff was nothing but nice and always opened the door for us and wished us well anytime we came or went. I know this hotel can be a little pricy, but if you find a good rate or redemption I wouldn't pass it up.

The New York EDITION

Would you like to write a review on the The New York EDITION?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the review/update w/ pics. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the review/update w/ pics. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
No problem! It's nice to finally post a useful review for the FlyerTalk community
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
No problem! It's nice to finally post a useful review for the FlyerTalk community
Agreed; this review was really nice. Great location too.

What was the price difference booking through Amex vs. Marriott directly?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Really stupid of them not to put a shower door. Every room is like this?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by getagb
Agreed; this review was really nice. Great location too.

What was the price difference booking through Amex vs. Marriott directly?
It was $545 a night through FH&R but they we're offering a 3rd night free promotion so it basically brought my nightly total down to $363. Marriott was charging just over $400 a night for a basic room with no added perks (except if you have elite status).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Really stupid of them not to put a shower door. Every room is like this?
I'll never get why any hotel thinks it's a good idea. I couldn't speak on behalf of the suites, but I'd guess the majority of rooms are like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just spent two nights here in a Loft Studio. This is the highest room category before a suite (and was just silly expensive). No upgrade for this Plat (it appeared from the website they were sold out, so I didn't inquire further). The room was reasonably sized with a small sofa and chair, plus a very large table/desk which had a very strange throne style desk chair. Overall the room was quite spartan, and I was not a fan of the decor. The sofa was cream colored and had some stains. Unlike the room pics above, there were no rugs, just bare hardwood floor.

Bathroom was identical to the pics above. No shower door, not much counter space. Towels were nice (as were the sheets). Closet and storage space was a problem. The closet is tiny and there is nowhere else to put clothes. This is crazy for NYC, given that people tend to dress up here. We wound up opening our suitcases on the floor and stacking our clothes there because there was simply no other place to put them.

Decent fitness center on the 37th floor with dumbells and a reasonable number of machines. No windows though, so it feels like you're in a basement.

The best thing about this place is the location. A very easy walk to Union Square, the Village, and SoHo. Overall we much preferred this to staying midtown.

Staff were about 80% excellent. The other 20% pretended you weren't there.

Plat got us nothing except a late checkout (which was granted without hesitation). The no points for incidentals stopped me from spending in any of the hotel restaurants. Doesn't seem like a very smart policy to me.

I might stay here again for the location, but only at a much lower rate (e.g., FHR free night, which was not available for our nights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.