Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
I checked before I posted that, and all the suites were available on CostCo. Maybe your dates were full up though.
Ah! That's an interesting datapoint. There are suites available for my dates on Marriott.com but not on Costco. They must limit the numbers available to Costco. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Granted, we are not visiting from the US which seems to be the majority of the guests here but I just don’t understand the hype for this property. Staff are super nice so I’ll give them that. But the hotel does not feel like true luxury. People reserve beach chairs early in the morning. Breakfast is a ZOO with queues, tons of people. guests from TUI. Food is stale. Rooms are fine. But at 2500 USD for 7 nights, it just feels like bad value, at least to this European that can fly to Asia in similar time, get 10x service and more luxury for the same buck. Also really annoying that the American tipping culture has become de facto standard here, which I guess is no surprise given the frequency of Americans visiting.

Worth noting that it might just be that cancun is not the right destination for us, so that factors into my comment.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by brokenwindow

Worth noting that it might just be that cancun is not the right destination for us, so that factors into my comment.
I’ve been to both and the one thing I’d like to point out is I have yet to find a beach in Asia that is comparable to what there is in Cancun (even though the very best beach is in front of The IC Presidente because it’s very wide, and the ocean is very calm there).
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Granted, we are not visiting from the US which seems to be the majority of the guests here but I just don’t understand the hype for this property. Staff are super nice so I’ll give them that. But the hotel does not feel like true luxury. People reserve beach chairs early in the morning. Breakfast is a ZOO with queues, tons of people. guests from TUI. Food is stale. Rooms are fine. But at 2500 USD for 7 nights, it just feels like bad value, at least to this European that can fly to Asia in similar time, get 10x service and more luxury for the same buck. Also really annoying that the American tipping culture has become de facto standard here, which I guess is no surprise given the frequency of Americans visiting.

You won't find a lot of people to disagree with you that it's not "true luxury" (it definitely isn't) and that there aren't better/cheaper places in Asia. Cancun being so accessible from the US IS a very big draw, and generally it's very affordable due to the local competition. If you're in Europe, I'm not sure I'd fly to Cancun to stay at the JW, there are definitely other/better options.
brokenwindow likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You won't find a lot of people to disagree with you that it's not "true luxury" (it definitely isn't) and that there aren't better/cheaper places in Asia. Cancun being so accessible from the US IS a very big draw, and generally it's very affordable due to the local competition. If you're in Europe, I'm not sure I'd fly to Cancun to stay at the JW, there are definitely other/better options.
lesson learned for us! Anyway we are here for another 5 nights and happy to answer any questions if there are any
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
lesson learned for us! Anyway we are here for another 5 nights and happy to answer any questions if there are any
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off so negative! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there, esp. since we stayed at a time when the resort was pretty empty and had Club91 access. It was great for unwinding and esp. the Olympic/full sized pool in the spa centre was a big plus, you don't get a lot of resorts where you can swim laps all by yourself like that!
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:52 am

The pool situation here really sucks. People reserve seats super early in the morning and then disappear for hours. This leads to almost no seats. Super frustrating when you primarily just want to do R&R.

The right thing would have been for the staff to come and remove peoples things after 30 min of being absent. But staff could care less.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:17 am

Anyone know how the Caribbean Suites are distributed in the buildings? For example if I get two rooms is there a chance they would be reasonably close together, ie there isn't just one on each floor/wing?
Old May 2, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
JW or Marriott next door?

I have 4 certificates which I have currently used at the Marriott next door.
Now with the Top Off feature available, I am contemplating at staying at the JW.
Can someone help?
1. How is the breakfast at JW? Marriott next door offers only continental breakfast for Titaniums
2. Are the rooms indeed bigger?
3. Any other reason I should choose the JW over Marriott?
4. Is Club 91 still available and how much does it cost for Titaniums per day?
We are a family of 4 people - 2 adults and 2 kids (17 and 13)
Old May 17, 2022, 7:36 pm

anyone recently have any luck having an SNA clear to a Grand Ocean Front Suite?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by zagguru
a few datapoints say that yes people have been upgraded but I also saw a few where the suite was available but they did not upgrade folks. I would wager if you go in hurricane season its a pretty sure bet, otherwise forget about it.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by libuser
a few datapoints say that yes people have been upgraded but I also saw a few where the suite was available but they did not upgrade folks. I would wager if you go in hurricane season its a pretty sure bet, otherwise forget about it.
Just had an SNA clear to the Caribbean Suite
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by zagguru
I successfully upgraded to a Grand Ocean Front Suite for four nights in late March into early April.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver
Continental Breakfast Offerings

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Now with the Top Off feature available, I am contemplating at staying at the JW.
Can someone help?
1. How is the breakfast at JW? Marriott next door offers only continental breakfast for Titaniums
Just left the JW last week, attached is a picture of the continental breakfast menu for Platinum and higher, we selected the breakfast as our welcome gift, the menu is the same each day. The hotel also sent this guide over prior to our arrival outlining the benefits offered per tier, I attached that here too.

Also - they say that enhanced internet is an elite benefit for Gold and higher, but there was no option to select enhanced internet on their wifi, just the standard that everyone gets, no complaints with the speed though!
Attached Images   
dominick08 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Can someone help?
Just checked in today for 8 days.
1. It sucks for both props not much different, head to Hyatt for full breakfast. Upgrade to full brekkie is $12pp pd, so $50 in your case per day.
2. Yes
3. Everything is more upscale
4. Price is $300 per night(2 adults + 2 kids). Here is the welcome message snippet, they sent me a day before arrival: "Club 91 is considered a Boutique Hotel located on the 14th floor, we offer upgrade to Club 91 with fee per night of $250 USD plus taxes (19%), including 2 adults and 2 children under 5 years old. Based on availability upon check in."

So in your case you would have to pay $600 per night for your whole family. I was quoted the same for 2 adults, and 2 kids over 10.

Status does not yield a discount for the club. I am a lowly Ambassador and was politely told the same, Club 91 is a separate hotel within a hotel. No additional discount provided. At least I was upgraded to the Grand Ocean Front Suite which makes up for having no club and crappy breakfast since the one bedroom suite is pretty kickass. At least I had a $100 lnf rate so I am not complaining.

Last edited by libuser; Sep 6, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.