Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton St.Thomas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PP, United PP, American Express Platinum

Can anyone give me any details on this property. Is a rental car necessary? How about the resort fee? On Marriott it says $62 in added to room rate but on other booking sites the fee is included. Is this the most preferred property on St.Thomas? Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Its a nice property, on the east end of St. Thomas. It is about a 5 minute drive to Red Hook where there are a bunch of great restaurants and night life. There is also the ferry which goes to St. John.

A car is definitely necessary unless you don't want to leave the hotel, or want to pay $5-10/per person each way in a taxi every time you go out.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes as it is on the far east end, a car is needed unless you don't plan on leaving the resort property. Taxi from the airport to the resort is $10 per person (assuming you have 2+ ppl) plus a couple bucks per bag, and again the 5-10pp each way as BosFlyer mentioned if you want to go out anyplace else.

If you want to stay on property for most of the time and only go out once, you could live with taxis. As mentioned Red Hook has a couple hood restaurants and good nightlife.

As for the property, it is very nice but personally I think its overpriced for the service and quality. I've had good experiences with the Marriott Frenchman's Reef which is at a more central location to other restaurants and if you want to go shopping downtown.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Been to the USVI many times and I can honestly tell you USVI is very overrated unless you sail. There are much better destinations and this hotel is very overrated and over priced. Don't even bother to rent a car as there is nothing to drive to, not like Hawaii or Cali. Grab a cab to Charlotte Amalie for the day and enjoy some cheezy cruise ship shops with average prices and products. Other than that, no need to leave the resort. Most of the island isn't safe and I've seen goats slaughtered in the street on the way to this hotel as well.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insight. There are many more designations we would prefer but our time window is slim and we only have a 4 night getaway from the east coast available as we have 3 young kids. Plus award availability is difficult to many destinations this last minute into the game so USVI was one available to us.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
We have 2 children (young teens) and went to the Marriott Frenchman's Cove last year for spring break from the East Coast (used airline miles so it was a fairly inexpensive break). We chose not to rent a car, and took cabs a few places. I didn't want to deal with driving on the left, and the roads are quite winding and hilly.

Personally, I found that there isn't a whole heck of a lot to do on St. Thomas. We went into town a couple of times, shopped, walked around, ate, kids enjoyed the pool and SMALL beach (I'm sure it's better at the Ritz maybe). But really I have no reason to ever return. We used the break as a way to relax and enjoy some sunshine, but really didn't see much appeal.

From the East Coast, we still prefer spring breaks at Disney!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:26 am
Original Poster

This is actually a couple only trip as the kids will be staying with grandparents (thus the reasoning why we can only get a short getaway). We also prefer Disney for our kids as they enjoy it and have a great time....it seems every time we go we discover something new. In fact, headed there at Thanksgiving this year and staying at the new Grand Floridian Villas.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mrsp1030
This is actually a couple only trip as the kids will be staying with grandparents (thus the reasoning why we can only get a short getaway). We also prefer Disney for our kids as they enjoy it and have a great time....it seems every time we go we discover something new. In fact, headed there at Thanksgiving this year and staying at the new Grand Floridian Villas.
Save your MR points and stay in St John (no Marriott/RC properties) if you want to do the USVI. Caneel Bay Resort and the Westin are much better than St Thomas offerings.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Been to the USVI many times and I can honestly tell you USVI is very overrated unless you sail. There are much better destinations and this hotel is very overrated and over priced. Don't even bother to rent a car as there is nothing to drive to, not like Hawaii or Cali. Grab a cab to Charlotte Amalie for the day and enjoy some cheezy cruise ship shops with average prices and products. Other than that, no need to leave the resort. Most of the island isn't safe and I've seen goats slaughtered in the street on the way to this hotel as well.
100% completely disagree on almost all points made by ZZYZXROAD.

The USVI are fantastic to visit for numerous reasons that are detailed elsewhere. I personally love STT as it has most of the activity, restaurants, and nightlife. However, STJ has some gorgeous beaches and picturesque landscapes (as well as great restaurants: try Fatty Crab).

The main reason some people dislike STT is that they stay at places like the Marriott, or other hotels close to Charlotte Amalie. The downtown of Charlotte Amalie is good for a short day visit. Check out some shops, have lunch, etc. There are usually 5-15k cruise ship passengers downtown. I prefer to avoid it. The East End of STT, especially Red Hook, is about a 30min drive through rolling, windy hills that tease a sense of thrill and danger as you drive on the left side of the road. Most people either don't know, or don't have the time to go to the East End...which is where the Ritz is excellently located.

Not renting a car and staying at the resort is a big waste of an opportunity. In addition, I would AVOID Charlotte Amalie as that is were the traffic and throngs of unruly cruise ship passengers stay. Get out and visit some of the smaller, quiet beaches on the east end, and eat at some of the local restaurants in Red Hook.

Lastly, the island is very safe. I've lived there for many years and have never, EVER had an issue. Conversely, yes - there is crime - similar to most islands. Sometimes it can be violent, but common sense prevails and you will be fine. Enjoy.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:10 pm

duplicate - delete
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
While I respect your opinion on USVI and this resort, I can think of about 10 other Marriott's in the Caribbean that are much better than USVI Ritz.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I stayed at RC last year and it's a great location. Staff is great, view from room is gorgeous and 24hr hot tub/pools are awesome.

RC is more expensive than other properties but it is also most private! Frenchman's Cove is very close to port so beaches are open to tourists from cruise ships. My trip to STT was during peak-season and cruise ships can bring 25000-30000 tourists per day. A small island becomes quite a nuisance with that kind of extra crowd. Stay away from Charlotte Amelie and you'll be happy.

-Resort fee is $50 and good value IMO. It includes cost of getting life-jackets, sail boats, snorkel gear etc.
-Food/drinks on the property are expensive but Red Hook isn't much cheaper either. They are all priced to make a buck off the tourists.
-Car is not required but if you plan to leave property often, that might work cheaper.
-Rooms are spacious, clean, and have a gorgeous view (get a balcony room)!

If this is an award getaway, it's worth every point.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I stayed at RC last year and it's a great location. Staff is great, view from room is gorgeous and 24hr hot tub/pools are awesome.

RC is more expensive than other properties but it is also most private! Frenchman's Cove is very close to port so beaches are open to tourists from cruise ships. My trip to STT was during peak-season and cruise ships can bring 25000-30000 tourists per day. A small island becomes quite a nuisance with that kind of extra crowd. Stay away from Charlotte Amelie and you'll be happy.

-Resort fee is $50 and good value IMO. It includes cost of getting life-jackets, sail boats, snorkel gear etc.
-Food/drinks on the property are expensive but Red Hook isn't much cheaper either. They are all priced to make a buck off the tourists.
-Car is not required but if you plan to leave property often, that might work cheaper.
-Rooms are spacious, clean, and have a gorgeous view (get a balcony room)!

If this is an award getaway, it's worth every point.
I agree with you. We stayed here last year (split a week between here & Frenchman's Cove) and really enjoyed it. We prefer to take cabs over renting a car in STT when we visit. The boat ferry to/from the FC Marriott is a nice way to get downtown Charlotte Amalie. I've never done the math to see if it's more/less expensive to rent a car.

And, yeah, the RC drinks & food are expensive just like any other RC I've visited. Maybe a bit more in STT because it's a Caribbean island.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/rit...ic-experience/

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas Introduces Luxury Picnic Experience

"In Our National Parks, John Muir wrote, “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.” The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas is encouraging guests to walk with nature as Muir did, and making it easy to explore nearby Virgin Islands National Park, which covers 60 percent of St. John and is famous for its diving, snorkeling and hiking trails.

With the National Park Service celebrating 100 years of stewardship, The St. Thomas beach resort recently introduced a picnic prepared by its talented chefs, for guests heading over to St. John for a day of exploration. The rustic lunch, which is served in a picnic backpack ideal for hiking, includes sliced charcuterie and cheese, olives, hummus, antipasto salad, crusty bread, cookies and fresh fruit for dessert, and a bottle of wine.

Ferries to St. John run on the hour, and the ferry terminal is just a five minute drive from the luxury resort. Once in St. John, guests can begin hiking trails such as those to Honeymoon and Solomon beaches, or take a taxi to other trail heads for hikes to plantation ruins, petroglyph rock carvings and colorful coral reefs. Recommended hikes from the Ladies and Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas include:

* Trunk Bay: considered one of the island’s most beautiful beaches and features a 225-yard long underwater snorkel trail.
* Annaberg Plantation: featuring a trail that leads through factory ruins, slave quarters, windmill and other remains; placards along the trails describe how sugar was produced and discuss plantation life and the history behind sugar plantations on St. John.
* Reef Bay Trail: ideal for the adventurous, as this difficult, three-mile hike exposes hikers to tropical forests, petroglyphs, freshwater pools and a waterfall.
* Solomon and Honeymoon beaches: Lind Point Trail starts at the National Park Welcome Center in Cruz Bay, and winds one mile to these two secluded beaches, only accessible by hiking or boating.

In addition, the National Park offers guided excursions, including bird watching, a lionfish snorkel safari, and stargazing among others. Visit https://www.nps.gov/viis for more information.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Sounds good, but I wonder how much the Luxury Picnic Experience will set one back. Considering the Resort Fee is now $75 per night at this property, it should be free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.