Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei Marriott Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei Marriott Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by gcashin
Any comparison points between the Taipei Marriott and the Westin Taipei? Would appreciate any advice, as I'm trying to pick between the two for a short leisure trip.
Same ownership company and GM of Courtyard uses his Westin email address for Courtyard matters.

IMO Westin wins in location (significantly closer to downtown attractions) but Courtyard wins in service. That said, Westin is technically FS and Courtyard is limited service (in name, not so much in effect).
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Taipei Westin is closing at the end of the year so keep that in mind.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:05 pm

I stayed at this hotel recently using a hotel cert from a travel package. I am Marriott Gold. I got an upgraded room with a good view of Taipei 101 in the distance. The room was very nice and the executive lounge compared well with the Conrads in Tokyo and Osaka where we stayed prior to this. Overall a very nice hotel. My only complaint as such and I knew this going in was that it is not particularly well located for tourist activities which is what I was there for. Pretty much every place we visited required one or two subway transfers and the subway line it is on seemed the most consistently crowded. If you are a Marriott elite and/or looking to burn a hotel cert then I'd stay here even though it is not the best location for tourists but otherwise I might have to think a bit harder though I really did like the hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:22 am

I moved from the Courtyard Taipei to the Marriott FS Taipei yesterday. I have to say, the FS is a huge upgrade across the board.

The Courtyard looks nice and has facilities that could be considered JW-like, but the FS does too while also delivering on service, offers superior views, and the FS lounge is a huge upgrade (Courtyard gave me food poisoning and serves cafeteria-quality spaghetti, FS had delicious smoked steak along with several other high quality dishes).

In my corner suite (PP upgrade) I have views of Miramar (ferris wheel attached to nearby mall), Songshan airport (I can see planes land and take off from runway), Taipei 101, and much of the city.

With that said, I prefer the location of Courtyard as it is directly in a mall with dozens of local and foreign food options. FS is in an office district so it's less recreational for leisure stays in the immediate area. Courtyard is cheap and a steal for award redemptions, but service is just unavoidably poor (high turnover, minimal training, unpolished/new staff, no management on site).
​​​​​
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Head
Not sure if I just missed this earlier in my stay, or if it was delivered during my midweek room cleaning, but the other day I noticed an Android phone in a docking station on the desk. After looking into it, it is a "Handy Phone" that is linked to your hotel room and provides free voice (local and international) and data throughout the city (perhaps the country). In addition to that, it also has some preloaded apps that give dining and entertaining options near your current location as well as internet browser and a few messaging apps.

I had never heard of or seen this before so I looked into it and it appears to have originated in HKG hotels.

Edited to say that I am now in the Taipei Marriott. I asked about this phone and they said they were not available. However, they did put me into a very nice suite.
I have unlimited data on my iPhone, so I haven't carried it around, but it certainly could be useful to others.

Just passing the info along.
Thanks for all your helpful posts. I am at HKG Marriott headed to the Taipei Marriott later this afternoon. The Android phone might be useful to me so now I will be alert about a feature I might have not noticed since I plug in all my gear and get at it. So this is true international calls and I do not have to worry about trying to do wifi-calling on my iPhone?

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 8, 2018 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This is a nice property with a good lounge as well.
The only downside for a tourist is the location, it's pretty far from everything except Miramar.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Just had a quick one-nighter at the Taipei Marriott. Simlar to my first review and the most recent reviews, the place is nicer than the Courtyard in terms of service and overall interior facilities.

As a PP, I was upgraded to a corner suite without prompting. Room to me appeared to more bare than the last time I was here. Minimal furnishing but enough. No more fruit plates upon arrival. No “Handy” phone that I’ve found although I did not inquire (the courtyard has this). The view of Taipei 101is nice. The suite is very nice and king size bed is enormous. A/C is nice, strong, and relatively quiet.

The outdoor pool is amazing and is heated. The gym is large and spacious. No jacuzzi here though.

Club lounge on the 19th floor is large and access super duperly controlled. 2 person per room if platinum or above unless you buy club access not using elite benefits. I asked about this because I saw a family of 3 turned away and another family of 3 admitted and inquiring minds made me ask the attendants ( or they could just be making crap up I dunno).

The happy hour service is good for those that like to drink with a variety of liquor service and 3 brands of canned beer. The food on the other hand is not exactly the best. When I say not the best, I mean compared to the Sheraton or even the Westin (that’s closing at the end of the year). Breakfast now is only served in the lounge or you can eat downstairs for 330 NTD pp (which is a more than half off). Breakfast spread is actually not bad with egg and noodle station and both Asian and western dishes. Services in general very good.

For the lounge, I would choose the Sheraton Taipei over this Marriott since both of them are similar pricing in terms of cash rate and same point level. For the swimming pool, this one wins hands down throughout all of Taipei (maybe tied with the W but at double the price).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Executive lounge card for those that are interested

bluestrudels likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
What's the cost for buying lounge access? As a Gold next year I can try to talk my way into access (as in asking nicely, not lying) but wonder if it's worth $ since we'd be staying on a TP cert.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Could anyone advise if Marriott Taipei has a proper hot sauna? I am considering between this hotel and Sheraton Taipei, and if there is a sauna here like Sheraton Taipei, I might just want to try this hotel out.

Marriott Plat here, if it makes a difference to complimentary access to the sauna of this hotel, if there is one.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:54 pm

Stopped by the Teppanyaki restaurant located in this hotel. Ran a $600+ bill and asked waiter to add my membership # onto the bill so I can get the points. Waiter replied saying that their restaurant has not signed contract w/ Marriott and therefore cannot give points. Did not stay at the property so could not do room charge.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Could anyone advise if Marriott Taipei has a proper hot sauna? I am considering between this hotel and Sheraton Taipei, and if there is a sauna here like Sheraton Taipei, I might just want to try this hotel out.

Marriott Plat here, if it makes a difference to complimentary access to the sauna of this hotel, if there is one.

Thanks!
no they don’t. At least not the kind you will find at the Sheraton (not sure about just the dry sauna box but definitely nothing like the Japanese bathhouse type spa you will find at the Sheraton or the Hyatt)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
I have completed the stay at the Hotel, so I can answer my own question. It has a dry sauna. (Though not like the Japanese/Korean Bathhouse type of spa found at Sheraton Taipei as mentioned in the previous post)

I personally think Marriott Taipei is quite good.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
We stayed here in November. The location is out of the way, but we’re big walkers so we’d head to the bike path along the river and then follow that into the city each day. There is a metro stop about an 8 minute walk from the hotel. Also, taxis are quite cheap, yet very clean with polite drivers. We had no issues using them to/from dinner each night.

The room and bathroom was spacious and modern. We had a nice mountain view. The lounge was large and never overcrowded when we were there. Breakfast was okay. Heavy emphasis on Chinese offerings, which was fine with us. I thought the evening spread was more than decent and could have made dinner out of it had I chose to. There was a large selection of bottled liquor with a cocktail station, including shakers, strainers, different glasses, etc. There were also a few wines and beer in the refrigerator with the soft drinks.

We were a family of 3 and did not have any issues getting access to the lounge. We also saw a number of other families, larger than ours. So it didn’t seem to me they were enforcing the 2 pax rule. Perhaps that’s because it wasn’t that busy to begin with.

I’d stay there again, but I don’t mind being out of the way. Also, note to those who book on corporate rates. They demanded a business card or ID upon check-in, which I produced. They then photocopied my business card and said they’d be sending an email to my corporate account. It didn’t arrive, so I’m not sure if this was an empty threat. Either way, it seemed clear to me that had I not been carrying a business card (or had I used a corporate rate to which I wasn’t entitled), there may have been an issue at check in.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Does Taipei have cheap properties for mattress runs? If so, where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.