Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei Marriott Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Had lunch with some local friends at the Miramar Complex in Dazhi, Taipei, Taiwan and someone commented on the 3 new 50+ stories almost finished right near the shopping complex. One of my friend said one of the building is to be a Hotel and Service Apartment. The sign says Sherwood Hotel.

Googling around, I found that the Sherwood Hotel Group "supposely" will operate the hotel under the "Marriott" brand. I'm guessing a Marriott or JW with a Executive Apartment brand attached to it (like the JW Shanghai and Executive Apartments)

(an article from 2010: https://www.google.com.tw/url?sa=t&r...59026428,d.dGI )

The AmCham website also has an article on Taipei hotel boom and also talks about this project.
(edit to add link: http://www.amcham.com.tw/topics-arch...ng-hotel-scene )

The actual complex looks fairly complete.

It would be great to have a MARRIOTT-brand option in Taipei starting late 2014.

Side-note when googling, found that a Courtyard by Marriott will be built at the new Nangang Station Exhibition Complex to be completed in 2016.

If both are true, it will be competition with the Starwood properties in Taipei, although not completely in Taipei, but on MRT lines.

Last edited by myperks; Jan 13, 2014 at 8:04 am Reason: to add link
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:15 am

Good to hear if true. Would like to have some Marriott options in Taiwan.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

While looking at a friend's profile working in the hospitality industry, I saw a connection to the GM at the Westin Taipei. Under his profile it lists "Pre-Opening team for the upcoming Taipei Leofoo Courtyard by Marriott. 465 rooms"

http://tw.linkedin.com/pub/ben-chen/9/4aa/513

Can't find any other info on this but with this and the Marriott/JW (potentially), can't wait for some official news and opening dates.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by myperks
While looking at a friend's profile working in the hospitality industry, I saw a connection to the GM at the Westin Taipei. Under his profile it lists "Pre-Opening team for the upcoming Taipei Leofoo Courtyard by Marriott. 465 rooms"

http://tw.linkedin.com/pub/ben-chen/9/4aa/513

Can't find any other info on this but with this and the Marriott/JW (potentially), can't wait for some official news and opening dates.
In the hotel industry, wouldn't it be a move down for a Westin GM to go to a Courtyard? Or is involvement with a new hotel and its opening a good credential for the resume?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the hotel industry, wouldn't it be a move down for a Westin GM to go to a Courtyard? Or is involvement with a new hotel and its opening a good credential for the resume?
Don't know. But the profile seems to show he is on pre-opening teams for a lot of hotels (in addition to his normal title), so I'm guessing it's good? Maybe the training aspects of opening a new hotel is considered good credential.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Taipei Marriott Hotel (Scheduled to Open February 2015)

Finally made it to Marriott website.... February 2015. VERY EXCITED^^^

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-...arriott-hotel/

Looks like right next to the Miramar as I saw before.

Taipei Marriott Hotel
Intersection of Jingye 4th Road and Lane 286, Zhifu Road,Zhongshan District Taipei City 104 Taiwan

Last edited by bdschobel; Mar 6, 2014 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
This is great news! I always stay at the home hotel (in front of 101, Acceoss the street from California Pizza Kitchen ).

Very much looking forward to the Marriott option.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:17 am

a bit of walk from the MRT station but it is still nice to see another options rather than inflated SPG hotels in Taipei! Looking forward to see it soon.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally...however, the location is not very convenient unless you do business in that area (and there are tons of offices there). Hopefully it is priced accordingly too. The SPG hotels are way too expensive now.

Oh, Hilton is also returning to Taiwan - to Taichung though - a new Hilton Garden Inn.

So, I guess this one is a Full Service Marriott. Now we have to figure out where the Courtyard will be...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by username
Hopefully it is priced accordingly too.
Maybe a cat 4/5?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Glad to hear this. It will make business trips there better.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

some minor updates on the Marriott Taipei Hotel site:

(1) the address and phone number is now up:
Taipei Marriott Hotel
No. 199 LeQun 2nd Road,,Zhongshan District Taipei City 10462 Taiwan
886-2-8502-9999

(2) still saying opening Feb 2015, but now also says "Soon to open in Q2 of 2015"

Hopefully it'll open by Feb 2015 just in time for a visit during Chinese New Year.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Website says this:

"Opening in February 2015

Soon to open in Q2 of 2015, this 320 rooms and suites hotel offers rooms with panoramic views of Taipei city and botanical gardens. Taipei Marriott is a urban city resort, located along Keelung river. Conveniently access to Neihu Technology Park, Nangang Software Park and Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall. For leisure travelers, we are your nearest option to the National Palace Museum and National Revolutionary Martyrs' Shrine. The hotel is within minutes walk to JianNan MRT station and only two stops away from SongShan Airport.Facilities include four restaurants and a bar serving authentic Cantonese cuisine, lively teppanyaki, chic bar & grill and International favorites all day dining.One stop MICE destination for the Future of Meeting. 3, 000 square meters state-of art conference and wedding space (Taipei's largest ballroom); 7,894 square meters shopping and dining arcade located within the hotel."

No category or guest room information on the site yet.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Looking forward to its opening!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by anchor79
a bit of walk from the MRT station but it is still nice to see another options rather than inflated SPG hotels in Taipei! Looking forward to see it soon.
This is quite the understatement. Even when there is a reasonably priced SPG hotel, it is totally out of the way and miles away from Taipei city center.
Heck, the only reason I have kept up my SPG account is because of the lack of MR options in Taiwan.

One question I am not sure can be answered: While the OP has made some speculations about Sherwood, does anyone know if the construction company owns the land and has awarded Marriott the right to manage the hotel? I ask this because in the past, many brands have done this in Taiwan, only to pull out of the deals due to unreasonable demands made by the construction company (Hilton, which is now a Caesars Park and Westin Da Shee Taoyuan immediately come to mind). I would hate for Marriott to possibly succumb to this predicament.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.