Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by monoflight
Thanks ChocolateFactory - Has anyone stayed at the element or aloft and can give an idea of the differences between them and the more traditional hotels downtown?
Just finished a stay at The Element Downtown Austin. Gorgeous hotel, great restaurant bar and coffee shop, fairly large rooms. Overall a pleasant stay and the location of the hotel can’t be beat.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Thanks bcosinteno - how was the noise in the element? Any issues?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by monoflight
Thanks bcosinteno - how was the noise in the element? Any issues?
In September I stayed at the Aloft which is co-located in the same building and didn't notice any noise issues (although I am usually a sound sleeper). Would echo the comments about the location.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:12 pm
GYK

Programs: United Million-Miler, SPG Gold
Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol recently? There is a great rate $134/ night, but i'm reading very mixed reviews....not sure if they are outdate, but wanted to check here. Other hotels are much more expensive and this is personal travel. Thoughts? I'm a gold spg member.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
FYI - there is some level of co-management of Element, Aloft and Westin.
In the end, I stayed with a different chain after a really terrible experience with despicable attitude from management pre-stay trying to jack up the rate 600% for a simple change on a cancellable rate.

They literally told me to look around since they were the only game in town.

I did.
They weren't.
I thanked them for the suggestion and had a great stay elsewhere.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by GYK
Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol recently? There is a great rate $134/ night, but i'm reading very mixed reviews....not sure if they are outdate, but wanted to check here. Other hotels are much more expensive and this is personal travel. Thoughts? I'm a gold spg member.
It's still an older, crappy Sheraton, but at that rate it's fine. Just go in with the appropriate expectations. Look at the recent pictures on tripadvisor and that's probably almost exactly what you can expect as far as hard product. The staff isn't particularly bad or anything, it's just an older property and its usually pretty expensive like all hotels in Austin so I think that's why it gets a lot of negative reviews.

They've recently updated some of the restaurants and public spaces, and it seems like there was a light renovation of the rooms, but they still aren't great or anywhere as nice as the Westin or W.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Match your status to Marriott and stay at the JW
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GYK
In and out of Austin fairly regularly. In fact, staying here now for work and it's outdated. What you see online is what you'll get. That said, I've stayed in worse places. If you're looking for someplace to crash when you've had enough of Austin it'll do. At that rate, I'd look at other SPG properties in town, but it's not too bad.

Public areas are nice, and a placard in the room promises a refresh during 2018 (timing unclear of course). If the rooms get as much of an overhaul as the public areas did in recent years it'll be worth a serious look. You'll have to walk a few blocks to get to anything, which can be positive or negative.

One major downside since you mention you're SPG Gold (as I am) - the lounge is for Platinum only it seems.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:49 am
GYK

Programs: United Million-Miler, SPG Gold
Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the lounge....I've never heard of that!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by theonewhoflutters
In and out of Austin fairly regularly. In fact, staying here now for work and it's outdated. What you see online is what you'll get. That said, I've stayed in worse places. If you're looking for someplace to crash when you've had enough of Austin it'll do. At that rate, I'd look at other SPG properties in town, but it's not too bad.

Public areas are nice, and a placard in the room promises a refresh during 2018 (timing unclear of course). If the rooms get as much of an overhaul as the public areas did in recent years it'll be worth a serious look. You'll have to walk a few blocks to get to anything, which can be positive or negative.

One major downside since you mention you're SPG Gold (as I am) - the lounge is for Platinum only it seems.
I've stayed at the Sheraton Capitol several times due to a ridiculously favorable rate w/ my company. I would say that the rooms are on the tight side and the decor is standard sheraton - nothing is gross about them, but they are definitely mid-2000s. The hotel has a great lobby/bar area (recently re-done) and actually has a large outdoor pool that is rarely used, which is good in the hot texas sun. Lounge is functional, with a light breakfast spread. I typically use it for a 1/2 dozen bottles of water after a long night out downtown

Insider tip: Platinums park free.

If you want to be seen, go to the W. If you want to crack a few beers with friends at the pool (on the cheap), go to the Sheraton.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:40 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boeingguy1

If you want to be seen, go to the W. .
“Being seen” isn’t something my husband and I seek when we travel (in fact quite the contrary) 😊

But the benefits of the W Austin on our 6 night stay there last November are things we really value- a comfortable, updated room with a great view, a friendly and helpful staff and a wonderful location.

We loved our stay there and plan to visit again.

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Spending 2-5 nights in Austin over Memorial Day weekend and before. Looking for the best choice where we can get to entertainment and dining and nice walks without a car. We'll have a car for a couple of days to get out of the city for BBQ and other touring but not for these days, so parking fees don't matter.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’ve now stayed at the Sheraton, Westin, and JW. The Sheraton was dated, the Westin was better, and the JW is a monstrous convention hotel that is no luxury level hotel—despite a very nice and modern hard product.

I know now I’ll be staying at the W Austin in the future. It’s a nice modern hard product (with the typical W quirks) matched with good, almost luxury, level service, a great downtown location, nice views, and excellent food/beverage. It’s also much smaller and more intimate than the JW, making it a vastly better service and overall experience.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:53 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
There are a ton of marriott properties downtown that are all in walking distance to live music venues/bars/restaurants/etc. It's really more a matter of which property you're interested in, your budget, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Stayed at the W last week, but definitely didn't post the correct points after my stay (working through it with customer service). Otherwise, the room and hotel were quite comfortable and a convenient location for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.