Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC SILVER ,SPG PLATINUM

Hi Folks
Has anyone stayed recently in any of the SPG properties in Austin. Planning to stay for a long weekend in May so am looking for advice on the best property to stay . Also the amenities provided to Platinum members. I can't find any recent reports in the forum. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year to all.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CLEOPATRA1
Hi Folks
Has anyone stayed recently in any of the SPG properties in Austin. Planning to stay for a long weekend in May so am looking for advice on the best property to stay . Also the amenities provided to Platinum members. I can't find any recent reports in the forum. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year to all.
Here is the master thread list for all properties. It's organized by country then state
The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List

Under Texas you'll see all the Austin Properties.

Ironically, there is not General Austin Master thread so perhaps this can serve as that.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CLEOPATRA1
Hi Folks
The W in Austin has the best location. However, I haven't stayed there as a Platinum.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:42 pm

Cannot speak to the Platinum issue as I am only a lowly Gold. I have stayed in both the Aloft and the Westin at the Domain in the last year. Skip the Aloft -- it is very noisy for some reason and the beds are not comfortable. The Westin was very nice, and they were nice to my non-status co-worker who was with me, too. He was suitably impressed and told me so. Maybe it was the fact that we got stranded due to the Dallas ice storm and they were sympathetic. Or maybe they are always that nice. His room was on my reservation, but still, I am only a gold, not a plat.

I have not stayed at the other Austin properties in quite some time, sorry.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Cannot speak to the Platinum issue as I am only a lowly Gold. I have stayed in both the Aloft and the Westin at the Domain in the last year. Skip the Aloft -- it is very noisy for some reason and the beds are not comfortable. The Westin was very nice, and they were nice to my non-status co-worker who was with me, too. He was suitably impressed and told me so. Maybe it was the fact that we got stranded due to the Dallas ice storm and they were sympathetic. Or maybe they are always that nice. His room was on my reservation, but still, I am only a gold, not a plat.

I have not stayed at the other Austin properties in quite some time, sorry.
I agree on avoiding the Aloft. I wasn't impressed and there is no lounge.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Depends on where you want to be. If you're trying to be up north, the Westin at the Domain is good. Downtown, you can choose between the Sheraton and the W. The W is better located and nicer, but significantly more expensive.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by htown
I agree on avoiding the Aloft. I wasn't impressed and there is no lounge.
No Aloft has a lounge. A lounge is not an Aloft brand standard.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Sheraton Austin

The lounge at the Sheraton is good. The property is a bit run down, but you can't beat the location! I was there on a MR last year, and they may have started renovations? Doesn't hurt to ask and post your findings! South-by Southwest is coming soon..............
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
No Aloft has a lounge. A lounge is not an Aloft brand standard.
Right but I wasn't impressed with this location. There is literally a Westin down the street.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:56 am
Suspended

Right but I wasn't impressed with this location. There is literally a Westin down the street.
IMO, mentioning "lounge" is a moot point. If you listed the above in the first post, then it would make more sense to me.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
The W in Austin has the best location. However, I haven't stayed there as a Platinum.
I'm a big fan of the W in Austin...great location and just a nice hotel. They also have residences at this particular W, which impacts things like the size and quality of the gym (this hotel has excellent gym & pool facilities). Pricing at this property, along with all hotels in Austin, can be extremely variable based on what is going on in town when you are looking to visit...
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It's been pointed out that, for some reason, we've never had a general discussion thread on where to stay in the Austin area (which is kinda strange, given the connections this forum has with that part of the world... ), so I've retitled and added to the Master Thread index.

/mod
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It's been pointed out that, for some reason, we've never had a general discussion thread on where to stay in the Austin area (which is kinda strange, given the connections this forum has with that part of the world... ), so I've retitled and added to the Master Thread index.

/mod
^ Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by pjsantoro
I'm a big fan of the W in Austin...great location and just a nice hotel. They also have residences at this particular W, which impacts things like the size and quality of the gym (this hotel has excellent gym & pool facilities). Pricing at this property, along with all hotels in Austin, can be extremely variable based on what is going on in town when you are looking to visit...
How are the upgrades as a Platinum? I've only been here as gold and didn't get any upgrades.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I've stayed at The Sheraton, the W, and the Aloft at the Domain

I liked the Aloft, but it's not close to anything - 20 minute drive to downtown. Great plat recognition - personalized note and amenity delivered to room.

The W is better location than the Sheraton, but the Sheraton isn't that far. The W is nice, but I did not receive anything other than my amenity (points) for being platinum. I found some of the hotel's rules (for the pool and such) to be annoying and the staff members weren't exactly friendly about it. That said, the party is definitely at the W.

The Sheraton was just a standard Sheraton. No upgrade to write home about, the lounge was functional. Walkable to everywhere downtown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.