FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1535412-austin-tx-spg-property-where-stay-general-discussion.html)

CLEOPATRA1 Dec 28, 2013 9:12 am

Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion

Hi Folks
Has anyone stayed recently in any of the SPG properties in Austin. Planning to stay for a long weekend in May so am looking for advice on the best property to stay . Also the amenities provided to Platinum members. I can't find any recent reports in the forum. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year to all.

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by CLEOPATRA1 (Post 22040311)
Hi Folks
Has anyone stayed recently in any of the SPG properties in Austin. Planning to stay for a long weekend in May so am looking for advice on the best property to stay . Also the amenities provided to Platinum members. I can't find any recent reports in the forum. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year to all.

Here is the master thread list for all properties. It's organized by country then state
The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List

Under Texas you'll see all the Austin Properties.

Ironically, there is not General Austin Master thread so perhaps this can serve as that.

Hope this helps.

htown Dec 28, 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by CLEOPATRA1 (Post 22040311)
Hi Folks

The W in Austin has the best location. However, I haven't stayed there as a Platinum.

466SHH Dec 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Cannot speak to the Platinum issue as I am only a lowly Gold. I have stayed in both the Aloft and the Westin at the Domain in the last year. Skip the Aloft -- it is very noisy for some reason and the beds are not comfortable. The Westin was very nice, and they were nice to my non-status co-worker who was with me, too. He was suitably impressed and told me so. Maybe it was the fact that we got stranded due to the Dallas ice storm and they were sympathetic. Or maybe they are always that nice. His room was on my reservation, but still, I am only a gold, not a plat.

I have not stayed at the other Austin properties in quite some time, sorry.

htown Dec 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH (Post 22041232)
Cannot speak to the Platinum issue as I am only a lowly Gold. I have stayed in both the Aloft and the Westin at the Domain in the last year. Skip the Aloft -- it is very noisy for some reason and the beds are not comfortable. The Westin was very nice, and they were nice to my non-status co-worker who was with me, too. He was suitably impressed and told me so. Maybe it was the fact that we got stranded due to the Dallas ice storm and they were sympathetic. Or maybe they are always that nice. His room was on my reservation, but still, I am only a gold, not a plat.

I have not stayed at the other Austin properties in quite some time, sorry.

I agree on avoiding the Aloft. I wasn't impressed and there is no lounge.

Hyperacusis Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Depends on where you want to be. If you're trying to be up north, the Westin at the Domain is good. Downtown, you can choose between the Sheraton and the W. The W is better located and nicer, but significantly more expensive.

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by htown (Post 22041668)
I agree on avoiding the Aloft. I wasn't impressed and there is no lounge.

No Aloft has a lounge. A lounge is not an Aloft brand standard.

Antonio8069 Dec 29, 2013 8:54 am

Sheraton Austin

The lounge at the Sheraton is good. The property is a bit run down, but you can't beat the location! I was there on a MR last year, and they may have started renovations? Doesn't hurt to ask and post your findings! South-by Southwest is coming soon..............

htown Dec 29, 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 22042039)
No Aloft has a lounge. A lounge is not an Aloft brand standard.

Right but I wasn't impressed with this location. There is literally a Westin down the street.

KENNECTED Dec 29, 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by htown (Post 22045564)
Right but I wasn't impressed with this location. There is literally a Westin down the street.

IMO, mentioning "lounge" is a moot point. If you listed the above in the first post, then it would make more sense to me.

pjsantoro Dec 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by htown (Post 22040738)
The W in Austin has the best location. However, I haven't stayed there as a Platinum.

I'm a big fan of the W in Austin...great location and just a nice hotel. They also have residences at this particular W, which impacts things like the size and quality of the gym (this hotel has excellent gym & pool facilities). Pricing at this property, along with all hotels in Austin, can be extremely variable based on what is going on in town when you are looking to visit...

Oxon Flyer Dec 29, 2013 3:28 pm

It's been pointed out that, for some reason, we've never had a general discussion thread on where to stay in the Austin area (which is kinda strange, given the connections this forum has with that part of the world... ;)), so I've retitled and added to the Master Thread index.

/mod

controller1 Dec 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 22046616)
It's been pointed out that, for some reason, we've never had a general discussion thread on where to stay in the Austin area (which is kinda strange, given the connections this forum has with that part of the world... ;)), so I've retitled and added to the Master Thread index.

/mod

^ Thanks

htown Dec 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by pjsantoro (Post 22046255)
I'm a big fan of the W in Austin...great location and just a nice hotel. They also have residences at this particular W, which impacts things like the size and quality of the gym (this hotel has excellent gym & pool facilities). Pricing at this property, along with all hotels in Austin, can be extremely variable based on what is going on in town when you are looking to visit...

How are the upgrades as a Platinum? I've only been here as gold and didn't get any upgrades.

ceamus1 Dec 29, 2013 9:05 pm

I've stayed at The Sheraton, the W, and the Aloft at the Domain

I liked the Aloft, but it's not close to anything - 20 minute drive to downtown. Great plat recognition - personalized note and amenity delivered to room.

The W is better location than the Sheraton, but the Sheraton isn't that far. The W is nice, but I did not receive anything other than my amenity (points) for being platinum. I found some of the hotel's rules (for the pool and such) to be annoying and the staff members weren't exactly friendly about it. That said, the party is definitely at the W.

The Sheraton was just a standard Sheraton. No upgrade to write home about, the lounge was functional. Walkable to everywhere downtown.