Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin, TX : Which SPG property, where to stay? General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by 466SHH
the Domain is right on Mopac (a toll road) so you can avoid at least some of the Austin traffic if you don't mind paying a toll.
MOPAC (the expressway between the Westin at the Domain and downtown is not a toll road (except for a short segment farther north near Round Rock).

MOPAC is currently being expanded to add tolled express lanes ......
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Which property for a free night?

Which downtown property would you pick for a weekend stay if you had 2 free SPG nights to use? We'll just be doing some sightseeing and hopefully eating a few good meals.
Thx

PS I have no status with SPG so not looking at u/g or freebies.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 3, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by philemer
Which downtown property would you pick for a weekend stay if you had 2 free SPG nights to use? We'll just be doing some sightseeing and hopefully eating a few good meals.
Thx

PS I have no status with SPG so not looking at u/g or freebies.
W is the nicest, so that would be my choice if you're OK with everything else that comes along with a W hotel on the weekend. Next the Westin and then the Sheraton only as a last resort.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spgplat21
W is the nicest, so that would be my choice if you're OK with everything else that comes along with a W hotel on the weekend. Next the Westin and then the Sheraton only as a last resort.
i liked the sheraton. also: it was next to franklin bbq.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terpzone
i liked the sheraton. also: it was next to franklin bbq.
We will be having one meal at Franklin BBQ. (1 point for the Sheraton).

Which of the 3 properties would be the quietest at night?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by philemer
We will be having one meal at Franklin BBQ. (1 point for the Sheraton).

Which of the 3 properties would be the quietest at night?
Well maybe that's 2 points for the Sheraton then. It's right off the interstate and there isn't any nightlife in the immediate area so it's probably the quietest. The Westin gets lots of noise complaints here and on tripadvisor because of poor sound insulation so if that's a concern I would probably strike that hotel as an option. The W bar downstairs is loud and generally more people out and about in that area at night, but in my experience the hotel has great sound insulation so I've never had any noise issues.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well maybe that's 2 points for the Sheraton then. It's right off the interstate and there isn't any nightlife in the immediate area so it's probably the quietest. The Westin gets lots of noise complaints here and on tripadvisor because of poor sound insulation so if that's a concern I would probably strike that hotel as an option. The W bar downstairs is loud and generally more people out and about in that area at night, but in my experience the hotel has great sound insulation so I've never had any noise issues.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have a 1 day meeting near the Westin and then probably Franklin's for dinner. Then 2 days to tour the area. Decisions....
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
downtown Westin by the convention center

Has anyone stayed here? I can't really find much info on it. Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I'm looking for info on the Westin downtown too. Does it have suites? We'd like to book multiple suites if possible for our group.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by u2g0d
I'm looking for info on the Westin downtown too. Does it have suites? We'd like to book multiple suites if possible for our group.
The Westin does have some suites... they are not bookable on-line (also not classified as "standard suites" so PLT upgrades seem unlikely), so you will have to phone the Hotel or SPG to book.

You might want to take at look at the W as an alternative for booking multiple suites. Depending on your dates room rates can be high in Austin. Lots of new hotels being constructed but demand exceeds supply for many weekends.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I'm bringing up this told thread as some new Starwood properties have opened in Austin (Element, Aloft, ...).

Which Starwood property would you recommend for a first time visitor?
I would likely have a rental car and would like to work from the hotel as well as see a bit of the city.
I will only have one day/night there, in the beginning of December.

I loved the W Hongkong, but hated the W Istanbul and didn't really like the W NYC Times Square.
I feel that W hotels in the US tend to have a "cheap" feel to them, with simpler materials, chipped furniture etc.
I am feeling a bit inclied to try the Element or Aloft actually.

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I'm bringing up this told thread as some new Starwood properties have opened in Austin (Element, Aloft, ...).

Which Starwood property would you recommend for a first time visitor?
I would likely have a rental car and would like to work from the hotel as well as see a bit of the city.
I will only have one day/night there, in the beginning of December.

I loved the W Hongkong, but hated the W Istanbul and didn't really like the W NYC Times Square.
I feel that W hotels in the US tend to have a "cheap" feel to them, with simpler materials, chipped furniture etc.
I am feeling a bit inclied to try the Element or Aloft actually.

Thanks!
Haven't stayed at the W Austin, but IMO the W brand's are great in the first 5 or 10 years, then struggle to refresh their hard product for they are trendy and no cookie cutter. It isn't timeless like a StR or LC property. So to stay current with the theme (that maybe outdated) and sporadically replace worn out furniture or whatnot is more of a challenge for W.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone have any new advice - specifically the new element vs the downtown westin?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I stayed at the Westin Downtown in December and liked it. It’s a standard Westin, but I liked the location and they had very good eggs Bénédicte for breakfast.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Thanks ChocolateFactory - Has anyone stayed at the element or aloft and can give an idea of the differences between them and the more traditional hotels downtown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.