Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-and-stay-2199
Print Wikipost

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

We visited for 3 nights in October on an Award stay and as PPE+A were upgraded to a similar Makassar Suite as hockeyinsider. We’ve visited PdG before but this was our favorite Suite. IIRC the hotel allowed us to have our continental breakfast daily as room service. The staff was gracious per usual and we definitely plan to stay here next time we return to Paris.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Darker colors and champagne and chocolates. I'd be very happy with this suite upgrade too, regardless of the breakfast arrangement that people are criticizing.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I think this hotel is in a difficult position.

There's no question the Four Season George V is better. When I stayed the Prince de Galles was dead -- like zero atomsphere and life whatsoever. The doormen stood inside until a customer approached the doors. At the George V, the doormen were always outside. Every time I walked by there the fashionable sorts were coming and going. You could see there was life and lots of action in the bars and restaurants from the street and through the windows. None of that at the Prince de Galles. Granted, the quiet, almost residential atmosphere will appeal to many guests.

I just think it puts Prince de Galles in a difficult position because they would almost be better off being a really good 4-star or 5-star boutique hotel instead of trying to be a 5-star luxury hotel when the differences between them and the neighboring hotel are so pronounced. Heck, the wine list at the Prince de Galles was easily the most limited and pathetic I've ever seen.

If you're going for a 60,000 points-per-night property in Paris then go with the Prince de Galles, at least until we get some reports on the other new Luxury Collection properties. However, if you want to save some money and points then maybe stay elsewhere, unless this is your honeymoon and you want to get laid in luxury and, if you get a suite, multiple rooms. Between two, spacious, walk-in closets; the walk-in shower; the bathroom itself; the living room; the bedroom; and not counting the hallway to the bathroom, my room had 7 spaces for a honeymooning couple to get to know each other, intimately.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 31, 2018 at 5:14 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It should be noted that not everyone will appreciate the George V’s own brand of Russian oligarch meets Emirati Sheikha LV shopping weekend chic.

Sure, the George V is one of the most famous hotels in the world and I’d be a hypocrite if I were to say I’d turn down a €50K free stay there, but the ostentatiousness of it combined with the difficult guests, the thousands of Instagramming Russians and the American tourists acting like they’re in Eurodisney do create a particular atmosphere.

The PdG meanwhile is private, relaxing, the Art Deco design is on point, the restaurant both understated and endowed with a Michelin star from one of France’s best female chefs and the room designs tasteful and we executed with not a gold replica Grecian vase in sight.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It should be noted that not everyone will appreciate the George V’s own brand of Russian oligarch meets Emirati Sheikha LV shopping weekend chic.

Sure, the George V is one of the most famous hotels in the world and I’d be a hypocrite if I were to say I’d turn down a €50K free stay there, but the ostentatiousness of it combined with the difficult guests, the thousands of Instagramming Russians and the American tourists acting like they’re in Eurodisney do create a particular atmosphere.

The PdG meanwhile is private, relaxing, the Art Deco design is on point, the restaurant both understated and endowed with a Michelin star from one of France’s best female chefs and the room designs tasteful and we executed with not a gold replica Grecian vase in sight.
I recognized this in saying the quiet, residential-like atmosphere will appeal to some, but based on what I saw and the trip reports I've read the Four Seasons Hotel George V is at least 1/2-star or even 1-star better in service and execution. The fact that the wine list at the Prince de Galles only had 2 or 3 champagnes on it was shocking.

If these hotels were a block or two blocks apart it wouldn't be an issue. But considering they are literally next to each other the differences are obvious. It doesn't help that many trip reports have indicated Prince de Galles guests often go next door for drinks.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:47 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

++1

We really aren’t into the vibe next door- way over the top for us. The only time we were intrigued by our neighbors was when The Rolling Stones were staying there.

We much prefer the quiet understated (no bling) atmosphere at PdG.

Did anyone here visit many years ago when Jean-Pierre Hasse was the Head concierge? He was our favorite Concierge ever.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A wine list can be good without being excessively long (leading to large inventory and storage costs for the restaurant). If the place had a bad wine list, it would not have a Michelin star.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A wine list can be good without being excessively long (leading to large inventory and storage costs for the restaurant). If the place had a bad wine list, it would not have a Michelin star.
The restaurant has a Michelin star, the bar does not.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think this hotel is in a difficult position.

There's no question the Four Season George V is better. When I stayed the Prince de Galles was dead -- like zero atomsphere and life whatsoever. The doormen stood inside until a customer approached the doors. At the George V, the doormen were always outside. Every time I walked by there the fashionable sorts were coming and going. You could see there was life and lots of action in the bars and restaurants from the street and through the windows. None of that at the Prince de Galles. Granted, the quiet, almost residential atmosphere will appeal to many guests.

I just think it puts Prince de Galles in a difficult position because they would almost be better off being a really good 4-star or 5-star boutique hotel instead of trying to be a 5-star luxury hotel when the differences between them and the neighboring hotel are so pronounced. Heck, the wine list at the Prince de Galles was easily the most limited and pathetic I've ever seen.

If you're going for a 60,000 points-per-night property in Paris then go with the Prince de Galles, at least until we get some reports on the other new Luxury Collection properties. However, if you want to save some money and points then maybe stay elsewhere, unless this is your honeymoon and you want to get laid in luxury and, if you get a suite, multiple rooms. Between two, spacious, walk-in closets; the walk-in shower; the bathroom itself; the living room; the bedroom; and not counting the hallway to the bathroom, my room had 7 spaces for a honeymooning couple to get to know each other, intimately.
I think it may prudent to remind you and everyone else that YOU think the FSGV is a better hotel for YOU compared with the PdG. That you think that puts the PdG in a difficult position is a premise that I do not share. Those premises apply to you and shouldn’t be taken as conclusions for everyone or anyone else.

I’m sure we all can acknowledge that there are any number of amazing hotels in Paris to suit many and multiple tastes even at the 5 star luxury level. While your comments focus entirely on the FSGV next door and the PdG, there also are the Ritz, the Park Hyatt, the Mandarin Oriental, Le Meurice, and even the Westin and Hotel de Vendome, all 5 star luxury options of varying detail, size, atmosphere, and offerings within a few blocks or so of each other. And just another few blocks away is the newly restored Rosewood Hotel de Crillon. Not a few blocks away from both the FSVG and PdG are the Peninsula, Plaza Athenee, and Shangri-la hotels, as well.

Your assessment of the PdG and FSGV happens in a vacuum that is not realistic for most, and particularly for those of us who stay most often in 5 star luxury hotels. A quick review of the Paris thread in the Luxury Hotels Foru, will quickly make everyone realize that there is no consensus for the best luxury hotel in Paris but instead for quite a sizable pool of incredible luxury hotel options that few cities can match. No one luxury hotel is in any difficult position relative to the many others, let alone one particular hotel, when they all can achieve such high occupancy and such high room rates in a city that has more tourist traffic and plenty of business traffic on a constant and consistent basis.

While I can understand that you and others like the FSGV better than the PdG, I hope you can understand that I and others despise the FSGV and yet love the PdG. I have visited almost all of the aforementioned luxury properties in Paris, and I can tell you that the PdG has no problem holding its own agains the FSGV. They are different and yet both amazing hotels that appeal to different subsets of the luxury customer base. I don’t deny that more people will see the FSGV as the better hotel, but that doesn’t preclude the PdG from being an incredible hotel in its own right. Just as is true for all those other luxury hotels. Heck, I’d say the PdG does a better job holding its own against the FSGV than the Park Hyatt does against the Ritz.

Not everyone will enjoy or want to stay at a Palace designated hotel like the FSGV, Crillon, Ritz, PH, Meurice, Athenee, Bristol, MO, Royal Monceau, Pen, etc.

Personally, I love the PdG much more than the PH, having stayed at both—and yet I love the Vendome area of Paris far more than the Golden Triangle area with the PdG, FSGV, Pen, Athenee, etc. But it was a mere 20 min walk or so for us to get from the PdG to the Crillon. I also love the Crillon, Pen, and MO far more than the FSGV, Ritz, Bristol, etc,

ALSO: I’m a wine fanatic, and I dispute your premise that the PdG wine list is in any way limited—at both the PdG or its 1* restaurant, La Scene. We spent quite a bit of time in both only last year. And I’ve spent too much time at those other hotels and their bars and restaurants to know better. Perhaps you didn’t request the reserve list as we did?

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it may prudent to remind you and everyone else that YOU think the FSGV is a better hotel for YOU compared with the PdG. That you think that puts the PdG in a difficult position is a premise that I do not share. Those premises apply to you and shouldn’t be taken as conclusions for everyone or anyone else.

I never said the Four Seasons Hotel George V was a "better hotel for [me]." I said many of the reports and reviews have said they went door to the competing hotel. I also commented on the somewhat unusual situation of having two 5-star hotels literally next to each, as opposed to say across the street or down the block, and how the atmosphere can impact the impression and perception of one hotel or both hotels.

I’m sure we all can acknowledge that there are any number of amazing hotels in Paris to suit many and multiple tastes even at the 5 star luxury level. While your comments focus entirely on the FSGV next door and the PdG, there also are the Ritz, the Park Hyatt, the Mandarin Oriental, Le Meurice, and even the Westin and Hotel de Vendome, all 5 star luxury options of varying detail, size, atmosphere, and offerings within a few blocks or so of each other. And just another few blocks away is the newly restored Rosewood Hotel de Crillon. Not a few blocks away from both the FSVG and PdG are the Peninsula, Plaza Athenee, and Shangri-la hotels, as well.

Some of these hotels are actually palace-designated, which is, effectively, a 6-star rating. So, for example, the Ritz Paris would not be in the same category as the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection.

Ignoring the decor and furnishings, the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection was not significantly better than the Renaissance Republique, which is also independently rated 5-stars. Yes, the decor and furnishings are better. Yes, the restaurant has a Michelin star. Yes, some of the service was more polished and elegant. But, on the whole, the facilities, amenities and services were on par with each other.

It's really only some aspects of the soft product -- for example, the Prince de Galles has a dedicated doorman -- as well as the quality of the decor and furnishings that differentiate the Prince de Galles from the Renaissance Republique.

At the Renaissance Republique, every elite status guest gets a personalized pre-arrival email. I don't know about guests without status. At the Prince de Galles, I didn't get a pre-arrival email. At the Intercontinental Le Grand, I also didn't receive a pre-arrival email and the hotel itself didn't respond to the three emails I sent to the general email address listed on its website and also given to me by IHG.

At all three properties, I was never told "no" when I made a request or asked. That's good service. For example, I like to send mail or postcards when I visit somewhere. Whenever I gave it to the bellman, concierge or front desk to handle, it was done with no questions asked and no telling me I had to do it myself at the post office (some hotels will claim they don't have postage stamps or a franking machine) or that I had to go to another desk in the office. Each employee at each hotel handled it then and there. One of the hotels, the Intercontinental Le Grand, didn't even charge me for the postage.

The Prince de Galles took five days to send my folio by email, but the Renaissance Republique did it immediately.

At the Renaissance Republique, the new general manager invited me to drinks and I gained valuable insight into
the hotel, where she wants to take it and she sat and asked me questions on how it could improve. That's impressive. At the Prince de Galles, my ambassador and I had to fight for an upgrade to a suite when the hotel was completely empty and all of my requests (extra feather pillows and extra towels) were ignored. They also sent an amenity to my room that was specifically listed as do-not-send on my ambassador preferences. I also never met a manager at the Prince de Galles.

So, every hotel has its pros and cons, most of which are based on soft product; namely service. Sure, there's objective criteria, such as the age of TVs or the quality of the furnishings, but the actual design and style of decor are very subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

I know many will dismiss the Renaissance Republique because of its brand. Others will dismiss it because of the boutique-inspired style, but the property is independently rated 5 stars. It is one of the better Renaissance properties. I told the new general manager that her property was probably a better fit under either the Luxury Collection or the Autograph Collection brands than Renaissance.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm Reason: edit
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended

ALSO: I’m a wine fanatic, and I dispute your premise that the PdG wine list is in any way limited—at both the PdG or its 1* restaurant, La Scene. We spent quite a bit of time in both only last year. And I’ve spent too much time at those other hotels and their bars and restaurants to know better. Perhaps you didn’t request the reserve list as we did?
I can't speak to the restaurant. My experience was at the bar, which I've previously stated. The wine list in the bar is limited to 2 or 3 champagnes. That's it. The house champagne is Louis Perrier, which is perfectly fine but I expected some more choices. For example, the Intercontinental Le Grand had a more exhaustive champagne list in its bar.

To my knowledge, none of the three hotels I stayed at -- the Renaissance Republique, Prince de Galles or the Intercontinental Le Grand -- saber a bottle of champagne.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

The fact that the wine list at the Prince de Galles only had 2 or 3 champagnes on it was shocking.
Shocking? Really? The bar has a super limited menu- with 3 champagnes—Laurent-Perrier Brut, Laurent-Perrier CUVÉE ROSE and Philpponnat Le Grand Blanc. They also offer 4 white wines and 4 red wines.

The Prince de Galles restaurant on the other hand boasts an exceptional wine cellar which holds 23,000 bottles including Vega Sicilia Vertical, a selection from Burgundy vineyards, such as Romanée-Conti, Domaine Tollot-Beaut and Geantet-Pansiot in addition to a large selection of Bordeaux wines. The champagne list is extensive. As noted elsewhere, one can order from the wine list in the bar.

Regarding the bar (with apologies to Daniel Webster):
It is, Sir, as I have said, a small bar. And yet there are those who love it!

There is a reason that the beautiful Art Deco space designed by interior architect Bruno Borrione makes lists like “12 Most Beautiful Bars in Paris” “World’s Best Bars” “Top 10 Romantic Bars in Paris” and others

EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by damon88; Dec 31, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I never said the Four Seasons Hotel George V was a "better hotel for [me]." I said many of the reports and reviews have said they went door to the competing hotel. I also commented on the somewhat unusual situation of having two 5-star hotels literally next to each, as opposed to say across the street or down the block, and how the atmosphere can impact the impression and perception of one hotel or both hotels.
Yeah, sorry, that isn’t how I pereceived your comments. Also, it isn’t unusual to have 5 star hotels adjacent for just very close to each other. The Ritz isn’t even a block away from the Park Hyatt. I also pointed out how close so many of the other hotel are to each other. I think being next door to each other is more an issue for you than for most luxury hotel customers. I honestly don’t think being next door to each other is much different than being a block or two apart.

Some of these hotels are actually palace-designated, which is, effectively, a 6-star rating. So, for example, the Ritz Paris would not be in the same category as the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection.
The FSGV is a palace hotel. As are the MO, Ritz, PH, Crillon, Athenee, etc. They are 5 star hotels that the French tourism ministry deems most spectacular (and prestigious). They aren’t necessarily better than other 5 star hotels in the same way that the most famous wines aren’t necessarily better than other wines. Again, as I said before, not everyone wants to stay at a Palace designated type hotel. It doesn’t make it better for everyone.

Ignoring the decor and furnishings, the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection was not significantly better than the Renaissance Republique, which is also independently rated 5-stars. Yes, the decor and furnishings are better. Yes, the restaurant has a Michelin star. Yes, some of the service was more polished and elegant. But, on the whole, the facilities, amenities and services were on par with each other. It's really only some aspects of the soft product -- for example, the Prince de Galles has a dedicated doorman -- as well as the quality of the decor and furnishings that differentiate the Prince de Galles from the Renaissance Republique.
To more or less quote you with my parenthetical summaries:

(1) The decor and furnishings are better at the PdG

(2) The PdG restaurant has a Michelin star (the restaurant and food/beverage at the PdG are better)

(3) The service is more polished and elegant at the PdG (the PdG service is better)

(4) It’s really only some aspects of soft product at the PdG (the PdG soft product—service and food/beverage—are better)

(5) Facilities, amenities, and services are equivalent. (I think you’ve already outlined why that isn’t true!)

Basically, you’ve just outlined why the PdG is better.

I think it’s great if you like the Renaissance as much as the PdG. But that doesn’t make the Renaissance essentially the same. The service, decor, furnishings, food and beverage, bar, and overall experience are better at the PdG—as you pretty much just shared yourself.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:51 pm

Your assessment of the PdG and FSGV happens in a vacuum that is not realistic for most, and particularly for those of us who stay most often in 5 star luxury hotels. A quick review of the Paris thread in the Luxury Hotels Foru, will quickly make everyone realize that there is no consensus for the best luxury hotel in Paris but instead for quite a sizable pool of incredible luxury hotel options that few cities can match. No one luxury hotel is in any difficult position relative to the many others, let alone one particular hotel, when they all can achieve such high occupancy and such high room rates in a city that has more tourist traffic and plenty of business traffic on a constant and consistent basis.

While I can understand that you and others like the FSGV better than the PdG, I hope you can understand that I and others despise the FSGV and yet love the PdG. I have visited almost all of the aforementioned luxury properties in Paris, and I can tell you that the PdG has no problem holding its own agains the FSGV. They are different and yet both amazing hotels that appeal to different subsets of the luxury customer base. I don’t deny that more people will see the FSGV as the better hotel, but that doesn’t preclude the PdG from being an incredible hotel in its own right. Just as is true for all those other luxury hotels. Heck, I’d say the PdG does a better job holding its own against the FSGV than the Park Hyatt does against the Ritz.

Not everyone will enjoy or want to stay at a Palace designated hotel like the FSGV, Crillon, Ritz, PH, Meurice, Athenee, Bristol, MO, Royal Monceau, Pen, etc.

Personally, I love the PdG much more than the PH, having stayed at both—and yet I love the Vendome area of Paris far more than the Golden Triangle area with the PdG, FSGV, Pen, Athenee, etc. But it was a mere 20 min walk or so for us to get from the PdG to the Crillon. I also love the Crillon, Pen, and MO far more than the FSGV, Ritz, Bristol, etc,

The Crillon is closer to PdG than PH, Ritz, and Hotel de Vendome.

I too would be shocked if the hotel were to refuse to serve a wine on the restaurant's wine list either in the bar or through room service. Even if the restaurant is a different entity, surely a hotel of this sort can find some way to transfer the bottle on the books or put it on a separate bill and serve it to a guest in almost any location within the hotel.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Crillon is closer to PdG than PH, Ritz, and Hotel de Vendome.
Sorry, friend, but you’re mistaken. The Crillon is a 1.8 km walk from the PdG. The Crillon is only 0.9 km from the PH, 0.8 km from the Ritz, and 0.7 km from the Hotel de Vendome.

I’m not a big city fan in most cases, but Paris is one of the very few cities I love—and in which I’ve visited and explored (visiting rooms and suites) and enjoyed meals at restaurants and drinks at bars at most of the top hotels. I am a sucker for a good hotel bar. I still haven’t done a more formal visit at the Reserve, Le Meurice, or Plaza Athenee, but those are on my to-do list for our next visit (hopefully in Oct 2019 while staying again at the PdG).

I too would be shocked if the hotel were to refuse to serve a wine on the restaurant's wine list either in the bar or through room service. Even if the restaurant is a different entity, surely a hotel of this sort can find some way to transfer the bottle on the books or put it on a separate bill and serve it to a guest in almost any location within the hotel.
I hosted my husband’s surprise bday bash at the PdG bar, followed with dinner at La Scene last Oct 2018. We had extensive options for wines from a very impressive wine list in both the bar and at La Scene. It wasn’t an issue at all.
damon88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.