Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maksimfa
Got the Platinum Challenge yesterday, and was updated on my account a little past midnight. Put in for the Silver upgrade on United through the link.

Already cancelled some Delta tickets I bought a day ago and rebooked on United. woot woot. Plus now I can really use ZFV fares.
Got united silver two days later. Woot woot.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:11 pm

I have the United credit card- but most of my travel is through my employer and centrally billed - so I don't use my United card- now with silver I get the free bag, priority boarding and E+ at check in. I didn't get these benefits with my business travel before.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Has anyone redeemed a vacation package getting miles for UA? If so, did you receive the extra miles from the new conversion rates?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mbece
Has anyone redeemed a vacation package getting miles for UA? If so, did you receive the extra miles from the new conversion rates?
+1

Curious about whether the conversion rates are good enough to take advantage of. I'm at nearly 500K in Marriott points and only 70K in United. Wondering if I should consolidate United into Marriott or keep 'em there.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:46 am
Suspended

It's only temporary... If u don't get to the match goal MR takes away the goal level In 2014
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Safti
I want to book a ff seat. I have 100K ff miles on AP and no ff miles on United MP. I now have silver elite status on United as a result of my Marriott Plat status. The flights I want to book are all on United metal out of YYZ. If I book through AP using my ff miles, how do I go about using my United silver elite upgrades with an AP booking?
What UA/MP Silver upgrades are you intending to use? FF award tickets are not upgradeable (if you're talking economy to business/first class). As for getting your MP account number onto the reservation, once you book your Aeroplan award flights, call UA and ask them for their record locator and that you'd like to select seats and add your MP number to the booking. The only upgrade you are able to get on such an award as a Silver elite would be moving into an E+ seat at OLCI or airport check-in.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mbece
NOPE...not yet.

I did convert a TP a few weeks ago...and emailed MRCS with the language on the T&C's. Nothing says "a date TBD"...thought I could catch CS up.

Well...I get an email back..."you have to register".....which I did, so I thought I was in! I emailed back...I did register...and got the "it will be sometime in august" reply.

I need to convert 4 of the TP's and want this...will mean an extra 48K miles!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
So I just got my platinum card from Marriott and the conversion rates for UA are listed as a benefit. I think it's 20% more when getting miles vs points but only 10% more miles when redeeming a vacation package.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shareholder
What UA/MP Silver upgrades are you intending to use? FF award tickets are not upgradeable (if you're talking economy to business/first class). As for getting your MP account number onto the reservation, once you book your Aeroplan award flights, call UA and ask them for their record locator and that you'd like to select seats and add your MP number to the booking. The only upgrade you are able to get on such an award as a Silver elite would be moving into an E+ seat at OLCI or airport check-in.
Members with any of the following credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades even when traveling on award tickets, and regardless of the use of the qualifying card to actually purchase the ticket. The likelihood of a UA Silver getting any CPU whatsoever is another topic entirely.

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Originally Posted by ymcarthur2
I already have a free bag with my United credit card. Do I get a second free bag with this partnership?
Nope. I find many of the CC benefits are useless to me as an elite. Any boarding, baggage, checkin line, etc, privileges are superseded by my status. Mostly I have the CC for the miles, club access, and the above mentioned upgrading of award tickets.

Originally Posted by marion10
I have the United credit card- but most of my travel is through my employer and centrally billed - so I don't use my United card- now with silver I get the free bag, priority boarding and E+ at check in. I didn't get these benefits with my business travel before.
While this is technically true, there are many reports of people getting the benefit anyway as long as their Mileage Plus number is entered into the reservation. It has been suggested that having the mileage plus card loaded into your MP profile may have a positive effect here. I have never personally used this (status) and YMMV.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Aug 15, 2013 at 9:08 am
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:22 am

So what happens after January 2014? Will this United/Marriott partnership continue? I'm a longtime Platinum, and have already been upgraded on two united flights to first, and enjoying the benefit. Curious, what happens after January 2014?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
So what happens after January 2014? Will this United/Marriott partnership continue? I'm a longtime Platinum, and have already been upgraded on two united flights to first, and enjoying the benefit. Curious, what happens after January 2014?
You're out of SFO and you've already been upgraded on two UA flights as Silver? ^
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
You're out of SFO and you've already been upgraded on two UA flights as Silver? ^
I would think the difficult of getting upgraded has to do more with the specific flight than with the origin city.

There's often no problem for an AA lower-level elite to get upgraded (though in the AA case it takes "stickers") on a mainline DFW-HSV (Huntsville AL) flight. Yes, it's from DFW, but it is to HSV (where the first class cabin is very rarely filled up). It's too short a flight for a meal, etc.

I would think it's completely different getting upgraded on a 45-minute flight from SFO than a transcon from SFO.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Members with any of the following credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades even when traveling on award tickets, and regardless of the use of the qualifying card to actually purchase the ticket. The likelihood of a UA Silver getting any CPU whatsoever is another topic entirely.

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

<snip>
For those not familiar with United, be aware that Complimentary Premier Upgrades are really just for domestic segments to get upgraded to a regular domestic first class cabin.

These upgrades are not for upgrades to international business class...or even certain long-haul domestic segments.

Just don't want anyone to have false expectations.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I would think the difficult of getting upgraded has to do more with the specific flight than with the origin city.

There's often no problem for an AA lower-level elite to get upgraded (though in the AA case it takes "stickers") on a mainline DFW-HSV (Huntsville AL) flight. Yes, it's from DFW, but it is to HSV (where the first class cabin is very rarely filled up). It's too short a flight for a meal, etc.

I would think it's completely different getting upgraded on a 45-minute flight from SFO than a transcon from SFO.
No, actually not particularly. What you say was more true back in the day when we used the e500-milers to support our upgrades. We rationed them, so less desirable flights were easier to get upgrades on as a lower-level elite. Now every elite is added to every upgrade list on every domestic flight. And SFO, as the 1K capital of the world, is a tough origin. There are bound to be enough higher level elites on pretty much any ex-SFO flight to makes upgrades as a Silver unlikely. Hub-to-hub flights remain toughest of all and YMMV.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
And SFO, as the 1K capital of the world, is a tough origin.
WADR, I think that title goes to IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.