Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Seems like this hotel didnt get that much love before the Cat 8 move! I see the Maldives and Bora Bora properties and the St Regis properties in Rome and Florence in FT getting attention but wondering to why this one didnt!
I don’t think that’s true! The Gritti has been lauded quite often by most in the former Starwood Forum and now this current combined Marriott Forum—and by many in the even more demanding Luxury Fourm.

I also can can say that the Gritti, StR Florence, StR New York, StR San Francisco, Suiran Kyoto, and Hotel Imperial Vienna are among my favorite hotel stays of all time.
rogo, damon88 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I don’t think that’s true! The Gritti has been lauded quite often by most in the former Starwood Forum and now this current combined Marriott Forum—and by many in the even more demanding Luxury Fourm.

I also can can say that the Gritti, StR Florence, StR New York, StR San Francisco, Suiran Kyoto, and Hotel Imperial Vienna are among my favorite hotel stays of all time.
Yes, the Gritti was long lauded, and was a major factor in why we booked it for a stay last year. And it delivers. The StR Florence also delivered, but perhaps not with the same spectacle and wonder of the Gritti. Both will make my all-time favorites list as well (my list is laughable compared to @bhrubin )
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
We have just concluded a short stay here and we found it magnificent. My comments below are in line with what other posters have said, so below is a condensed summary. Happy to share some photos of the suite if people are interested.

Pros:
- The property is truly exceptional, with stunning decor.
- My SNA was accepted and we were upgraded to the highest category suite listed as eligible.
- The suite itself was stunning. With over 700 nights with Starriott, no other suite I have stayed in comes close. The rooms looked visually incredible with a real period feel, the bed was very comfortable and the marble bathroom was a delight. Although Asian suites I've stayed in have been larger, none had the sheer quality of the Gritti.
- General titanium recognition was very solid: My girlfriend was celebrating her birthday and they told me because of my status a cake would be sent to my room free of charge. This was greatly appreciated.
- The concierges were incredibly helpful and some of the best I have seen. Every interaction was flawless.
- The breakfast spread was very high quality and service was great. The restaurant outdoor space gives a truly superb view onto the canal.
- We much preferred the location to the Danieli (which we visited the lobby), the Gritti was in a quieter area and everything felt much more relaxed.

Cons:
- We had dinner in the restaurant. It felt overpriced for the quality we got. The 'formal' dress code wasn't also enforced as someone next to me rocked up in a hooded sweater. Not a big deal, but annoying as we'd dressed up for it. Finally, the 10% member discount still exists, but I had to chase twice for it.
- The checkout experience was weak. They are struggling with Marriott's IT (shock, I know) and had a few problems with switching my credit card pre-auth to actually posting and making the payment. They also couldn't provide me a folio with my rewards number on it (even masked), which is frustrating since I am often having to chase for stays to post.

Those are very minor issues though. Simply skip dinner in the restaurant to resolve and hope Marriott IT gets better when you get to your stay.

Bottom Line: This is the kind of property you need to find an excuse to visit, one of the very best in the program. It is a truly special place and I cannot recommend it enough.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by MrM2016
- My SNA was accepted and we were upgraded to the highest category suite listed as eligible.
- The suite itself was stunning. With over 700 nights with Starriott, no other suite I have stayed in comes close. The rooms looked visually incredible with a real period feel, the bed was very comfortable and the marble bathroom was a delight. Although Asian suites I've stayed in have been larger, none had the sheer quality of the Gritti.
Which suite did you get?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you for this excellent write up, did you see many kids at the hotel? Is it kid friendly? and also would 2 days or 5 days be better at the property?

I have a 5 day booking in June and 2 night booking in December and will cancel one but cant decide at the moment which!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
We got the Serenissima Suite which looked out on the back of the property to the courtyard and the Santa Maria del Giglio church. I believe this is the second lowest suite category, there was one below it in the SNA options. There are something like 4 or 5 suites above this category, which are kept out of the upgrade pool. I assume these have canal views and balconies. The suite we were in was 'sold out' (or full from upgrades) for the weekend we were staying, but I checked the next weekend and the cash rate was about €2500 per night. I prepaid €650 per night for our room so I felt very, very satisfied with the value I achieved from the SNA.

On the topic of children: I saw a few families with teenagers, which the property was fine for. I don't recall seeing any children under the age of 10, although when we checked in the person adjacent mentioned he had brought his two young children. If you've got kids aged between 2 and 12, I wouldn't recommend this as the environment to bring them, more for their sake than anything else. They will likely find it very boring and stuffy. For dining in the hotel, you need to judge how well behaved your children are. Even at the buffet breakfast, it's quite a formal experience with table after table of romantic couples wanting a serene dining experience. You don't want to be that person who introduces screaming children into the experience - this isn't the Bahamas Atlantis resort.

Regarding length of stay: We did 3 days/2 nights, which was a perfect weekend getaway. We always utilise the platinum/titanium 4pm late checkout to get the most out of these short stays and then fly in the evening. This was offered without any issue by the Gritti. My partner and I felt that we had seen and done everything we had wanted to by this point, but probably would have preferred a third night if time had allowed. I feel 5 nights is too long, with the possible exception if you want to honeymoon and prefer Venice to somewhere like the Maldives or Al Maha.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:27 pm

We are heading here in June and haven't been to this property for about 10-15 years. Has anyone been upgraded to a canal view? We are Titanium and we can use suite upgrades so I'm not sure if it's better to try here or Prince de Galles. We've stayed at Europa many times and had canal views with some beautiful suites but it's not open as St. Regis when we go. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to use SNA since it's the same time as the Vogalonga which is lots of fun but very busy. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 7, 2019, 11:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Gritti Palace and PdG suite upgrades are perhaps the best in the system. Personally I’d go with the Gritti above all as the Venetian Palace style is for more people a bit more unusual and special. If it doesn’t go through then you can always use it somewhere else instead.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We are heading here in June and haven't been to this property for about 10-15 years. Has anyone been upgraded to a canal view? We are Titanium and we can use suite upgrades so I'm not sure if it's better to try here or Prince de Galles. We've stayed at Europa many times and had canal views with some beautiful suites but it's not open as St. Regis when we go. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to use SNA since it's the same time as the Vogalonga which is lots of fun but very busy. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Just finished up a stay at both Gritti Palace and Hotel Danieli on my honeymoon. I’ll write a longer review when I get back home. I used a single 60k free night certificate for each room (before points increase). At Gritti, I booked a Venetian room and got a Venetian room as a plat elite. I emailed a few days ahead requesting that they put in an upgrade request for me. They replied asking me to confirm my stay and said they would put in a request. One day later, they emailed again asking to reconfirm saying the hotel was very busy due to a festival going on (which hadn’t even started yet). They seemed to be trying to walk me. Anyways, I reconfirmed and all was good from there but they wouldn’t upgrade me when I got there. Service was good, though, with a bottle of champagne in the room.

Fast forward to my Hotel Danieli stay a day later. I also emailed a day later (they are run by the same overall management but different people so they could see that I had a reservation at both hotels). I booked the a deluxe room and they upgraded me way up to a luxury king lagoon view excelsior room which was a higher cat than most of the non lagoon view suites which immediately made our stay much better. This upgrade was already confirmed when I used the mobile app check in too.

Hope that helps... if you have the ability to do so I almost recommend staying at both since it’s been a while for you if you’re willing to move. It’s literally a 5 minute vaporetto ride (3 stops away) from one hotel to another and the stations are right next to the hotels. Both hotels have their own unique views and charm.
Boraxo and margarita girl like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Couldn’t figure out how to edit my earlier post, but I can’t speak to PdG since I’ve never been there. Didn’t mean to throw out Hotel Danieli as an option but just wanted to include a comparison experience with upgrades since I just stayed.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Gritti Palace and PdG suite upgrades are perhaps the best in the system. Personally I’d go with the Gritti above all as the Venetian Palace style is for more people a bit more unusual and special. If it doesn’t go through then you can always use it somewhere else instead.
Originally Posted by Lookoutitzsean

Just finished up a stay at both Gritti Palace and Hotel Danieli on my honeymoon. I’ll write a longer review when I get back home. I used a single 60k free night certificate for each room (before points increase). At Gritti, I booked a Venetian room and got a Venetian room as a plat elite. I emailed a few days ahead requesting that they put in an upgrade request for me. They replied asking me to confirm my stay and said they would put in a request. One day later, they emailed again asking to reconfirm saying the hotel was very busy due to a festival going on (which hadn’t even started yet). They seemed to be trying to walk me. Anyways, I reconfirmed and all was good from there but they wouldn’t upgrade me when I got there. Service was good, though, with a bottle of champagne in the room.

Fast forward to my Hotel Danieli stay a day later. I also emailed a day later (they are run by the same overall management but different people so they could see that I had a reservation at both hotels). I booked the a deluxe room and they upgraded me way up to a luxury king lagoon view excelsior room which was a higher cat than most of the non lagoon view suites which immediately made our stay much better. This upgrade was already confirmed when I used the mobile app check in too.

Hope that helps... if you have the ability to do so I almost recommend staying at both since it’s been a while for you if you’re willing to move. It’s literally a 5 minute vaporetto ride (3 stops away) from one hotel to another and the stations are right next to the hotels. Both hotels have their own unique views and charm.
Thanks for the advice. We're really excited to give it a go! The Gritti sounds like one of the exceptional properties in the Marriott world and it's going to be a lot of fun. We head back to the Dolomites afterwards since we really like that area too and had a great experience at Cristallo a couple of years ago.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Thanks for the advice. We're really excited to give it a go! The Gritti sounds like one of the exceptional properties in the Marriott world and it's going to be a lot of fun. We head back to the Dolomites afterwards since we really like that area too and had a great experience at Cristallo a couple of years ago.
As expressed by others, it's a wonderful property and we had a phenomenal stay at the Gritti Palace a few years ago. I'm anxious to get back to Venice later this year and that visit will most certainly (barring the unforeseen) include a stay at the Gritti Palace. I'm sure you won't be disappointed in your stay.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Has anyone been upgraded to a canal view?
Yes. On my last stay, as a 1 night Ambassador Elite, was upgraded to the John Ruskin Suite - one of the 4 patron suites - and it was directly overlooking the canal. It was in the front right side of the building and it was beautiful.
dgreen12 and bhrubin like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Any experience with emailing them recently? I used the email above a few days ago and didn’t get an answer. Or are they just slow at answering?
Old May 21, 2019, 8:17 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
Any experience with emailing them recently? I used the email above a few days ago and didn’t get an answer. Or are they just slow at answering?
I have been getting overnight responses. i just updated the wiki. The email for the concierge was the Starwood one. One would hope it would forward automatically but I updated it to the one from which I am receiving responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.