Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
What is wrong with this hotel?

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm staying here at the moment. I won't be coming back despite W's being my preferred SPG brand.

I got upgraded to a Spectacular Room that had an envelope with my name on it in the room suggesting to me that they're not honouring the Platinum upgrade policy. Checking online now I see Cool Corner Rooms, Studio Suites and all the other suites except for Fantastic. Naughty.

They then took nearly an hour and two phone calls to bring up my baggage and now I keep getting people wandering into the room. Turndown service and someone else to bring up a couple macaroons. At least my room is cooling down - the AC was set to 27 degrees.

All I wanted to do was settle down with room service and a movie this evening, but rather oddly for a new hotel the TV doesn't appear to be interactive.

What is wrong with this hotel?

I am at this hotel right now, and I am experiencing the exact same issues. "Upgraded" to spectacular room (which btw is same size as Wonderful room), and yet Cool Corner Rooms, Studio Suites & Marvelous Suites are all available for sale right now on www.spg.com.

I checked in at almost 6pm, so perhaps they are still trying to "sell" their Suites. Or perhaps the inventory updating is so poor that many categories of room types, they forgot to remove. (I doubt it, and if someone books a Suite now, I wonder what happens. Maybe it will indeed be available.) And since this is a weekday, I would be surprised that the in-house reservation team have "forgotten" to update so many higher category inventories during office hours.

And I too received a pre-placed envelope addressed to my name in the "upgraded" Spectacular Room, exactly suggesting the same thing; they have no intention to honor the SPG Platinum upgrade policy. Naughty? Or blatant disregard of SPG rules?

And with the rest of the Starwood in Bangkok giving complimentary breakfast to Platinums, W Bangkok is the odd one out to insist this as a Platinum amenity.

And the rate of W is almost close to St Regis Bangkok and much more expensive than Sheraton Grande and Westin Bangkok.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I don't understand why any flyertalker bothers staying at this property. Scrolling through this thread shows issue after issue. Buyer beware.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I don't understand why any flyertalker bothers staying at this property. Scrolling through this thread shows issue after issue. Buyer beware.
+1. Too bad, W and Bangkok should belong in the same sentence.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
still place to avoid for me.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
If rate of this W not go down to 3xxx thb with BRG it's not worth to stay here
Many bad thing for this property.
-service
-breakfast
-transportation
-plat benefit

Even fourpoint after devaluation of plat benefit still worth more than W.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
And with the rest of the Starwood in Bangkok giving complimentary breakfast to Platinums, W Bangkok is the odd one out to insist this as a Platinum amenity.
Doesn't St Regis do it as well now, and the Aloft right from the beginning ?

And over at Royal Orchid Sheraton, "General" Hardie commands that the proper place for platinums to have their breakfast is in the lounge, even if you are willing to give up your 500 points
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:29 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mario33

And over at Royal Orchid Sheraton, "General" Hardie commands that the proper place for platinums to have their breakfast is in the lounge, even if you are willing to give up your 500 points
Yep. This is a topic where a lot of people have a misperception of what "everyone else" is doing.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
still place to avoid for me.
same here....
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

True, but most of the higher end hotels in BKK offer free breakfast in addition to Plat amenity. Only St Regis and ROS do not.

Le Meridien, Sheraton Grande (Luxury collection), Westin and Plaza Athenee all offer breakfast in addition to Plat amenity.

I don't think 4P and aLoft are competitors to the W (they are a lower price/value brand). In fact, the chain even defines them so by only offering you 250 points rather than 500 for the remainder.

So basically you have 3 (higher end) BKK hotels who take your points and 4 (higher end) who do not. Thus for me, the W (and ROS) are out, always (not solely for breakfast, but because of issues as described in this thread). Only the St Regis rises above it's poor breakfast policy and is worthy of consideration in spite of its shortsighted policy.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond

Is this Hardie who used to be at the Westin Bangkok?

If so, I had a discussion with him years ago about free in-room internet access to those staying on the club floors. His response was that I should stay somewhere else if I didn't want to pay for internet.

I was less than impressed.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:07 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

If so, I had a discussion with him years ago about free in-room internet access to those staying on the club floors. His response was that I should stay somewhere else if I didn't want to pay for internet.

It is the same man, indeed. Keith Hardie, General Manager, Royal Orchid Sheraton

Mr Hardie told me that platinums in Bangkok have been spoiled. And he is intent on "aligning" the benefits that the hotels here provide, to match the benefits that American Starwood hotels provide, which is only the platinum benefits described in the program, and nothing more. His quote to me was that the problem was the inconsistency. That I shouldn't be upset for being told that I can't have breakfast downstairs (while I was eating breakfast downstairs), I should be upset because the breakfast that I'd been given for years shouldn't have been given in the first place.

I think that he forgets how many great 5 star hotels he is competing with in Bangkok.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Jan 5, 2014 at 4:14 am
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:07 am

What a jerk this Hardie sounds like. just vote with your $'s and never stay at the ROS. I don't
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
It is not all negative. He is a hands-on manager and is frequently on the floor and readily available to guests. He is amiable and addresses issues.

His management style, however, is somewhat like Smisek's at United. He gives Platinums (and I assume all guests) what he is obligated to give and no more. The hotel, however, was well managed.

What he was unwilling to do was incur additional costs he didn't need to or cut profit items (e.g., internet costs), even though the direct competition was doing so (at the time, it was the Conrad that had started providing internet for free on the Club level).

For me, the effect was that I stopped staying at the Westin and the Conrad saw more of my business. Was the internet the only reason? No, but it was indicative of why I left.

That's the problem with such management styles. When you cut below what the competition is offering, and prices are similar, a percentage of customers will leave. Based on the posts I am seeing here about the W Bangkok, that seems to be happening there.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:04 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Mr Hardie told me that platinums in Bangkok have been spoiled.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

I too had a run-in with him at WGS almost ten years ago that left a very very sour taste in the mouth. Incredibly arrogant man. I promised myself never to return at a property where he is the GM. ROS is thus now on my do-not-stay list.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:08 am

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.