Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 6:55 am

I just completed a stay there this weekend. There is a new manager at the Kitchen Table who introduced himself to me one morning - breakfast is massively improved from my stay in November. It's better than what they were offering pre-pandemic, IMO. They have seemed to filled up the staff at the Kitchen Table so that clearing tables can keep up with the amount of guests. It was busy over the weekend, plenty of people staying were coming in for the Blackpink concert - myself included. No suites were available at check in, but the assistant manager emailed me the day prior letting me know. After check in, the assistant manager emailed me and told me an upgrade was available and offered to assist me in moving my luggage the following morning when I left the room. I was upgraded to the Penfolds suite on the 30th floor - a studio suite with red Penfolds decor. Even had a Penfolds alcohol light up display and red silk Penfolds bath robes. Fully stocked with Penfolds in the room as well, which would have been nice if I drank alcohol.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
There has been concerns about the poor choice of restaurants around the W Bangkok, but I really think the offering is in fact pretty good around.

The Woo Bar is closed and the construction for the new concept should last for a couple of months, but the bar at The House on Sathorn is doing well, next the Paii, a Thai fusion restaurant.

Although the Sathorn Place (building next door to the W, with a 7Eleven) no longer has the restaurants or bars at the top of their building (Koi, The Club Koi, Ku De Ta, Ce La Vi Bangkok), but still has small restaurants and cafes on the first floor (Dean & DeLuca, Bowlito with Mexican food, FarmFactory with healthy food, Starbucks, Rice & Noodle Express).

The Cube @ MahaNakhon also lost good restaurants (L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, the largest Dean & DeLuca in Bangkok and Vogue Cafe) when the ownership of the MahaNakhon building changed, but it now has a bunch of places where you can get fed:
Thai restaurants on the 2nd floor: https://kingpowermahanakhon.co.th/th...hanakhon-cube/
European, American & Mexican restaurants on the first floor: https://mahanakhoncube.com/mahanakhon-eatery/
It also has a Sports Bar https://mahanakhoncube.com/portfolio...g-board-bar-2/
There is also a SkyRoof bar on the 78th (?) floor of the MahaNakhon building https://kingpowermahanakhon.co.th/plan-your-visit/

There are also the restaurants at the Standard hotel, inside the MahaNakhon tower https://www.standardhotels.com/bangk...kok#food_drink

Sathorn Soi 10, 12 and Pan Rd still has numerous interesting restaurants and the area is very pleasant during the evening.

A new budget / design hotel also just opened on Sathorn Soi 12 .https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/soc...-neighbourhood

https://bkkfoodie.com/sathorn-restaurants/
dw and EuropeanPete like this.

Last edited by UASPG; Jul 1, 2023 at 7:37 pm
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The bar (now "The Lounge") just re-opened.

Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Looks decent, are the pics taken at night or is the light from the front entrance not coming in now and blocked off?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by chanp
Looks decent, are the pics taken at night or is the light from the front entrance not coming in now and blocked off?
Re."decent"

The adjectives that usually reflect the W's image are "Marvelous", "Spectacular", "Fantastic", "Wonderful", "Wow", "Extreme Wow", so if it is only perceived as "decent", it might disappoint some.
The bar is not fully completed yet, so the additional pieces might add some W's energy.

The 2 first pics were taken during the evening and the 3rd on during the day time.
One of the 2 bar accesses probably let some light from the hotel entrance.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by UASPG
Re."decent"

The adjectives that usually reflect the W's image are "Marvelous", "Spectacular", "Fantastic", "Wonderful", "Wow", "Extreme Wow", so if it is only perceived as "decent", it might disappoint some.
Over-promise and under-deliver is the W brand slogan though.
Will08 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Has that bar been refurbished? Looks pretty much the same as last time I was there in 2022? Certainly the seats at the bar seem familiar
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
All adjectives that the 'W' may want to portray or want me to feel, just don't do it for me anymore. Maybe that's why I said decent. When they first opened up years ago, I got those adjectives, not anymore. I like the hotel, have had some great times there, but there are many other places I'd rather be.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted by UASPG
Re."decent"

The bar is not fully completed yet, so the additional pieces might add some W's energy.

The 2 first pics were taken during the evening and the 3rd on during the day time.
One of the 2 bar accesses probably let some light from the hotel entrance.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I had a 3 night stay recently, I had all my meetings in towers just around the hotel, so avoiding any taxis and being able to walk to the meetings in max 5 minutes made the hotel a logical choice.

First night was really for a 6am arrival at the hotel, to make sure there was early check-in. I got quite a bit of communication in advance, including an email apologising that all suites were booked during my stay, so my upgrade would be limited.

I arrived quite early from my flight, and once I selected breakfast as my welcome amenity, I was offered go for breakfast (in the end reached the hotel after breakfast started due to a flight delay). I got one of the larger rooms were the building curves. Very nice, but maybe a bit subdued for a W. Also as part of the elite benefits, in lieu of a lounge, two drink tickets that covered most cocktails on the menus at the bars. No Louis XIII based cocktails included.

Breakfast was great, many options, I did develop an afinity for the Thai milk tea croissants. The options varied by day, but some stables was there. Eggs made to order ordered off the menu.

We had lunch at Paii twice, which was quite good, but also quite pricey for Bangkok. I had my one drink coupon in The House on Sathorn bar, and one on the lobby bar (forget the name of the bar now), creative and good cocktails in both places.

The gym was surprisingly small, decently equipped for the space, but I certainly had better hotel gyms. I did not use the pool deck, but it looked nice.

Service was generally good. But probably more general luxury hotel than truly W. Which to some people may not be an entirely bad thing.

Room

Room

Room

Gym

Gym

House on Sathorn

Lunch at Paii

Lunch at Paii

Lunch at Paii

The courtyard at House on Sathorn

The Thai milk tea croissant

Salmon omelette

Mediterranean scrambled eggs

Thai steamed egg.

Lobby bar cocktail

House on Sathorn cocktail
Alawyer, chanp, reggiekush and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
With limited suites especially over busy periods like this upcoming Songkran weekend, suite upgrades are still rare here. Unless you really need the points, the breakfast at the excellent Kitchen Table is a great welcome amenity.

For BTS access, though the new St Louis station is closer, it is still easier to go through the Sathorn Mall next door connecting to the skybridge to Chong Nonsi.

Thanks CPH Flyer for the tip to use our drink coupons at the House at Sathorn. This was the most impresssive welcome drink I have in a while!

Stunning Bar at Sathorn

Welcome lychee martini with sakura

Drinks with a view. Pity its too hot to sit outside

Eggs menu at breakfast
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti; IHG Pt, IC Amb; Accor Ag; Agoda VIP/Pt
Unable to "like" the last two fantastic posts from CPH-Flyer and Alawyer. This property has moved to the top of two of my lists: must-stays next trip to Bangkok, and W hotels in the region I need to check out this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.